Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2023, 21:00   #9226
BHPian

Re: The Regional movies thread!

The Nun 2 - 3.5/5

Watched this yesterday and fans of the Conjuring series are certainly going to like this one as its a meatier storyline over the first one. Lot of scary moments and an interesting storyline. Bonnie Aarons as Valak made an impression right from The Conjuring 2 (Valak was introduced then) and this is a full blown show of how just her expressions made it into the scariest character in the universe. The ending and post credits has something for us to keep guessing - whether its in the past or the future installments! Taissa Farmiga still has not made the impression that her older sister Vera has done as Lorraine Warren - hope to see a more deeper performance written for her.

Mods - I inadvertently posted the review here, not realizing it was the regional movies thread, not able to delete. Please move to the relevant thread.

Last edited by 100Kmphormore : 20th September 2023 at 21:06.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 01:02   #9227
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched a sweet and simple romcom after a very long time: Love at First Sight on Netflix.

A very fine job by both the leads. The storyline in itself is quite simple, but engrossing for sure. The movie definitely leaves a smile on your face.

4/5.
IamNikhil is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2023, 10:57   #9228
BHPian

Last night I chanced upon a gem of an Indie film: Mid90s (2018). The move felt incredibly real and its only when the end credits start rolling that you realise you were watching just actors. Quite a controversial film I would say, not everyone's cup of tea to digest, but was quite nostalgic for me growing up in the 90s.
jomyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 13:36   #9229
BHPian

NO ONE WILL SAVE YOU, Disney Hotstar(Pssst...Ambani can, Disney. He can)

With Disney seemingly slacking on content compared to its competitors and Motabhai owning the cricket rights now, it's only a matter of time before Jio swoops in to save the day for Hotstar. But hold on, let's talk about this movie I stumbled upon. I vaguely remember seeing the trailer sometime back, but all I could recall was some extraterrestrial hide-and-seek with some alien-induced jumpscares. I finally caught it on TV yesterday, and it did reel me in within the first half-hour!

This movie feels like a love letter to classics like A Quiet Place (and its countless Netflix knockoffs), War of the Worlds, Signs, and Body Snatchers. It keeps you engaged for the most part, and the aliens have more dialogues than the humans! Who would've thought?

Now, I don't exactly expect much logic in sci-fi movies, and I'll admit the climax left me scratching my head as my limited IQ again blocked what the director was trying to throw at me, BUT It was fun. There's this one scene where an alien seems to be signaling something to its ship, and to me, it looked like it was doing some hook step for Insta reels/ YT shorts. Some out of the world dance moves! 😂

Forget what the critics say; I had fun watching this flick. So, if you're in the mood for some lighthearted fun, give it a go. 👍

AnnaRocks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 03:02   #9230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Just watched "The Outfit" on Netflix.

This took me by surprise as I wasn't expecting it to be this brilliant.
Its quite a suspense thriller and quite rare and unique storyline. An easy 5/5.
I searched for this on Netflix but, US location does not have it. Luckily, I have a Peacock subscription and watched this flick. Thanks for recommendation, it's an outstanding movie.

"The Outfit"

OTT- Peacock/Netflix India

5/5

Storyline- This movie is shot entirely inside a tailor shop in 1950's Chicago just after Al Capone's regime.

This movie is about how deftly one person can control the situation, manipulate it and turn people on each other which is an art not many will have.

Brilliant storyline, superb acting and it's a thriller with a twist and turns and keeps you guessing on what's going to happen next.

This movie brings you memories of Michael Jackson's "Smooth Criminal" video as the attire is similar and also has a lot of Hitcock'ian movie feel.

I was surprised to know this movie made on a $5 Million budget only made $4 Million. On the other hand, movies like Pathan make 500 crores. This is the sad state of affairs of movie goer's. I think we are not demanding enough wanting to enjoy good content instead we relegate ourselves to enjoying subpar content in the name of light hearted entertainment.

Lastly, this dialogue left a mark on me " I am not a Tailor, but, a Cutter".

I never knew until now that a "Cutter" is different from a "Tailor" and supposed to be a superior craft than a tailor.
mobike008 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 13:00   #9231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
"The Outfit"

I was surprised to know this movie made on a $5 Million budget only made $4 Million. ...
I believe the name of a movie has also got a lot to do with its (box office) success.

The movie title "The Outfit" is extremely bland and unworthy of the movie. No one will even make an effort to dig below this "uncatchy" name to discover that its a goldmine of a movie.

See what names like "Cliffhanger" can make an impact (brilliant movie of coure, title is also apt).

Rather they could have named it " The Cutter" to make a better impact.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 28th September 2023 at 13:01.
Old 28th September 2023, 16:05   #9232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just watched "The Outfit" on Netflix..
Quote:
The movie title "The Outfit" is extremely bland and unworthy of the movie. No one will even make an effort to dig below this "uncatchy" name to discover that its a goldmine of a movie.
You do realize your original recommendation got upvoted 8 times and one(Avi) went ahead and saw it.

I'll let Morgan Freeman make the point

narayans80 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 00:07   #9233
Distinguished - BHPian

Guy Ritchie's Covenant

OTT- Amazon Prime

4/5

Guy Ritchie has done it again. A huge fan and probably the second most favorite director after Quentin Tarantino as both have a unique style of presenting their movies.

Folks who love war, emotion and people with high moral attitude shouldn't miss this movie.

Simply fabulous. !!!

Last edited by Aditya : 5th October 2023 at 05:32. Reason: Spoiler bit deleted
mobike008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 02:01   #9234
BHPian

No one will save you - 2023 - Disney+Hotstar - 3.5/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mv5bmgnhzdczntutowezzs00zjeyltkzodqtogm1mtzimgy2odiyxkeyxkfqcgdeqxvymjkwotaymdu._v1_.jpg

Very very interesting movie. Sci-fi - horror - alien movie with just couple of dialogues.

Very unique treatment and superb sound design. The movie is very intense and gripping for most of the part. It's more of a sci-fi thriller than a horror movie. I got some vibe of 'war of the worlds' in some sequences.

Climax is not everyone's cup of tea, I'm not sure I enjoyed the climax or not.

Overall worth watching.
Asish_VK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 15:10   #9235
BHPian

[quote=AnnaRocks;5632277]NO ONE WILL SAVE YOU, Disney Hotstar)

Forget what the critics say; I had fun watching this flick. So, if you're in the mood for some lighthearted fun, give it a go. 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
No one will save you - 2023 - Disney+Hotstar - 3.5/5

Attachment 2509921

Very very interesting movie. Sci-fi - horror - alien movie with just couple of dialogues.

Very unique treatment and superb sound design. The movie is very intense and gripping for most of the part. It's more of a sci-fi thriller than a horror movie. I got some vibe of 'war of the worlds' in some sequences.

Climax is not everyone's cup of tea, I'm not sure I enjoyed the climax or not.

Overall worth watching.
Fully agree.

The climax is a bit of a head scratcher but designed to be like that, in the tradition of the old Twilight Zone show. But great watch.
And strangely the entire movie had only 2 lines of dialogue that too spoken towards the end!

If you liked this check out ‘Spontaneous’ by the same director. Again a strange ending but a very quirky movie. Came out at the wrong time I think, just before the pandemic. You’ll know after you watch why I said that.
Evyas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 14:51   #9236
Senior - BHPian

Tomiris - on Amazon Prime is worth a watch.
This Kazakh produced movie is a bit long about 2.5 hours but the overall narration storyline and battle scenes are very realistic. Overall movie is 4/5 and the battle scenes are 5/5.
for_cars1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 22:23   #9237
Senior - BHPian

No One Will Save You : Didn't like anything about it. 2/5.

Thanks a bunch for recommending, "The Outfit", Very meticulously scripted. Brilliantly directed. Screenplay was well done. Absolutely surely a 5/5.

Finally a Jason Statham action movie that seems worth the wait. ‘THE BEEKEEPER’. Hits theaters in January. See the trailer :

Last edited by libranof1987 : 5th October 2023 at 12:23. Reason: Removing potential spoiler for the first film
GrammarNazi is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 07:58   #9238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
And we will witness another race track movie, Gran Turismo, to be released in August.
Gran Turismo is available for rent on Amazon Prime.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_20231005_075450.jpg
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 10:43   #9239
BHPian

NOWHERE (2023) - Netflix (Spanish / English) - 3.5/5

One of the most thrilling survival movies I've watched recently. It was engaging throughout and the English dubbing was on point most of the time. Though there are some plot holes, it's a very gripping movie overall.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-uldnffknxnvwss0mizermsfkbjz.jpg
Asish_VK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 11:52   #9240
Distinguished - BHPian

Take Care of Maya is a wrenching documentary of a family's struggle to treat their child with a rare debilitating disease. It's very well directed and the main characters are rivetting in their interviews and testimonies, so I would suggest that if you know nothing about the case, watch the documentary without Googling. It almost feels like a suspense thriller!

Spoiler alert: Here is a synopsis of the real-life events behind this documentary. There is a topical element to it as well which makes it all the more interesting.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks