Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2010, 09:50   #1621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
'There is something about mary' : Well it is sort of old movie, but saw it on FX y'day. Ben Stiller, Matt Dillon and Cameron Diaz have done a good job. Thoroughly enjoyable!!
+1. That was some movie. Hilarious to the core. Does anyone still remember that fella with itchy problem?
Old 16th January 2010, 12:30   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
'There is something about mary' : Well it is sort of old movie, but saw it on FX y'day. Ben Stiller, Matt Dillon and Cameron Diaz have done a good job. Thoroughly enjoyable!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
+1. That was some movie. Hilarious to the core. Does anyone still remember that fella with itchy problem?
Isn't the same film with a song and gel effect?
Old 16th January 2010, 13:11   #1623
BHPian

Negligible story line with great presentation (US competency). Too much hype around the movie. If you have to go for it, ensure that you see it in 3D for its presentation.

My rating 3/5
Old 16th January 2010, 13:24   #1624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Negligible story line with great presentation (US competency). Too much hype around the movie. If you have to go for it, ensure that you see it in 3D for its presentation.

My rating 3/5
3/5 coz of 3D.

The film reminds me of Vietnam Colony
Old 17th January 2010, 10:33   #1625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
i thought Others was a 2001 movie - wonder whether it is a copy of the hindi version!

oh...probably the star cast made to think that hindi version is older than the other.
But its not the case and hindi version (Hum Kaun Hai) was made 3-4yrs later.
Everything else is same but the i liked the performances in hindi movie more than english version especially Dimple Moshmi and two kids.
Old 17th January 2010, 14:38   #1626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsjaurr View Post
oh...probably the star cast made to think that hindi version is older than the other.
But its not the case and hindi version (Hum Kaun Hai) was made 3-4yrs later.
Everything else is same but the i liked the performances in hindi movie more than english version especially Dimple Moshmi and two kids.
Why is Amitabh in Hum Kaun Hai?
Old 17th January 2010, 18:07   #1627
BHPian

Avatar the movie -- An IT guy's take on Pandora

I am guessing that a lot of you like me have toiled to secure tickets to this once in a lifetime show of computer animation prowess that dwarf's anything that we have ever seen before; or for that matter anything that we may see for some time now.
I like all of us were looking forward to this 3D extravaganza, and was looking to see how the creator has merged one world with another with such finesse that its hard to spot the seam in the stitching. But what i walked out with at the end of the film was not the general awe of seeing this visual spectacle but an IT vision of a utopian system rendered visually and presented to us as Pandora. Yeah yeah i know, you think that i have had too much to drink, but for the time being lets park the blame for this cross-correlation on the 3D glasses and dwell into what we saw--

//DISCLAIMER :: Some of what follows is hardcore IT stuff,
if (any of this is known to cause allergic reactions or induce motion sickness)
//i suggest you
break;
else //here is my take

1) The universal IO port -- The Na'vi and all living forms on Pandora can interface with each other using their pony tail (read IO port) that looks a lot like the RS232 port (i am not kidding, i am sure i saw 9 strands in the Navi's pony tail) that they used to interface with any element living or dead in the Pandora system.
2) Strong authentication -- The Na'vi could interface and create a bond with another creature in Pandora upon passing the strong p2p authentication post establishment of link. In case the authentication failed, the component that initiated the link is marked as malicious and could face deadly consequences from the other party including pre term garbage collection!
3) Shared communication protocol -- No matter what being you are on Pandora basically meaning what language you speak, you could transfer your thoughts over this universal link in a language that is common between all beings. Now stirring up my mind a bit more i vaguely remember that in ancient civilization like China and Japan, the people had pony tails. Maybe there was a pony-to-pony (p2p ) communication protocol in our history as well which may have been lost or compromised as the world took to hair cuts to supposedly look better .
4) Serialization and persistence -- When the Na'vi died, the system did not lose the wealth of knowledge and experience that the being had accumulated. But the being's full state was serialized to the holy tree which i saw as the perfect RDBMS (SQL store) with infinite capacity to scale as it seems all Na'vi souls and their collective wealth of knowledge is captured in that single tree (I am sure after looking at this, Teradata and Oracle architects have a not so rosy yearly review in store for them this year).
5) There were other constructs like grid computing where all the Navi's connect with the tree and chant collectively to do some major transformations and Async calls where the tree responds to the Hero's prayers asynchronously by directing all animals to attack the humans just before the wait time out expired (or in this case the hero and heroine expired).

I am pretty sure, there were more such constructs which i may have missed which may require me to watch this movie a bit more closely the second time.
But this leaves open a few pertinent questions, if a non-tech person like the script writer can envision all these principles and show us what can be enabled with a few good design principles why is our world today diverging more and more from fundamental constructs and fuelling entropy!!

Last edited by xbox360 : 17th January 2010 at 18:24.
Old 17th January 2010, 19:57   #1628
BHPian

^^ good stuff !! :-)
Old 17th January 2010, 22:36   #1629
BHPian

xbox360
i could not understand 99% of your thoughts,but p2p-pony to pony imagination was good.
Old 17th January 2010, 22:44   #1630
BHPian

just saw Fantastic Mr. Fox - its a really cool movie !!
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009)

4/5
Old 18th January 2010, 09:51   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Anybody planning to see the movie Precious. I know its winning some golden globe. But a look at the storyline seems like cry-cry all the way..
If anyone has been it please update with your review.
Old 18th January 2010, 11:52   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
I saw PA on DVD and never found it disturbing at all.
Infact I was watching it all alone at night and the only creeps that it gave was the sound that could wake-up my wifey, fast asleep in the bedroom.
I don't know about you sammyboy, but I agree with Rocky Balboa!
It just did not make a lot of sense and neither were there any real spine chilling moments. Atleast the camera was steadier than other movies like this (Cloverfield for one)
Amazing that even my wife (who is unbelievably timid when it comes to horror movies) watched it all through without flinching too often.

@mobike, perhaps you do need to see it in a theatre to really "enjoy" this movie but I doubt the sound effects/darkness can make up for a lack of storyline/plot/ or any sense of closure.
(even though I sometimes do like open to interpretation type of storylines)
Old 18th January 2010, 13:31   #1633
BHPian

I saw PA in a theater.

It was 9 PM show.
The crowd was not so good. A lots of students came in groups. They were creating a lot of noise. And without any background score in the movie, it became really irritating.

One of the guys kept calling the lead hero "MIKA" and some useless comments about him and rakhi sawant.

I think, i would have enjoyed it more watching at home.

It was an OK movie. Didnt find anything too spooky.

The last good/genuine horror movie i saw was 1408

I would rate it 2.5/5

Last edited by SumitBahl : 18th January 2010 at 13:34.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:00   #1634
Distinguished - BHPian

Hmmm, some diverse feedback on PA. But, that will not deter me from watching it in theatre. Hopefully, sometime this week.

Watched "John Q" starring Denzel Washington

It's a story of a father who takes an entire hospital on hostage as they deny his son treatment of heart transplant as his insurance coverage does not cover the same.

Beautiful acting and heart rending execution. As usual, Denzel just rocks !

3.5/5
Old 18th January 2010, 18:05   #1635
BHPian

^^ why are you guys talking about PAA Paa (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia in the english movies thread?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks