Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 17:29   #541
BHPian

re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Hello all,

I've got a pair of Foster Grant Ironman sunglasses left behind by a friend a few years ago and never returned. The lenses have gotten quite badly scratched over time. I'd like to have them replaced.
I know Foster Grants aren't the world's most expensive sunglasses (20-25 dollars on average, according to the www) but I'm very comfortable with them, and don't really want to splurge on stuff like Maui Jim or Ray Ban. Are lenses for my cheap sunglasses available somewhere in India?

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 20th February 2013, 18:28   #542
ACS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
You have many options of lenses that incorporate your prescription.

Essilor, Zeiss, Kodak and many other brands have fixed tints that can help you. Mauijim and Rayban also have prescriptions.

Which stores did you visit in Blore?
Thanks beejay!! I need to visit an optician and check my latest power as its been more than 6 months I did so. I will PM you the details as soon as I consult someone.

I used to visit Reliance, Titan showrooms. Could you please let me know the methods which will suffice my needs? Do I need to buy the Sunglasses from a showroom and give it to the normal Optical store? Or Can I get it both done in single shop? Please advise.

Cheers!
Old 20th February 2013, 18:36   #543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Hello all,

I know Foster Grants aren't the world's most expensive sunglasses (20-25 dollars on average, according to the www) but I'm very comfortable with them, and don't really want to splurge on stuff like Maui Jim or Ray Ban. Are lenses for my cheap sunglasses available somewhere in India?

Cheers,
Rahul
You can get replacements in acrylic for lesser than 10 dollars. Most opticians will have them ready and a wide array of color to choose from too. Getting an exact shade would not be possible for some tints, however I am sure you will get a close match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS View Post
Thanks beejay!! I need to visit an optician and check my latest power as its been more than 6 months I did so. I will PM you the details as soon as I consult someone.

I used to visit Reliance, Titan showrooms. Could you please let me know the methods which will suffice my needs? Do I need to buy the Sunglasses from a showroom and give it to the normal Optical store? Or Can I get it both done in single shop? Please advise.

Cheers!
Best ids to get both done in a single shop.
Old 22nd February 2013, 13:03   #544
BHPian

Quote:
I will post a picture here as I dont think you will find it in the Mauijim website. recommending the HT as you mentioned dawn and dusk.
Are they the same ones that are up on the Maui Jim Facebook page? Had a couple of questions that would be great to get your inputs on as well:
  • Any recommended non-chain stores you'd recommend in South Delhi with a good collection of Maui Jims?
  • Is there anyway, anyway at all, that a Rx lens can be fitted on the Sugar Beach? It is one of the few sunglasses that is really pushing me to consider LASIK (the other being my Oakley Juliets)
  • What are the typical prices for Maui Jim Rx lenses and are they made in India?
  • Any recommendations on converting Oakley Juliets into Rx in India? Preferably with polarized lenses, similar to the Fire Polarzied ones I have now?
  • Any chance of getting the Oakley Juliet frame accessory kits here? My rubber nosebridge is starting to disinterate

Thats a lot of questions Thanks for answering if you have the time
Old 26th February 2013, 11:11   #545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Are they the same ones that are up on the Maui Jim Facebook page? Had a couple of questions that would be great to get your inputs on as well:
  • Any recommended non-chain stores you'd recommend in South Delhi with a good collection of Maui Jims?
  • Is there anyway, anyway at all, that a Rx lens can be fitted on the Sugar Beach? It is one of the few sunglasses that is really pushing me to consider LASIK (the other being my Oakley Juliets)
  • What are the typical prices for Maui Jim Rx lenses and are they made in India?
  • Any recommendations on converting Oakley Juliets into Rx in India? Preferably with polarized lenses, similar to the Fire Polarzied ones I have now?
  • Any chance of getting the Oakley Juliet frame accessory kits here? My rubber nosebridge is starting to disinterate
Thats a lot of questions Thanks for answering if you have the time
1. There are many dealers for the MJ range in Delhi, here is the info from the store locator. http://www.mauijim.com/store-locator/

2. The Sugar Beach cannot be fit with prescription.

3. The MJ Rx are made in Peoria, USA. The plano range starts at 6790MRP and the Rx starts at 13800MRP. These are MRP, I am sure you would get deals if you search hard and at the right places.

4&5. Both are possible. Get in touch with an authorised oakley dealer.
Old 27th February 2013, 09:23   #546
BHPian

Quote:
1. There are many dealers for the MJ range in Delhi, here is the info from the store locator. http://www.mauijim.com/store-locator/

2. The Sugar Beach cannot be fit with prescription.

3. The MJ Rx are made in Peoria, USA. The plano range starts at 6790MRP and the Rx starts at 13800MRP. These are MRP, I am sure you would get deals if you search hard and at the right places.

4&5. Both are possible. Get in touch with an authorised oakley dealer.
Thanks Beejay! Sad about the Sugar Beach, contacts it has to be
Old 28th February 2013, 09:30   #547
Senior - BHPian

Hello Folks & Beejay,

I would like to know if anyone has the Cartier Santos model sunglass and your feedback about the same?

This is the model in (picture from internet) question

Sunglasses you own and wear thread-3e53k93ib5e25ka5h5d2r6043fe4fed4c1de0.jpg

Also tell me is it possible to put prescription sunglass on to this frame.
Old 28th February 2013, 09:39   #548
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Hello Folks & Beejay,

I would like to know if anyone has the Cartier Santos model sunglass and your feedback about the same?

This is the model in (picture from internet) question

Attachment 1056571

Also tell me is it possible to put prescription sunglass on to this frame.
Hello Siva,

I have a Santos from the 2012 line that I have fit with Oakley Plano lenses. I will post a picture in the next post.

The picture that you have posted appears to be from an older collection. Be wary as Cartier has superb replicas and it is almost impossible to identify.

The picture that you have posted can be easily fit with prescription, single vision only. If you do progressive (multifocal) you will compromise on the near vision.

This tint is easy.

Hello Siva,

Here is the picture of me with the 2012 Santos.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the Multi-quote feature to reply to multiple posts, instead of submitting back to back posts. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-cartier.jpg  

Last edited by n_aditya : 24th April 2013 at 15:10. Reason: Posts merged
Old 1st March 2013, 13:21   #549
BHPian

I just got my hands on Maui Jim Breakwall sunglasses.

For last 5-6 years I was using Fastrack. They were bought for less than a thousand bucks. They gave me solid company on my regular drives to Mangalore, Karwar, Pondicherry, Goa. But over time they had gotten old, discoloured, and I was looking to replace them.

Sadly, during a brief stop on the highway, I removed the fastrack and kept them on the roof of the car, while washing my face. Towelled my face dry and then zoomed off, leaving the sunglasses behind.

They were deposited somewhere between Bangalore and Mangalore highway :( Realised I didnt have my glasses after a few kilometers. But I just drove on.

(Learnt a valuable lesson: never leave sunglasses or any items on the roof of the car)

After that went without sunglasses for about 3 weeks. On a whim, checked if Team-BHP has a sunglasses thread and was captivated by the models and discussions here.

thought of splurging on a better quality model and especially with polarised lens.

Then after reading some reviews and this thread, I decided to order my MJ from Beejay. He was quick in his reponses and prompt with the despatch of the sunglasses. I was unsure whether to go for neutral grey or MT. Then upon Beejay's suggestion.. I opted for neutral grey as MT was more for low light conditions. I need these glases while driving in normal /harsh sunlight - so neutral grey it was.

Wore it and went for a short drive today and happy with it. I have a Goa trip coming up in a fortnight and looking forward to using the MJ-Breakwall on the Goa run.

A special thanks to Beejay for his help.

Last edited by Wagoner : 1st March 2013 at 13:30. Reason: (added the word "years" in the second paragraph)
Old 5th April 2013, 13:03   #550
BHPian

How are these MTV sunglasses on sale at Jabong ? MRP is close to 4k and they give it for 999.
Old 5th April 2013, 13:44   #551
Senior - BHPian

Hi Beejay,

Is both MJ Breakwall and Lighthouse having same lens configuration.
In MJ indian site, lighthouse has PolarizedPlus 2, Polycarbonate, ClearShell Scratch Coating.
But ClearShell Scratch Coating is missing in Breakwall.
Might be the mistake in website.
Just want to ensure both the models are same.
How can I order a piece from you, price of above said models and money transfer? Please PM.

Thanx,
Karthik. A

Last edited by aks_karthik : 5th April 2013 at 13:48.
Old 5th April 2013, 14:19   #552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks_karthik View Post
Hi Beejay,

Is both MJ Breakwall and Lighthouse having same lens configuration.
In MJ indian site, lighthouse has PolarizedPlus 2, Polycarbonate, ClearShell Scratch Coating.
But ClearShell Scratch Coating is missing in Breakwall.
Might be the mistake in website.
Just want to ensure both the models are same.
How can I order a piece from you, price of above said models and money transfer? Please PM.

Thanx,
Karthik. A
The Breakwall and the Lighthouse have the same lens properties. Shatter proof, polycarbonate base lens with waterproof and oleophobic coating, anti reflective treatment, clearshell scratch resistant, color enhancement and with the polorizing plus 2 technology.
Old 24th April 2013, 12:34   #553
Senior - BHPian

What I got myself. Mont Blanc 402s_02b
Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-mb402s_02b.jpg  

Last edited by beejay : 24th April 2013 at 12:38.
Old 24th April 2013, 12:56   #554
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What I got myself. Mont Blanc 402s_02b
Looks nice ,where is this available in blore and cost please ?
Old 24th April 2013, 13:01   #555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
Looks nice ,where is this available in blore and cost please ?
Thank you, I think you will find it at Lawrence&Mayo near Barton Center. The price is 25200INR. Also try GKB Opticals in MG Road.

Last edited by beejay : 24th April 2013 at 13:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks