Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2024, 23:33   #9406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Recently watched Jason Statham in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels. Not sure if he had acted in a movie before this. Liked it for the funny twist of a story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
It is a classic cult, no less. If you liked it then do watch Snatch (2000) too if not already. Both are Guy Ritchie's. I'd rate both 10/10. Snatch features in IMDB top 250.
Both these Guy Ritchie movies- Lock Stock and Smoking Barrels and Snatch go into the Top 10 movies of all time in my list.

In fact, I have seen both of them so many times that I know almost every dialogue (especially of Lock Stock and Smoking Barrels)-

I also have a playlist of LSTSB as some of the songs in the movie is really awesome.

Jason Statham was just ok in this movie ( I just love the opening scene where he is selling stolen goods in the streets- I know the entire dialogue of this scene too. )

Hera Pheri (2nd Part) was an absolute poor copy of this movie.

Whoever have not seen these two movies. Please watch it immediately.

Both movies get a 5/5 from me.
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2024, 23:40   #9407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Both these Guy Ritchie movies- Lock Stock and Smoking Barrels and Snatch go into the Top 10 movies of all time in my list.

In fact, I have seen both of them so many times that I know almost every dialogue (especially of Lock Stock and Smoking Barrels)-

I also have a playlist of LSTSB as some of the songs in the movie is really awesome.

Jason Statham was just ok in this movie ( I just love the opening scene where he is selling stolen goods in the streets- I know the entire dialogue of this scene too. )

Hera Pheri (2nd Part) was an absolute poor copy of this movie.

Whoever have not seen these two movies. Please watch it immediately.

Both movies get a 5/5 from me.
Absolutely! Words cannot ever describe enough how it is to watch both of these. I searched for a prolonged period a movie from any country, any language that could quench my thirst for a similar movie. But i found none. My search is still on. The more said about these two, the less.
Fuldagap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2024, 00:25   #9408
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see so much love here for both Lock stock and Snatch. Like most of us these are my favorite Guy Ritchie movies. Statham is one of his favorite go to actor since Lock stock days.

Quite excited for his upcoming - The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Stellar casting and interesting storyline.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 02:34   #9409
BHPian

Personally, I enjoy a good murder mystery/dark comedy/thriller (genre) movie that’s not over the top. However, since the advent of OTT content, have been watching fewer movies in the recent times—as muscle memory prompts (binge-)watching more of the limited or season based episodic series.

Thought of writing about “Confess Fletch”, available on Amazon Prime, that was lying saved to the watchlist for a while—finally managed to sit through and watch it in one go this weekend.

Found it to be perfect for a casual weekend watch if murder mysteries are up your alley. It felt like a script written for Jon Hamm's flair, and and turned out to be based on a book that other movies were produced on, in the past. The casting was great, and the characters are written sharply, and they unravel through the run time of the movie without unnecessarily dragging or slowing the pace of the narrative. The humour flowed quite organically, and this one surely counts for a sleeper hit. (hadn’t heard much about it until coming across the title on AP app). Cheers!

P.S. and off topic: Young Sheldon Season 7 is out now on Amazon Prime! (huge fan!)
Sen_auto_sation is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 18th February 2024, 23:39   #9410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
Absolutely! Words cannot ever describe enough how it is to watch both of these. I searched for a prolonged period a movie from any country, any language that could quench my thirst for a similar movie. But i found none. My search is still on. The more said about these two, the less.
+1

I too think there is hardly any movie out there that can match Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels.

Actors, Characters, Storyline which is a beautiful twist of comedy of errors, voilence, dialogues and that amazing cockney accent.

Everything fell so beautifully into place that it's hard to find a masterpiece like this movie (I kind of rate Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs in the same breath)

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Nice to see so much love here for both Lock stock and Snatch. Like most of us these are my favorite Guy Ritchie movies. Statham is one of his favorite go to actor since Lock stock days.

Quite excited for his upcoming - The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare. Stellar casting and interesting storyline.
Thanks for sharing this news. Saw the trailer. Looks to be absolutely fabulous with that stellar starcast including the newest action star-Reacher.

The brit song in the background is so appropriate- One of my all time favorite songs.

When is it releasing? This needs to be seen on the big screen.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 08:13   #9411
Team-BHP Support

The Holdovers

Currently playing in cinema's. Paul Giamatti (Billions) delivers an outstanding performance in a very endearing engaging movie.

5/5

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th February 2024 at 10:12. Reason: typo
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2024, 13:38   #9412
BHPian

Last week just watched an science fiction adventure film Stargate which was released in 1994, starring Kurt Russell and James Spader.

I would rate this movie 4.5/5

This movie is available on Amazon Prime for rent.

The character Ra (played by Jaye Davidson) in this movie looks similar to the Marvel character Loki (played Tom Hiddleston).
bobbyblr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st February 2024, 05:05   #9413
Senior - BHPian

Oppenheimer

We had a staff screening of the film yesterday. This is the usual round we do after each years Bafta awards. We pick the top films and have a screening at a private theater owned by Peter Jackson.

This film is about the trials, tribulations of building the atomic bomb and the politics behind all of it. The film borders on almost 3 hours and has a parallel story being played and some narrated. This is not some mind bending Tenet for sure. The story plays along well and there is no confusion whatsoever.

True to Christopher Nolan film making, the work is simply beautiful. Everything is built in alignment to the time of the events and where they take place.

For those expecting lots of bombs being blown up, there are not many actually. In fact, the film has a lot of dialogue going on, more than building the actual bomb. However, let this not discourage you from watching it. Of particular interest I noticed was Nolan's approach on how anything blows. The sound of an explosion happens after the explosion, not along with it. This is true, especially in the way sound travels.

Another highlight of the film was the sound track. Lots of intensity elements added which lends itself well to the film, even during moments of calm. Its beautifully executed.

Cillian Murphy's performance is stellar. He is seen at various stage of age. The way they have dressed him up, changed his appearance is amazing.

For lovers of film, this is one for the watch list. I highly recommend watching this on the big screen. You'll miss the scale of it and the sound watching it over Streaming services and more so if you don't have a sound system that can scale with whats happening on screen.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2024, 11:06   #9414
Senior - BHPian

Land of Bad - 4/5

When a Delta Force special ops mission goes wrong, Air Force drone pilot has 48 hours to remedy what has devolved into a wild rescue operation. With no weapons and no communication other than the drone above, the ground mission suddenly becomes a full-scale battle when the team is discovered by the enemy.

Will remind you of the movie Behind Enemy Lines.

RM Motorsports is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 26th February 2024, 22:37   #9415
BHPian

Tenet

Disclaimer: I've only recently started to watch Netflix series, hollywood movies etc. i've watched Tenet once, and I need to watch it again or even twice to understand the film. I've read the film's plot and didn't understand the whole thing. Nevertheless, I am absolutely spellbound by the visuals, especially the pre climax boat sator killing scene visuals. The BGM's are really good and are still playing in my mind. I wonder why this film was marked as a flop.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-screenshot_20240226191231.png  

saikishor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 09:58   #9416
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
I've only recently started to watch Netflix series, hollywood movies etc. i've watched Tenet once, and I need to watch it again or even twice to understand the film.
Yes it is a mind bending film, especially when it plays backwards. To the point where I bought the Ultra HD Blu Ray to enjoy it in the comforts of my home. As Clemence Poesy puts it at the beginning, don't try and push yourself to work out whats going on (Not in these exact words), just feel it.

The film wraps with a brilliant bass heavy credits sound track by Travis Scott. It has the potential to shatter the window panes in your house. Can destroy your sub woofer too.

I think it has been done on purpose. One issue with the film is difficulty in understanding the dialogue. It tends to get lost among all the other sound effects in the film.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 12:05   #9417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Yes it is a mind bending film, especially when it plays backwards. To the point where I bought the Ultra HD Blu Ray to enjoy it in the comforts of my home. As Clemence Poesy puts it at the beginning, don't try and push yourself to work out whats going on (Not in these exact words), just feel it.

The film wraps with a brilliant bass heavy credits sound track by Travis Scott. It has the potential to shatter the window panes in your house. Can destroy your sub woofer too.

I think it has been done on purpose. One issue with the film is difficulty in understanding the dialogue. It tends to get lost among all the other sound effects in the film.

I am a big Travis Scott fan, I listen to his music every day. Infact the reason I got so hyped for Tenet was the song "The Plan". Heck I didn't even know a film called Tenet existed if it wasn't for the song.
Old 29th February 2024, 12:51   #9418

Locke (2013)

The movie is very interesting and entirely takes place in a moving car while the protagonist (Tom Hardy) responds to calls/ calls. I find this movie is very engaging and the concept of single actor movie works very well. The movie is very much inspiring and can instill courage in most difficult situations. must watch.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-locke.jpg
orbabu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 13:09   #9419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyblr View Post
Last week just watched an science fiction adventure film Stargate which was released in 1994, starring Kurt Russell and James Spader.

I would rate this movie 4.5/5

This movie is available on Amazon Prime for rent.

https://Youtu.be/c3sgzrgpn8s?si=X7SDegfJ5eGkp6Cc

https://Youtu.be/WskWZfFpWNI?si=1iFR8h3T1hJzjOjR

https://Youtu.be/x3h7xz558EY?si=WaYriKpD8dPTfrMI

The character Ra (played by Jaye Davidson) in this movie looks similar to the Marvel character Loki (played Tom Hiddleston).

If you liked the movie then I can guarantee you will love Stargate Atlantis (Series).
exhaustpipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 14:14   #9420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
+1

I too think there is hardly any movie out there that can match Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels.
For fans who love Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels as well as Snatch, you can also watch the following -

Layer Cake (starring Daniel Craig)
Seven Psychopaths (Starring Sam Rockwell)
The Guard (Starring Brendan Gleeson)
In Bruges (Starring Colin Farrell)
Revolver (Guy Ritchie movie Jason Stratham)
True Romance (this is actually a cult movie in itself)

These may not be have cult like status as LS&2B and Snatch but they are in the same genre and offer a good watch. Most unfortunately have been removed from Prime and other OTTs so maybe try YouTube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikishor View Post
Tenet

Disclaimer: I've only recently started to watch Netflix series, hollywood movies etc. i've watched Tenet once, and I need to watch it again or even twice to understand the film. I've read the film's plot and didn't understand the whole thing. Nevertheless, I am absolutely spellbound by the visuals, especially the pre climax boat sator killing scene visuals. The BGM's are really good and are still playing in my mind. I wonder why this film was marked as a flop.
Irrespective of since when you have been watching movies (English or otherwise), Christopher Nolan movies always demand that at the very least you should watch each one of them at least twice to understand them
Ashwin Morey is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks