Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2015, 08:21   #661
BHPian

re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

After much hiatus, took the plunge and bought my first ever branded sunglass. Maui Jim Sugar Beach. Thanks to TBhp/beejay on enlightening about Maui Jim. This is one of the best polaroid glasses i have ever seen. For some reason, once i wear it and step outside, the world look so colorful and clear. The lens/technology used is better than gods creation, the human eye.
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-mauijimsugarbeachsmokegreysunglasses.jpg
Old 28th May 2015, 14:04   #662
BHPian

Re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Bought my first sun glass - Maui Jim Sugar Beech, natural grey colour lens. Using it while driving to office. The way it cuts out sun glare and harshness is amazing. The colours look crisp, rich, and vibrant. It is very light weight.

Sunglasses you own and wear thread-p1080066.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 28th May 2015 at 15:58. Reason: Inserting image in post
Old 9th June 2015, 21:20   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post
Bought my first sun glass - Maui Jim Sugar Beech, natural grey colour lens. Using it while driving to office. The way it cuts out sun glare and harshness is amazing. The colours look crisp, rich, and vibrant. It is very light weight.
Excellent choice. I'm using the Lighthouse and High Tide. They are superb.
Old 10th June 2015, 10:33   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by murillo View Post

Attachment 1375841
Looks nice. Cost & from?
Old 10th June 2015, 13:03   #665
Team-BHP Support

I have a Fast Track glass, similar to what RB wayfarer offers. Would like to go for a more premium sun-glass. But design has to be similar & don't prefer the metal ones.

Problem is, I have access to very small shops and at best a Shoppers Stop and I would like to try out one prior to buying.

Or should I settle for wayfarer? Like the design of Oakleys. How much do they cost & availability?
Old 10th June 2015, 18:54   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Excellent choice. I'm using the Lighthouse and High Tide. They are superb.
Thanks. Lighthouse and High Tide look great. I wanted circle/oval/aviator-shaped glasses to go with my squarish face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Looks nice. Cost & from?
Thanks. Bought from Lawrence & Mayo in Chennai. They had a limited-period offer where they gave as % discount the number I get when I threw the dice. For a second sunglass purchase, they doubled that %, but I didn't go for it. The MRP of Sugar Beach is INR 7,790 and after discount, I got it for INR 7,080.

Went to GKB Opticals too prior to purchase; they had the Sugar Beach but no discount. However, GKB's customer service is excellent and the sales guy proactively showed the different glasses and discussed about them, even though eventually I didn't buy.
Old 11th June 2015, 00:17   #667
BHPian

Does Shoppers Stop too sell fake stuff? Recently my colleague bought a pair of Rayban Wayfarer from SS, InOrbit mall, Hyderabad. While we were checking it later, we saw a lot of rough edges and the "Rayban" metal logo on the frame was not seated properly with one side sticking out compared to the other which was well embedded in the plastic frame. He eventually returned it for another pair. Was pretty shocked to see something like this from SS.
Old 19th June 2015, 18:39   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Does Shoppers Stop too sell fake stuff? Recently my colleague bought a pair of Rayban Wayfarer from SS, InOrbit mall, Hyderabad. While we were checking it later, we saw a lot of rough edges and the "Rayban" metal logo on the frame was not seated properly with one side sticking out compared to the other which was well embedded in the plastic frame. He eventually returned it for another pair. Was pretty shocked to see something like this from SS.

Ray ban as a brand changed its parents. It was earlier the poster child of bausch and lomb but later, the brand got acquired by Luxottica which is an Italian company that holds around 80% of sunglasses industry. Luxottica makes tons of sunglasses, mass made for various brands including Rayban. They have licensed brands from major fashion houses as well.
Rayban is not now what it used to be.

Watch this for an eye opener

Last edited by Accent Martin : 19th June 2015 at 18:42.
Accent Martin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 18:49   #669
BHPian

I wear Maui JIm - Red Sands. Its brilliant. I wish there was a better adjective in dictionary to mean the supremacy of sunglasses from Maui Jim. The sunglasses are expensive, but trust me, you will fall in love with it like I do. Excellent feel while driving or just being outdoors.

Prior to this I used to wear POLICE aviator model. I still have it and like that too but no comparison to the comfort offered by Maui Jim.
Old 22nd June 2015, 11:16   #670
Senior - BHPian

Came across this thread only recently and here is my contribution which includes my latest and long awaited acquisition.

The first from top is a Harley-Davidson design industrial eyewear . I don't remember the name of the manufacturer.

The second one is a Fasttrack which I purchased because of its shape and soft inside cushioning, which was useful when riding with an open face helmet or visor-less one.

The Aviators is something I always wanted and kept away due to the price. Was gifted one few weeks back.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img_20150620_093316.jpg  

Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img_20150620_093342.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2015, 12:00   #671
BHPian

My set of Ray Ban glasses and also got a storage box for this. Also got a Maui Jim Polaroid glasses.
Attached Thumbnails
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img_20150529_123901.jpg  

Old 3rd July 2015, 14:59   #672
vdm
BHPian

Ray ban as a brand changed its parents. It was earlier the poster child of bausch and lomb but later, the brand got acquired by Luxottica which is an Italian company that holds around 80% of sunglasses industry. Luxottica makes tons of sunglasses, mass made for various brands including Rayban. They have licensed brands from major fashion houses as well.
Rayban is not now what it used to be.

Watch this for an eye opener

Well it's amazing to know that Luxottica rules the sunglasses market. It was an eye opener that most of the fashion brands are licensed to them.
Any ways on the other note I also have a pair of Ray Ban coolers for myself.
Old 15th July 2015, 05:15   #673
BHPian

I wear sunglasses from FILA Sport. While driving and sun directly on my eyes, I am feeling that the efficacy of UV protection is probably going down with time. It is comfortable and does not feel even if wore for a few hours continuously, a problem that I faced with previous few sunglasses.

Need to explore Maui Jim at the time of next purchase, exceptional praise all along as I read through the thread.
Old 25th August 2015, 15:32   #674
BHPian

Hi beejay I am looking at acquiring Maui Jim Waterways myself. However, I would like prescription lenses too. I don't have the privileges to PM you. Could you please PM me with your contact details?
Old 29th December 2015, 22:08   #675
BHPian

Got my first branded sunglasses last Saturday.

Maui Jim waterways!!. Thanks for the information in this thread which help me in buying.

Been using for my office drives, its been amazing, reduction in glare and the clarity of the vision.

Brought it through flipkart, got a good discount. Hope we may mot have to worry about the fakes through flipkart.

Most Viewed