Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th January 2024, 13:06   #9346
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Rebel Moon - Child of Fire

Streaming: Netflix

A surprisingly watchable movie as it has all the elements of the Star Wars Universe. The visuals are good and the audio is even better. The movie does have a plot which seems believable and the end sets up the stage for the sequel which I guess is going to released in 2024 sometime. Unfortunately the IMDB ratings are low for a movie directed by the man who helmed movies like Justice League, 300 and more recently Flash.

Rating: 3/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 19:35   #9347

Movies for family as well(parents +kids)
  • Gifted
Ms. Tesla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th January 2024, 22:19   #9348
Senior - BHPian

Any reviews on Nic Cage's Dream Scenario? Sounds like an interesting concept.
Old 7th January 2024, 22:53   #9349
BHPian

Race for Glory: Audi vs. Lancia - 3/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-2f70860e3809d7cb09d0da77ed6e4e085d5da45f68805592c1973a1afbfb4a0b.jpg

"Race for Glory: Audi vs. Lancia" offers a mixed ride. Smart language and an exciting underdog story shine, but it's brief and lacks the punch of emotional engagement seen in films like Rush or Ford v Ferrari. Scenic visuals add charm, making it a decent watch—especially if you love rooting for the underdog.
MotoBlip is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 12:36   #9350
Distinguished - BHPian

Gran Turismo

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-1.jpeg

Synopsis - The true story of a team of unlikely underdogs - a working-class gamer, a former race-car driver, and an idealistic motorsport executive - who risk it all to take on the most elite sport in the world.

It was a decent watch. I had skipped this initially but caught up this weekend. Loved the CGI and the tension that it created. Well, the story is predictable but great achievement by the young lad. Good acting by the young lad, the engineer and his dad.

Wish they saw me play Need for speed around 2 decades back

Rating - 3/5 (Netflix). Recommended.

The Family Plan

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-2.jpeg

Synopsis - When enemies from his past track him down, former elite government assassin Dan packs his wife, teen daughter, teen son, and 10-month-old baby into their minivan and takes off on an impromptu cross-country road trip to Las Vegas.

Seen this quite a lot and there's nothing new. Some of the scenes/situations are debatable and silly but nevertheless makes up a really timepass movie.

Rating - 2.5/5 (Apple TV). Wouldnt recommend it as a must watch. Just a timepass movie and you wont miss anything if you skip it.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 11:49   #9351
Senior - BHPian

Expendables 4

Streaming: Lion Gate

Avoid, avoid, avoid. What a rubbish film. What hurts more that a seasoned actor like Jason Statham is doing this film. I really wish they shut down this franchisee for ever now.

Rating: 0.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 20:31   #9352
Distinguished - BHPian

Society of the snow Netfilx

The movie is based on the true story of the plane crash that happened over the Andes mountains in 1972. Having known about the incident and how the survivors resorted to cannabalism, this movie is a difficult watch. The actors are so true their roles that the viewer is almost compelled to feel for them throughout the movie. At around little more than two hours, the movie is a must watch, just for the sheer grit and determination of the survivors and how the movie was shot. No wonder the movie was nominated for Oscars and Golden globe's. Highly recommended.

Rating- 5/5

P.S- Quoting Hothatchaway

Quote:
I haven't seen the film but if it's about a rugby side crashing into the andes and then doing what it takes to survive, then there is a case study on this which is a staple of all organizational behaviour courses in B schools
Yes, it’s indeed about the same incident and the movie showed what exactly are you talking about. The movie is a perfect example of exemplary teamwork and the efforts to survive.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 11th January 2024 at 20:52.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 20:40   #9353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post

The movie is based on the true story of the plane crash that happened over the Andes mountains in 1972. Having known about the incident and how the survivors resorted to cannabalism, this movie is a difficult watch. The actors are so true their roles that the viewer is almost compelled to feel for them throughout the movie. At around little more than two hours, the movie is a must watch, just for the sheer grit and determination of the survivors and how the movie was shot. No wonder the movie was nominated for Oscars and Golden globe's. Highly recommended.

Rating- 5/5
I haven't seen the film but if it's about a rugby side crashing into the andes and then doing what it takes to survive, then there is a case study on this which is a staple of all organizational behaviour courses in B schools. Each of the survivors took on roles subconsciously in the survival effort which later became an academic study to understand how group dynamics work in situations like this.

Thanks for the recommendation!
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 20:50   #9354
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:

Rating- 5/5
It’s a frightening book. It was called “Alive”. A friend of mine lent it to me to read in 1984 or something and honestly it was very unsettling indeed.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 22:32   #9355
Senior - BHPian

On that topic, a documentary film called "Stranded" is a terrific watch too. I can't find it on streaming services but I am sure it was on Tubi a while ago.
Old 11th January 2024, 22:54   #9356
BHPian

MI Dead Reckoning P1 is now free on Prime. Good if u haven't watched or wanna watch again
ToThePoint is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 23:55   #9357
BHPian

Quote:

Rating- 5/5

P.S- Quoting Hothatchaway

Yes, it’s indeed about the same incident and the movie showed what exactly are you talking about. The movie is a perfect example of exemplary teamwork and the efforts to survive.

The same story is in documentory format too . "I Am Alive: Surviving the Andes Plane Crash"
This is one heck of a documentory which I saw way back in 2014. I can't find it in any streaming platform now. If you find it please do watch. Worth the time.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 03:10   #9358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The Gentlemen | Amazon Prime

4/5

Typical Guy Ritchie movie with a stellar cast. Watching it for the second time today. For those hooked on to Succession note that it has Jeremy Strong as well. Lots of plot twists in classic Guy Ritchie style.
Just watched The Gentleman on Prime. Loved it. Your feedback is on point.

Even if you know the plot of his other classic "Lock stock and 2 smoking barrels" one can see it any number of times.

The Gentlemen, however, is not exactly in the 'see many time and still enjoy' list
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 05:14   #9359
BHPian

Stillwater (Prime Video)

My "Continue Watching" section of Prime Video is littered with movies I pick randomly from the recommended section and stop watching as I cannot watch it beyond the first 5-10 minutes.

Stillwater was a similar pick but I was able to carry on till the end. Its a long two and a half hour drama about a father trying to get his daughter exonerated. Despite its long running time, it never got boring. Except for the way they wrapped up the story (to prove that "life is brutal"), it is a beautiful story. And well made.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2024, 12:58   #9360
Senior - BHPian

MI Dead Reckoning Part 1

Streaming: Amazon

Is it only me or people on the forum felt that this was a tad boring movie amongst all the MI films? I really am not able to pinpoint what was the weakest part of the movie - was it the plot, the actors or the action stunts. But something did not feel right. Tom Cruise does not seem to age at all and so do Ving Rhames and Simon Pegg. I always felt Rebecca Ferguson was much better in action scenes than Hayley Atwell. The only thing which i loved in the movie was the MI theme Signature tune which still is haunting and is one of the caller tunes I have on my mobile. Maybe a one time watch for the MI franchisee fans. I am not sure I will be eagerly waiting for the part 2.

Rating: 2/5

Lift

Streaming: Netflix

The movie has an outdate plot which has been used in so many movies. The only difference is Kevin Hart who is know for his comic roles is playing an action hero role. The star cast is with so many unknowns, San Worthington and Jena Reno are probably the two known names. This isn't a bad movie but the genre which the movie belongs to have seen so many fantastic movies that this one falls very flat on the face. If no other option available, can watch.

Rating: 2/5

Last edited by ghodlur : 13th January 2024 at 13:02.
ghodlur is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks