Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2009, 12:04   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Due to watch " Michael Clayton" tonight. Any pointers regarding the movie?
Old 4th May 2009, 12:10   #302
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Already been reviewed. Clooney is good, but too much of economic gibberish, and twist and turns, i got lost somewhere in between.
Not a bore, though.
Old 4th May 2009, 12:15   #303
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Already been reviewed. Clooney is good, but too much of economic gibberish, and twist and turns, i got lost somewhere in between.
Not a bore, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Not a bad movie! Sometimes you get the feeling that it is real slow but the editing is pretty good.

Quote:
GOOD WILL HUNTING

Bennyboy Rating : ****
Did you know the story was from Matt Damon and Ben Affleck themselves?
Old 4th May 2009, 13:01   #304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
The Spirit: 2.5
Eva Mendes acts in this
And You forgot Scarlett Johansson!
Old 4th May 2009, 13:22   #305
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Did you know the story was from Matt Damon and Ben Affleck themselves?
Oh, yes! I did notice that among the credits. The story as such was nothing remarkable... its just the screenplay along with the performances from the cast which redeemed it.
Old 4th May 2009, 13:33   #306
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh, yes! I did notice that among the credits. The story as such was nothing remarkable... its just the screenplay along with the performances from the cast which redeemed it.
Agreed!

Am not sure but the folks did receive some award for the story alone.
Old 5th May 2009, 15:34   #307
BHPian

Quote:
Some small things made the movie interesting for me. For example, in the scene where Sean Maguire (Robin Williams) in his psychology class introduces Prof. Lambeau to the students as Fields medal winner in combinatorial mathematics, he comments, "It's a really big deal. It's like the Nobel prize for math. Except they only give it out once every four years. It's a great thing." Having been a mathematics researcher myself I knew that Fields medal is indeed a great thing and I never expected any mention of this in a commercial movie.
Old 5th May 2009, 16:01   #308
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Having been a mathematics researcher myself I knew that Fields medal is indeed a great thing and I never expected any mention of this in a commercial movie.
That's where Hollywood stands out. They are just too good with their research before they get into movie making
Old 5th May 2009, 16:24   #309
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Having been a mathematics researcher myself I knew that Fields medal is indeed a great thing and I never expected any mention of this in a commercial movie.
That's hardly surprising, most hollywood writers do extensive research before writing the script.

Guess where many of us first learnt about Limited Slip Differential (Positraction) and Independent suspension?

Answer: Mona Lisa Vito (She won an Oscar of this role)

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104952/quotes
Mona Lisa Vito: The car that made these two, equal-length tire marks had positraction. You can't make those marks without positraction, which was not available on the '64 Buick Skylark!
Vinny Gambini: And why not? What is positraction?
Mona Lisa Vito: It's a limited slip differential which distributes power equally to both the right and left tires. The '64 Skylark had a regular differential, which, anyone who's been stuck in the mud in Alabama knows, you step on the gas, one tire spins, the other tire does nothing.
[the jury members nod, with murmurs of "yes," "that's right," etc]
Vinny Gambini: Is that it?
Mona Lisa Vito: No, there's more! You see? When the left tire mark goes up on the curb and the right tire mark stays flat and even? Well, the '64 Skylark had a solid rear axle, so when the left tire would go up on the curb, the right tire would tilt out and ride along its edge. But that didn't happen here. The tire mark stayed flat and even. This car had an independent rear suspension. Now, in the '60's, there were only two other cars made in America that had positraction, and independent rear suspension, and enough power to make these marks. One was the Corvette, which could never be confused with the Buick Skylark. The other had the same body length, height, width, weight, wheel base, and wheel track as the '64 Skylark, and that was the 1963 Pontiac Tempest.
Old 5th May 2009, 16:36   #310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
That's hardly surprising, most hollywood writers do extensive research before writing the script.

Guess where many of us first learnt about Limited Slip Differential (Positraction) and Independent suspension?

And guess what. Bollywood is going to make a copy of this movie, My Cousin Vinny, and it will be called Bandaa Ye Bindass Hai starring Govinda. Sheer sacrilege. Apparently, 20th Century Fox has moved the court against BR Films.
Old 5th May 2009, 16:44   #311
Senior - BHPian

Wow it was long ago that I saw the movie & while I could understand some bit of the tire thing I never understood how she could pin point the difference & after so many years now I know what she was talking about(after reading Samurai's post)

Thanks Samurai
Old 5th May 2009, 17:52   #312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Thanks Samurai for the rewind of My Cousin Vinny.
Old 5th May 2009, 18:00   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And guess what. Bollywood is going to make a copy of this movie, My Cousin Vinny, and it will be called Bandaa Ye Bindass Hai starring Govinda. Sheer sacrilege. Apparently, 20th Century Fox has moved the court against BR Films.
Dont tell me. Govinda in the role of Vincent Gambini, movie is already ruined just with that thought

@Samurai, thanks for those dialogues, i must have seen this movie over 5 times and never got bored of it. Marisa Tomie was supremely awesome and outdid Joe Pesci in quite a few scenes ( my favorite dialogue is when she retorts to Joe when he asks her how his trousers are looking when he's going out for hunting with the prosecutor)
Old 5th May 2009, 18:06   #314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
And guess what. Bollywood is going to make a copy of this movie, My Cousin Vinny, and it will be called Bandaa Ye Bindass Hai starring Govinda.
A Marathi version was released in 2005, "Kaydyacha Bola".

Thanks for jogging the memory Samurai
Old 5th May 2009, 18:06   #315
Senior - BHPian

WATCHMEN-
Saw this in TGIP mall Noida yesterday.
2.45 hours long(We were wondering if there is interval in this movie as first half was nearly 1.30 hours!)
You can do yourself a favor and avoid this movie.
Nothing good to write about this so called Superhero movie- oh yes one thing- we were glad it finished.

Rating - 1/5 (1 is for few special effects i liked)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks