Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2023, 18:58   #9166
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

These days, unless you need the "theatre experience" for a movie (like say Avatar = The way of the water), I prefer to wait for the movie to hit streaming. Am a big movie buff, but will wait for Oppenheimer to come on streaming. Seems like a great movie to watch with home pizzas & in the home recliner, rather than make the trek to the cinema.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 11:09   #9167
Senior - BHPian

M3GAN:

Watched it on primevideo rental and other than the premise of the whole movie, it was not very scary and actually felt a bit kiddish?

2/5 for me.

Disturbingly shows just how much we are and we will be dependent on tech/ai products
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 14:27   #9168
Senior - BHPian

Hidden strike

Streaming: Netflix

I just wish Jackie Chan would retire gracefully and resists the temptation of doing any action films which shows his age. The movie is nothing great to write about. The plot seems to be out dated. There is nil chemistry between Jackie and John Cena. Can be skipped for something more interesting.

Rating: 1.5/5
ghodlur is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 16:05   #9169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hidden strike

Streaming: Netflix

I just wish Jackie Chan would retire gracefully and resists the temptation of doing any action films which shows his age.

Rating: 1.5/5
Seriously, it is one of those movies of Jackie Chan which makes one think that he should retire now.

Over the weekend, I watched The Delta Force 1 and 2 just for nostalgia sake and I loved them again for the kind of cinematography and editing and all the action. Both are available on Amazon Prime.
BoneCollector is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 16:09   #9170
Senior - BHPian

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3

Streaming: Disney Hotstar

Good to see the Star Lord, Rocket, Groot and the gang back but its a long movie 2.5 hrs. I guess this is the last film of the franchisee unless the Marvel teams invents something different for the characters. What was Sylvester Stallone doing in this movie, life time dream to be an Avenger or atleast in an Avenger movie? In my opinion its a well made movie with a story with a lot of funnier moments the ending though was a bollywood style. Since the franchisee has ended on a good note, I for one wouldnt expect another movie. Worth watching.

Rating: 4/5
ghodlur is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 23:06   #9171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I prefer to wait for the movie to hit streaming. Am a big movie buff, but will wait for Oppenheimer to come on streaming.
I second this. 1000 rupees just for the tickets is a colossal waste of money, when there are no proper IMAX theaters. 70 mm ones are reported to be glitchy, as comedian Rohan Joshi lamented in his Instagram post about Mumbai ones. Same so for Bengaluru. I would check out the glitchyness for 100/200 bucks in an early morning show a couple of months from now
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2023, 19:31   #9172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Barbie: 0 / 5 stars for adults, 5 / 5 stars for kids (especially girls). Took the girls to Barbie yesterday. Two 10-year olds loved the movie, as did my elder sister. I appreciate the creativity in the movie. But it was damn boring for me. I walked out and spent time at Palladium Social instead .

This one is only for the little girls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Completed Barbenheimer weekend

Barbie: 1/5
This movie made no sense to me. I don’t know who the target audience was. The concept was understandable but the execution was cringe.
No offense, but quite surprised to see such reductive dismissals of what is arguably one of the most fun movies to come out in recent years. It’s weird, it demands a colossal suspension of disbelief, it’s a post-modern meta-commentary on feminism, equality, existentialism - and then some. Apart from the heady themes, the performances are stellar, with Ryan Gosling and Kate McKinnon being stand outs for me. Also there’s quite a bit of pop culture references (starting with the 2001 Space Odyssey inspired opening sequence) for the geeks out there.

Some people might call this woke, but I enjoyed it, and feel it’s a must watch. It’s definitely not just for kids - I dare say that it’s mature audiences who would enjoy this discerning watch.

My rating - Barbie (5/5)

Last edited by Pequod : 5th August 2023 at 19:39.
Pequod is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 02:31   #9173
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
No offense, but quite surprised to see such reductive dismissals of what is arguably one of the most fun movies to come out in recent years. It’s weird, it demands a colossal suspension of disbelief, it’s a post-modern meta-commentary on feminism, equality, existentialism - and then some. Apart from the heady themes, the performances are stellar, with Ryan Gosling and Kate McKinnon being stand outs for me. Also there’s quite a bit of pop culture references (starting with the 2001 Space Odyssey inspired opening sequence) for the geeks out there.

Some people might call this woke, but I enjoyed it, and feel it’s a must watch. It’s definitely not just for kids - I dare say that it’s mature audiences who would enjoy this discerning watch.

My rating - Barbie (5/5)
I completely agree with what you are saying. Barbie is a nice movie. I really enjoyed the 1st half. I'd say that I found it to be better than Oppenheimer. The thing is, many Indians found it difficult to connect with the movie and others dismissed it as being a chick flick. Most of Indians only watch Hollywood action and sci-fi movies and I guess that is why, the difficulty in connecting with the movie(this isn't directed to anyone who has stated his/her opinion on this thread but is, applicable for many of us Indians).

My rating for Barbie would be 3.5/5 and for Oppenheimer and Mission Impossible, it is 3/5.

Last edited by AYP : 6th August 2023 at 02:33.
AYP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 05:59   #9174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My rating - Barbie (5/5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I completely agree with what you are saying. Barbie is a nice movie..
I agree. Although I would not call it a 5/5, I felt it is quite a good movie. Fun in it's own way. But I also get the opposition to it. I did feel while watching it that it will polarise opinions.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 06:06   #9175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AYP View Post
I completely agree with what you are saying. Barbie is a nice movie. I really enjoyed the 1st half. I'd say that I found it to be better than Oppenheimer. The thing is, many Indians found it difficult to connect with the movie and others dismissed it as being a chick flick. Most of Indians only watch Hollywood action and sci-fi movies and I guess that is why, the difficulty in connecting with the movie
Oppenheimer and Barbie are far apart on the spectrum in craft, and yet both posit deep questions on the meaning of life/death. That’s beautiful, and it’s befitting that such diverse expressions of cinema are being celebrated across the world.

As for Indian audiences and Barbie - this is neither a kids movie nor a Hollywood/Bollywood potboiler of the “leave your brains at home and have a good time” kind. It doubles down on the pinks and pastels while grappling with serious subjects like existential angst, feminism, patriarchy, consumerism and creation. The movie is produced by Mattel, yet Greta Gerwig stamps her genius and signature quirkiness all over.

Last edited by Pequod : 6th August 2023 at 06:12.
Pequod is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 12:21   #9176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
it’s a post-modern meta-commentary on feminism, equality, existentialism - and then some.
You lost me there

It's a movie. Some will like it some will not. Nothing to give or take offence about when we give our opinions on it

Watched Insidious The Red Door last night.

Now that was one boring movie. 2/5 and that is being generous!
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 14:00   #9177
BHPian

I went to watch Barbie as I have a daughter in her early teens and well, not going was not an option. Before watching, I gathered from the trailers, reviews and from the casting choice that it will have a different treatment than what you would expect from a movie with a subject like this. It also delivered at least for the first half. But the dialogues in the latter part of the movie peppered with loaded terms like patriarchy/matriarchy spoilt it for me. It was obvious that the filmmakers had a clear agenda and they did not want for that to be lost in translation. The concluding part was lost to political messaging.

Filmmakers have all the right to take a political stance and use their craft to send a message. If it becomes too obvious then it starts interfering with the quality of output. A good author/director should not do the thinking and interpretation on behalf of his audience. The moment I heard these socio political terms in the dialogue I tuned out of the film and waited for it to end.
My daughter loved the film though! I suppose the sumptous setting and costumes outweighed everything else for her and I admit that the film did do really well in those aspects. The acting too was excellent as was expected.
hothatchaway is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 15:27   #9178
Distinguished - BHPian

Went to watch Barbie on my wife's insistence. Because of my ignorance, I had booked the seats in the "Junior" screen of Cineplex

I was mostly bored throughout except for some funny bits. I was surprised by the clear portrayal of patriarchy in the real world vs. matriarchy in the Barbie world. Lot of preaching towards the end which again I didn't expect from a Barbie movie, not sure how much a kid would grasp it. But my wife loved it.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2023, 15:58   #9179
BHPian

One of my all time dumbest movie that Ive ever watched has to be Barbie. Having fed my daughter with a closet full of barbies, I had no options, but to book a date with her plastic companion on the first day itself. Me being a middle-aged 'gentleman' I was enamoured by the spotless glamour quotient of the lead lady. That's about it folks. From there starts the preaching of feminism and the war with patriarchy. I was flabbergasted by the portrayal of Ken as a boot licking beta.

It's astounding that I had to endure this torture amidst all the pink power in the theater who were cheering the lead. On the positive side my wife and kid felt happy and enjoyed the saga. For me though, it was like drinking a piss that needs to be washed down. If you want to enjoy the drama, make sure you lock your brain cells in a lead box.

PS. While watching, there was this gentleman who was sitting besides me and I told him we need to go to our home and bang our heads with a frying pan.

Last edited by doxinboy : 6th August 2023 at 16:00.
doxinboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2023, 01:20   #9180
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to state I watched Oppenheimer few days back.

I wasn't sure if I will be able to watch it. Booked twice. Cancelled twice due to unavoidable circumstances. Wife doesn't like such movies so I was supposed to see this alone anyways ( I always enjoy watching movies alone more since teen days).

So, finally booked a morning show.
What a movie. Never missed a Nolan movie in theatre. Although autobiography genre isn't my cup of tea I had faith in Nolan. One word- Brilliant filmmaking. This movie will sweep over the Oscar's for sure. The biggest surprise was every 10 minutes I will see a talented actor on screen. Whoever did the casting has to be a genius.

Have always enjoyed work by Cillian Murphy but this was extradonaire acting. And Robert Downey Jr probably gave his lifetime performance. Fans of Iron man won't believe how understated he is till the end.

My only gripe was it could have been atleast 15 minutes shorter.

Oh and you won't believe the deal I managed to land that too for a Recliner in a PVR. Attaching screenshots
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_8902.jpeg  

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_8899.jpeg  

harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks