Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 12:51   #3331
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

I have been a bigflix member for almost 3 years now, but recently, it's gone to the dogs. They hardly add new DVDs to their collection in the last 6 months or so. I think ADAG's cash crunch is also hitting bigflix. I can see the following DVDs which are available in Showtime Video Library but not available in Bigflix
------------------------------------------------
Rakta Charithra 2
You Again
Wall Street, the money never sleeps
Dinner for Schmucks
Going the Distance
Crazy Beautiful
Leap Year
She is out of my League
The Invention of Lying
Couples Retreat
The Backup-Plan
Peepli Live
24 Season 8
500 days of Summer
The Nanny Diaries
The Tooth Fairy
All about Steve
------------------------------------------------

I take the 2 DVDs at a time unlimited plan from Bigflix. The same plan is far more expensive at Showtime - otherwise I would have moved from Bigflix to Showtime. Also, Showtime is a bit quirky - even if their policy says you can keep non new DVDS for any number of days, their delivery guy comes to pick it up in 2 days sharp & you have complain to their headoffice.

Are there any other decent delivery libraries in Mumbai offering plans at a cost similar to Bigflix?
Old 14th February 2011, 14:40   #3332
BHPian

Watched "The Rite" on saturday. I was in two minds before going to the cinema because the movie has received mostly negative reviews. Critics be damned, The Rite is actually a very good movie. The dark atmosphere that builds up as events progress through the movie, makes you feel like you have actually been in the presence of malicious satanic forces that torment the characters.

This movie is based on a book which in turn was based on true events. The director actually attended seminars on exorcism at the Vatican and consulted real life exorcists during the making of this film. Watch the film for what it is - a thriller about exorcism. Don't go in expecting a frightfest like the Exorcist.(like all the pea brained reviewers)
Old 14th February 2011, 15:41   #3333
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
This movie also goes by another name - "The boat that rocked".
Yeah, this movie was good but, nothing great. I was expecting a rollercoaster brit comedy. But, worth a watch once for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I have been a bigflix member for almost 3 years now, but recently, it's gone to the dogs. They hardly add new DVDs to their collection in the last 6 months or so.
I am also a member almost since last 3 years and have no complaints as there is still a long list of movies that I need to cover. I dont agree they arent adding more DVD's. Infact, they are adding more DVD's in last 6 months than ever.

Their logistics management is simply the best. Never a missed delivery nor pick-up and quality of DVD's also great.

However, assuming their membership is growing multifold, I note any movie that I wish to see is added to queue shows as " available" but, when i movie it up the ladder status immediately changes to " Short Wait" " Long Wait" etc. This is really frustrating.

Otherwise, i am happy how things are going

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Watched "The Rite" on saturday. I was in two minds before going to the cinema because the movie has received mostly negative reviews. Critics be damned, The Rite is actually a very good movie.
I was disappointed to read the reviews and decided to chuck it. Going by what you mentioned, then it should really be a worth watch knowing your taste

Watched " Book of Eli" starring Denzel Washington.

I had some guests at home and was not paying too much attention and found the movie color landscape used, religious overtone, combat style and environs of the movie too apoclayptic and not to my liking.

Must have watched half of it ( only because of Denzel) before going back to socializing which was more entertaining

1.5/5

P.S : Next in line " Cheaper by Dozen-2" starring Steve Martin and Eugene Levy.Any reviews?
Old 14th February 2011, 16:24   #3334
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am also a member almost since last 3 years and have no complaints as there is still a long list of movies that I need to cover. I dont agree they arent adding more DVD's. Infact, they are adding more DVD's in last 6 months than ever.
Check the list I have given. Most of them have been available in Showtime for more than more or sometimes few months now. But not there in Bigflix.

24 Season 8 was released in December on DVD still not available.

Quote:

Their logistics management is simply the best. Never a missed delivery nor pick-up and quality of DVD's also great.
It's good without being great. In the last 1 year, I have had movies not being delivered thrice - i.e. I got an SMS/Email that 'x' movie is being delivered today. The movie showed in my account on the website. Suddenly in the middle of the day, the movie didn't disappeared from my account & I didn't get delivery either.
Their TV serials are badly mislabeled - I have faced this at least 10 times in the last year. If you order "Yes, Minister, Season 1, Disc1", there is a 50%+ chance that you will be delivered "Yes, Prime Minister, Season 1, Disc1", The Disc cover will show "Yes, Prime Minister", but their bar code sticker will say "Yes, Minister". If you order Cheers Season 4, Disc1, there is a good chance you may get any disc of Season 4 - say Disc 3. And next day, when you order Disc 2, you may again get Disc 3.

The quality of discs is decent. But once in a couple of months, I get a bad disc. The worst thing about the bad disc is that it will play well for 1 hour & then totally stop playing. You have seen most of the movie, so it's not worth ordering the movie again, but you will miss the ending. And reporting this as bad serves no purpose, I think they just pop it into the DVD & check for the first few minutes.

Quote:

However, assuming their membership is growing multifold, I note any movie that I wish to see is added to queue shows as " available" but, when i movie it up the ladder status immediately changes to " Short Wait" " Long Wait" etc. This is really frustrating.
Yup. Any movie which is at position 11 or above usually shows available - till you try to move it up. Another thing is that some movies are available in stores in your city, but not for delivery in your city. So when you go to this movie page, it will allow you to queue it, but it will show up as Red in your queue - i.e. you will never get it.

They also have closed down the store nearest to my house a couple of months back.

Their website search used to work well till 8-9 months back. Since then it's been totally broken.

All that said, it's still good value for money, except for the fact they are not adding movies at a good pace in the last 6 months or so.
Old 14th February 2011, 16:43   #3335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhay View Post
Finally got hold of Inception on DVD. Complicated but sometimes too complicated for its own good. But definitely a movie worth seeing. Not sure on all the hype it generated though. Too much action in the dreams and not enough substance ruined it for me.

I still think Shutter Island was better in terms of story-telling and "suspense" (is it real or not?)
Stole the words right out of my mouth. I felt the exact same way about Inception - much to the displeasure of some fellow members here

On the other hand I liked Shutter Island much better. Man I've had this exact same discussion on this thread before, Or is it Deja Vu?(which also happens to be a nice sci-fi flick)

Quote:

I was disappointed to read the reviews and decided to chuck it. Going by what you mentioned, then it should really be a worth watch knowing your taste
I'm a man of Bad Taste! Some of my favorite flicks have put people off food for a few days!!

You should definitely check this movie out if you're fascinated by the occult. Though it's dark and eerie, don't expect it to be scary.
Old 14th February 2011, 17:56   #3336
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I'm a man of Bad Taste! Some of my favorite flicks have put people off food for a few days!!
I mentioned that because your taste for horror/thriller seem in a different league than most of us here ( including me). And, I am also a man of different taste. What most people like, I somehow dont. There's nothing wrong in it.

We are just born different

@Carboy, I am a one-disc member and paid a measly sum for first 2 years.

1 yr : Rs.1800/Annum
2 Yr : Rs. 2400/Annum
3 Yr : Dont remember the exact amount but, it higher

So for the price that I pay, it's indeed VFM and dont expect them to stock the latest releases within a few weeks from release

I watch maybe 3 movies a week or sometimes a little more. I never ordered serials till date and dont intend to as I dont have so much bandwidth/patience to go through them so cannot comment about its quality et.all but, there is still a long list of english movies that I need to cover before i start complaining about the lack of DVD's on Bigflix.

Btw, there was never a single miss of delivery nor pick-up till date. So I bow to them for this singular reason. Also, it just happened maybe twice or thrice what i reserved was not delivered but, a different one. Heck! I dont even think it matters.

I reckon you have covered most of the good cinema already, so you feel there is dearth of good movies on Bigflix. So you see, what doesnt work for you, works for me.

That is how the need of each customer differs

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th February 2011 at 17:59.
Old 14th February 2011, 22:53   #3337
BHPian

Movies watched over the weekend.

Devil: Thriller by M Night shyamalan(as a producer)

I probably have watched all the movies from M night,of his thriller/scary category. I wont say that it is was great, but somehow i felt after watching that it was a good movie. Five people trapped in an elevator and weird things start happening.

There is always a sadistic part in his movies on how the characters are connected.If you are a shyamalan fan it is a must watch.

Rating : 4/5

Due Date : Funny at parts.Not a pot boiling comedy.
Robert downey Jr, Zach Galifixxxxxx ( I could not spell it out, but i know you will get it)

Both the actors played well with characterizations, zach turns out to be man with similar profile from hangover,doing silly things and frustrating Rob all the way when he is on his way for the birth of his first child, travelling cross country with zach.

Funny things happen on the way as long as Zach is with Rob.

Rating 3/5

Godfather :

I guess i should be the latest latif in watching Godfather, but its never to late to anything. An epic movie on how the mafia used to play their cards in 60's-70's. Thier take on certain aspects, rules which they want to follow and other families who try to intervene and the result of the conflict which consumed whole families.

Marlon Brando and Al Pacino are just awesome. The scene wherein scholezzo and tuckey arrange a meeting with michael was just terrific. Now I understood what Sarkar from Ramu meant, and why Godfather was his inspiration.

Such a coincidence that we had a similar kind of personality who was such a strong influence in Maharashtra politics and was a perfect plot for ramu to make a movie out of this.

Rating : 5/5
Old 15th February 2011, 09:51   #3338
BHPian

Saw Godfather 3 for the first time on TV. Had seen 1&2 many years ago and the first part still remains one of the best movies I have seen. ut for some reason I didnt see the 3rd part.

I must say its a great movie, with a very intense performance by Al Pacino. Great movie and one that I should have seen a lot earlier.

4.5/5
Old 15th February 2011, 11:34   #3339
BHPian

I have been a big fan of Anne Hathaway. She is so British-like, yet retains that X-factor when it comes to more adventurous roles. My genre is romance and comedy when it comes to movies and my all-time favourites are:

1) The Devil wears Prada - Anne Hathaway (Romantic comedy)
2) Kingdom of Heaven - Orlando Bloom (Hostoric)
3) What women want - Mel Gibson (Romantic comedy)
4) In Good Company - Scarlett Johansson (Romance)
5) Wedding Crashers - Owen Wilson (Romantic Comedy)
6) Music and Lyrics - Hugh Grant & Drew Barrymore (Romance)
7) Too Fast too Furious - Eva Mendes (Action)

Cheers
Champion
Old 15th February 2011, 11:40   #3340
Senior - BHPian

Watched 'No Strings attached' Last evening.

An average and predictable sort of movie.Can be skipped.

1.5/5
Old 15th February 2011, 12:08   #3341
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Cheaper by Dozen-2" starring Steve Martin and Eugene Levy

It's a story of 2 families with a bunch of kids from each family competing on a vacation by the lake. Most of the gimmicks and comedy is pretty lame but, Steve Martin induces a few laughs just by his histronics and facial expressions.

However, I liked Eugene Levy over Steve simply for his poker faced act and slides in a few that is more impactful

The string of events and farces in the movie maybe funny for teenagers but, not for me. Story becomes romantic and feel good at the end.

A decent watch. Even if you miss, you dont get your nerves jangled

2.5/5

P.S: Next in Line " The Happening" Directed by Manoj. N. Shyamalan.Any reviews?
Old 15th February 2011, 13:47   #3342
BHPian

Quote:
P.S: Next in Line " The Happening" Directed by Manoj. N. Shyamalan.Any reviews?
Avoid at all costs. One of the worst movies from Shyamalan, probably as worse as 'Lady in the Water'. The movie is boring and Wahlberg can't act to save his skin and the story of plants taking revenge plain sucks and has a lot of loopholes. The opening scene where people start killing themselves is good though ( but you already see them in the trailer ) . The only redeeming point is probably zoey deschanel who looks as cute as ever.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:47   #3343
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Avoid at all costs. One of the worst movies from Shyamalan, probably as worse as 'Lady in the Water'.
I haven't seen Happening, but found Lady in the Water to be OK. Nothing special, not as good as Sixth Sense or Unbreakable, but watchable.
Old 15th February 2011, 14:58   #3344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Avoid at all costs. One of the worst movies from Shyamalan, probably as worse as 'Lady in the Water'. The movie is boring and Wahlberg can't act to save his skin and the story of plants taking revenge plain sucks and has a lot of loopholes. The opening scene where people start killing themselves is good though ( but you already see them in the trailer ) . The only redeeming point is probably zoey deschanel who looks as cute as ever.
Thanks for the feedback. It's already on the way or maybe even delivered by now. So now i'am forced to watch it!

Btw, Does Manoj drop by for a moment in this one too a.l.a Subhash Ghai?
Old 15th February 2011, 15:06   #3345
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. It's already on the way or maybe even delivered by now. So now i'am forced to watch it!

Btw, Does Manoj drop by for a moment in this one too a.l.a Subhash Ghai?
I don't remember too well, but I think he doesn't make an appearance in this movie. Also, unlike other movies of his, this movie doesn't have a surprise ending either.
By the way, I think it would hurt Shyamalan's ego a lot if compared to Subhash Ghai, coz he thinks he is the modern Hitchcock (who also had to appear in all his movies ) .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks