Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2024, 09:38   #9361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
MI Dead Reckoning Part 1
Is it only me or people on the forum felt that this was a tad boring movie amongst all the MI films? I really am not able to pinpoint what was the weakest part of the movie
Nope, same here. I was actually bored half-way through the movie. It looks like in the quest to make each installment bigger and more action-packed than the previous, the filmmakers planned all the stunts and action sequences first...and then wrote a script around those!

The result is something like a Vin Diesel movie or some of Sallu Bhai's latest offerings!

Apart from the constant "the Entity, the Entity" said in a hushed, somber tone, you wonder what is holding the movie together as Ethan Hunt's merry band of "impossible-mission-forces" hurtle from one stunt sequence to the other.

It's almost as if ChatGPT was used to write the script, with the following prompt: "Write the next Mission Impossible movie, throw in a bridge sequence, a train sequence, something in Venice..."

Verdict: thank god I waited till it came to prime, would have been a waste of time and effort watching it in a theater.

The first MI didn't have such elaborate stunts, or world-ending stakes at play, but worked so well because it had a plot and a script. The actors provided the intensity, not the stunts. Hope they go back to that formula, but unlikely, since the next one is part 2. ("The Entity, the Entity!" which btw, was also out-acted and done much better 40 years ago by Skynet! )
am1m is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 09:59   #9362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MI Dead Reckoning Part 1

Streaming: Amazon

Is it only me or people on the forum felt that this was a tad boring movie amongst all the MI films? I really am not able to pinpoint what was the weakest part of the movie - was it the plot, the actors or the action stunts. But something did not feel right. Tom Cruise does not seem to age at all and so do Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg. I always felt Rebecca Ferguson was much better in action scenes than Hayley Atwell. The only thing which i loved in the movie was the MI theme Signature tune which still is haunting and is one of the caller tunes I have on my mobile. Maybe a one time watch for the MI franchisee fans. I am not sure I will be eagerly waiting for the part 2.
Yes, completely agree with your review. One thing which I think also spoilt the movie watching experience was the fact that in the 2-3 months lead up to the release of the movie, there was this short documentary style film of how Tom Cruise prepared for that bike jump. At least for me, after having seen the making so many times, when it actually happened, it was kind of a meh moment.

Having said that, I loved the previous instalments, so rooting for Tom Cruise to make up the disappointment of part one with a banger of a finale!
arvind71181 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 14:18   #9363
BHPian

Quote:
MI Dead Reckoning Part 1
Is it only me or people on the forum felt that this was a tad boring movie amongst all the MI films?...

Rating: 2/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Nope, same here. I was actually bored half-way through the movie...
The result is something like a Vin Diesel movie or some of Sallu Bhai's latest offerings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Yes, completely agree with your review.
Having said that, I loved the previous instalments, so rooting for Tom Cruise to make up the disappointment of part one with a banger of a finale!
I totally understand the feeling.

That said, with movies like MI, Avatar, Avengers etc. is that these are spectacles. Movie magnum opuses which deserve to be seen and experienced on the big screen with full pomp and show (IMAX, 3D, etcetera) and the whole shebang at launch.
Without the verve, the atmosphere and the nervous energy of the audience these are simple movies. I saw Avatar-2 on TV and couldn't even finish it. In the theater, when Kate Winslet underwater said "Go on, take a breath", I instinctively took one while my wife chuckled next to me.

For example: Compare the experience of watching Gravity (2013) in IMAX 3D and at home

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 16th January 2024 at 14:20.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 14:50   #9364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
thank god I waited till it came to prime, would have been a waste of time and effort watching it in a theater.
Actually, No! I watched it in the theater with whole jingbang (Dolby this and that) and thoroughly enjoyed. Watched it again yesterday at home and the experience was sublime. As someone also have pointed out, these franchise have their fanboys (and fangirls) and they don't care much about the storyline as such: OO7, MI and so on. Every time i hear the signature tune, i feel goosebumps and these are aplenty in this movie. I enjoyed it
Gsynch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 19:11   #9365
BHPian

Killers of the Flower Moon

My rating : 3/5 ( being generous)

The recent Martin Scorsese movie dropped on Apple TV and I took 3 days to watch it. I know it has been winning some many awards, but it requires a good amount of patience to view it. It is slow, predictable for most part and sheds light on the new found oil richness in the US and how the native Indians were toyed with. The introduction of FBI in the mix was abrupt and thought the end was rushed to meet a deadline rather than completing a story.
mazda4life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 08:07   #9366
Distinguished - BHPian

Society of the snow

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-screenshot-20240117-7.49.508239am.png

Synopsis - In 1972, a Uruguayan flight crashes in the remote heart of the Andes, forcing survivors to become each other's best hope.

I had watched a news documentary of the same many years back so knew what was in store. Coming back to the movie, everything about this was just right - acting, BGM, direction, CGI (a lot was used) etc. It was really disturbing, depressing and enjoyable at the same time. Brilliant acting by all (some of them seems to have lost weight as well) and the scene towards the end gives goosebumps. I wont be surprised if it bags a lot of awards.

Rating - 5/5 (Netflix). Must watch (Warning - sensitive scenes)

Anatomy of a Fall - English/French

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-2.jpg

Synopsis - A woman is suspected of her husband's murder, and their blind son faces a moral dilemma as the sole witness.

Amazing story telling, but the movie is really really slow. A lot of static scenes with almost nil BGM. The ending can scratch everyone's head and it definitely could have been better, but that's what the director wanted to achieve. Not to everyone's taste.

Rating - 3/5 (A 3rd party streaming service provider). Recommended.
naveen.raju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 22:19   #9367
BHPian

The Beekeeper

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-et00372125jwcukrcgjglandscape.jpeg

Rating: 2/5

Watched in a nearly empty theatre, there were only 10 people in total on a weekend show! You can safely leave your cerebrum locked up in a cupboard at home before watching this. I watched it just because I'm a sucker for Jason Statham movies and it checked all the boxes of a typical Jason Statham movie: mindless violence, check; plenty of hand to hand combat along with some terrible camera work, check; incomprehensible British accent, stoic expressionless acting, check.

Giving it 2 stars as it meets expectations. Jason Statham is expectedly expressionless and violent, plot is expectedly nonsensical bordering on comical, diversity hire actors are expectedly flops, and the entire movie is expectedly carried purely by Statham's fight scenes.

PS: The movie has absolutely nothing to do with bees, even though the writers have crammed a ridiculously large number of cringe level bee puns (To bee or not to bee ...... sigh.....)

Last edited by GeneralJazz : 22nd January 2024 at 22:27.
GeneralJazz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 22:39   #9368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
The Beekeeper
I watched it yesterday and would go with 3/5, simply because I was a fan of Transporter and this one is no different. Mindless story but great action. John Wick, Nobody - these are similar.

Very limited shows running across even fewer multiplexes with even limited seat occupancy.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 21:07   #9369
BHPian

50/50 (2011)

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_4723.jpeg

This one’s been on my radar for a long time. It’s a comedy - based on a real story about a 27 year old diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. It’s also poignant - without caving in to melodrama, instead staying defiant and true in the face of pain.

The lead actors are all gold, and this is a must watch, especially for those who have been through a similar experience in real life.

Streaming on Prime.
Pequod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 10:10   #9370
Senior - BHPian

Grave Encounters (2011):

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1703199/

"For their ghost hunting reality show, a production crew locks themselves inside an abandoned mental hospital that's supposedly haunted - and it might prove to be all too true."

Been scraping the barrel for a long time now to find some good horror movies and this came up. Lost footage style movie. Was a bit predictable but still good enough to give you goosebumps.

With a 6.1 rating (63k votes), i would still advice you to watch Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (2018, Japanese) which was far more scarier and creepier!

3.75/5 for Grave Encounters.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 12:07   #9371
Senior - BHPian

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - 2/5

I had high hopes for "Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom," but unfortunately, it turned out to be a colossal disappointment. This film takes everything that made the first Aquaman movie mildly enjoyable and flushes it down the drain.

Rating 2 is for the CGI.
Old 29th January 2024, 21:37   #9372
BHPian

The Swimmers - English - Netflix 3.5/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-swim.jpg

The Real life story of teenage Syrian refugees Yusra Mardini and her sister Sarah Mardini, who take refuge in Germany.

It's a heart warming story of their struggles due to the war and the resilience to achieve their dreams (Yusra Mardini's reaching the Rio 2016 Olympics as a member of the Refugee Olympic Team).

Beautifully acted by the lead actresses & supported well by other cast. Direction is also nice without being over dramatic. Worth a watch
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 11:41   #9373
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom - 2/5

I had high hopes for "Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom," but unfortunately, it turned out to be a colossal disappointment.
Yes, I'd give it 1/5, video game class movie, probably because of the contrast with other DC movies.
Old 2nd February 2024, 08:42   #9374
Distinguished - BHPian

The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar Netflix

Wes Anderson has again come up with a quirky short movie adapted from a Roald Dahl story. Starring some brilliant names like Ben Kinsley, Ralph Fienns, Benjamin Cumberbatch and Dev Patel, the short movie feels like a picture book. With the dry wit and humour intact, the movie shows the power of human empathy and its effect on the society at large. Absolute masterpiece of a short movie. Highly recommended.

Rating: 4/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 10:04   #9375
Distinguished - BHPian

Nyad

Good movie about the achievements of long-distance swimmer Diana Nyad. After watching, I expected to find that the movie had exaggerated the achievements or the struggles of the swimmer for effect. Was awed when I read about Diana Nyad online that most of it was fact indeed. (Of course there is certainly some dramatic acting, esp. around the relationship/friendship angle.)

Swimming from Cuba to Florida in your 60s, I mean, my god! Very glad I stumbled on this film.

Last edited by am1m : 2nd February 2024 at 10:16.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks