Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2023, 09:41   #9121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched MI Dead Reckoning in IMAX last night. As expected a fantastic watch. Definitely worth the IMAX money. Aside from the stunts, this one also, like most MI movies, has a proper storyline. The underlying comedy that is also a trademark of the MI series is amped up a little more here. You don't expect a whole theater laughing out loud multiple times in a full on action film.

Tom Cruise gives a lot of screen time to the co-actors, maybe a sign that the series will continue without him playing the lead.

Only gripe I had was that there was no suspense about those set piece action sequences because of the BTS videos released prior to release. We knew the bike stunt, train sequence, the car chase were all coming and so much info was released that we fairly knew what to expect. So that killed the wow factor a little for me as I had watched all the pre release videos. Not sure why they did that. Too much info given out in my view.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 11:35   #9122
BHPian

Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning: I saw this on Friday but wasn't impressed as much. To me, MI - Ghost Protocol is the topper of the series. All the action scenes seem to have copied from the earlier sequels. The Train scene is nowhere near the Burj Khalifa or the Helicopter chase of the past - It's not boring but not amazing either. The small car scene in between was entertaining though. The good news is there will be part 2 of Dead Reckoning and I hope it beats my expectation. I would rate this 3/5.
CarNerd is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 12:15   #9123
BHPian

Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 2 Trailer, Looks nice:
Old 16th July 2023, 17:17   #9124
Senior - BHPian

The Pope's Exorcist

Streaming: Netfilx

Watched the movie for Russel Crowe. Its not exactly an iconic Horror movie although it does have a few jumps and screams kind of scenes. The cast is not a known one but they did good esp the child actors. Not to the Conjuring or Exorcist or Nun movie standards but is a one time watch.

Rating: 3.5/5
Old 16th July 2023, 17:40   #9125
Senior - BHPian

Watched Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse in PVR 4DX at Vega city Mall couple of weeks ago.

Was foolish of me not to see any trailer or review before booking the tickets. I thought it was our usual Marvel series one. Didn’t know it was an animated movie. Never the less was a decent watch. Story line was interesting but subsequent parts will prefer watching on OTT rather than spending 500 bucks a ticket. 4DX experience was horrible. This was my first time, so was curious but man its so unsettling. Can’t imagine having a coffee here. Never again.

Spoiler: Don’t wait for post-credit scenes. There’s none.

Rating: 3/5

OT: Special mention about Vega City PVR service. Absolutely horrendous. After ordering & paying for snacks before getting into the Audi it took 2 more physical reminders and 1hr plus to get my order. Had to leave movie twice midway and head to kiosk to remind them of our order. Second time I was irritated to my limits and was darting towards the kiosk to shout at the counter folks but was surprised to see there were already other customer shouting at them for same reason.

Worst part was the staff had no remorse on their faces. Their attitude was like take it or leave it, you have already paid, so screw you.

Have watched other movies in imax here earlier as well & service back then was just fine. Lately it’s going downhill.

Last edited by SoumenD : 16th July 2023 at 17:50.
Old 17th July 2023, 11:33   #9126
Senior - BHPian

Watched Spiderman yesterday and it was a lovely piece of cinema For a spidey comic book geek, this was hell of a ride. Just watched it in 2d though. Would have been amazing to behold on a 3d screen.

Cannot wait for the next installment of the series.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 16:17   #9127
BHPian

Saw Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning over the weekend and didn't find it impressive. It was too long and except the bike stunt, I didn't find anything interesting.

Fast X is X times better than this one.
Old 18th July 2023, 03:20   #9128
BHPian

Watched Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning Part One this weekend. I really enjoyed the movie, It keeps you hooked all the time and it's a must-watch for any action movie fan. I will rate it 9/10.

Old 18th July 2023, 11:09   #9129
BHPian

Mission: Impossible – Dead Reckoning: Part One
Rating: 9/10

A fantastic movie and experience. Bollywood could learn a thing or two about the art of movie/ spectacle making and dedication.
Hats off to Tom Cruise. Dude gives it all.

Waiting for Part Two.
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 14:35   #9130
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding to the multiple mentioned MI - Dead Reckoning feedback.

As with any MI movie great action along with trademark Tom Cruise running scenes and the ever baffling and funny mask tricks.

The movie as such is entertaining, however the overall USP is starting to feel overused and almost similar to any other MI movies. The fact that two major action scenes - Train & bike jump - was overly analyzed in multiple behind the scenes videos did take out some of the novelty for me.

Personally, felt it was a good watch, but nothing extraordinary. I would not have missed it anyway, but would have been okay watching it at home on TV too.

I am someone who rarely goes to cinemas (~ 3 times in past 10 years) and instead love to watch movies at home, so my opinion may be bit skewed.

Not related to this movie specifically, but wanted to try out the 4DX experience, hence went to PVR - Nexus mall/ Forum mall Koramangala, Bangalore one. The only time I enjoyed the 4DX experience was when during the Rome car chase, while car was skidding over the cobbled stones, the chair was moving around.

Else the whole time, it was somewhat kind of forced and not in sync with the movie. I would anyday opt for Imax instead of this in future.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 19:07   #9131
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I L-O-V-E business movies & shows. Relish every minute of them. Watched "Blackberry" on Amazon USA and loved it. Story about the once-iconic company with the once-iconic phone.

Glenn Howerton as Jim Balsillie - a ruthless, hard-charging aggressive CEO - is just fantastic. What's more, the movie is well-paced. Never slow, you'll never get bored. Just like so many other tech companies (e.g. Nokia, Xerox), they were once at the top of the game. Too big to fail, until they were completely disrupted & failed to adapt.

Giving this movie a full 5 / 5 stars.

GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 00:30   #9132
BHPian

Its going to be a Barbenheimer weekend

Booked both, Oppenheimer followed by Barbie.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-b1.jpeg

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-b2.jpeg

Last edited by Samfromindia : 21st July 2023 at 00:31.
Samfromindia is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 07:28   #9133
Distinguished - BHPian

Seeing a massive hype for Oppenheimer and Barbie. Have booked for Oppenheimer today. I noticed that there are shows starting at 6am in Bangalore and all of them are full. Have seen that only for our local superstar movies. Did not know Nolan has that kind of a crazed following here. Or is it just go with the hype to look cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post
Not related to this movie specifically, but wanted to try out the 4DX experience, hence went to PVR - Nexus mall/ Forum mall Koramangala, Bangalore one. The only time I enjoyed the 4DX experience was when during the Rome car chase, while car was skidding over the cobbled stones, the chair was moving around.
4DX is a marketing scam in my view and definitely not worth it at all. As you mentioned IMAX is a much better option for the experience.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 07:55   #9134
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Did not know Nolan has that kind of a crazed following here. Or is it just go with the hype to look cool.
There's definitely a fan following down south especially after the Batman series. People were cheering when they played the "Oppenheimer" trailer at Evil Dead screening.

This showed up on my feed few months back.

The movie is sold out here in major multiplexes today.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2023, 11:05   #9135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Seeing a massive hype for Oppenheimer and Barbie. Have booked for Oppenheimer today. I noticed that there are shows starting at 6am in Bangalore and all of them are full. Have seen that only for our local superstar movies. Did not know Nolan has that kind of a crazed following here. Or is it just go with the hype to look cool.
My daughter all of 12yrs old is repeatedly asking me to take her to watch Heimer and says most of her classmates are all going! Isn't the movie R rated?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks