Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2009, 09:19   #1561
Senior - BHPian

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans : 2.5/5Saw it coz it had Mr.Cage who is turns into a bad cop( drug addict etc) but still does good police work. His crack pot jokes were tough to understand too.

Australia : 3.5/5

Very lengthy movie. The photography is great ( cant believe some scenes to be real, so colorful and neat IMHO) .

Its a love story set in Australia during early 1940's. Nicole heads to Aus to meet her husband ( and make him sell his cattle farm) but she reaches the farm only to find him dead. Our man, Jack, is the guy who takes her to the farm. Basically, its a business deal getting bad and she being cheated. She gets Jack to help her drive (?) all the cattles to Darwin to sell it to the military for a nice price. En route they get attacked by opponents and that 2/3th of the story.

1/3th of the story revolves around the sweet kid.

A good film.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-badlieutenantportofcallneworleansposter_517x764.jpg  

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-australia.jpg  

Old 28th December 2009, 10:50   #1562
BHPian

Watched these two over the weekend (DVD):

1. The Blind Side: Based on the book by the same name and based on a true story, this one follows Michael Oher, an NFL lineman, through his poor childhood, his struggle through school, and his interaction with the Tuohy family who take him under their wing. A super performance by Quinton Aaron who plays Oher, and Sandra Bullock as the tough arsed Leigh Anne Tuohy. Also watch out for the kid, SJ, he is hilarious. Also starring Tim McGraw. Overall, a nice feel good family movie, with a little fun and some drama, good performances, decent directions and score. Worth a watch.
Score: 4/5

2. Where the Wild Things are: Utter crap. I cannot be bothered to write a review. Even the kids will not like it. Don't waste your time with this.

Score: 0/5 (I slept through half of it)

Last edited by anurag_p80 : 28th December 2009 at 10:52.
Old 28th December 2009, 19:53   #1563
Senior - BHPian

Watched Cloverfield yesterday. Liked the concept of showing the fear and agony of the people through that handheld camera angle when something disastrous or monstrous hits. You can kind of feel how scared those protagonists were during the ordeal. Find it much better then Godzilla. Definitely watchable. 7.5/10.
Public Enemies: Good movie, about a gangster which was played by Johnny Depp (somehow I find it so difficult to imagine any other rule then Jack Sparrow). Nicely told and well paced movie. I kinda felt that's it's like Road to Perdition, albeit different movie but the settings is so similar. Only problem was the crappy DVD quality, those idiots cut it to be 4:3 aspect ratio and the resolution is like VCD's then DVD (oh it's a original DVD from BigFlix). 7.5/10
Old 28th December 2009, 20:38   #1564
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
Public enemy is based on a true story with lot of cinematic liberty about John dilinger.
Very nice music, especially my otis taylor.
No access to bigflix etc, hence I downloaded the hd version from obvious places.
Old 28th December 2009, 22:03   #1565
BHPian

Just back after watching Sherlock Holmes. Brilliant movie. Definitely a must watch. Downey Jr & Jude Law have done a wonderful job. A completely different perspective to a clever but otherwise boring detective, Guy Ritchie has given due diligence to every small detail.

Saw Avatar in 3D last Friday. Just one word. WOW!!!!!!! Not a big fan of the story line but the special effects were 'out of this world'.

Last edited by wheeler : 28th December 2009 at 22:08.
Old 28th December 2009, 23:22   #1566
Senior - BHPian

holmes is one movie that iam looking forward to after avatar which basically has blown me away with its massive propotions .
an avid Ritchie fan here so im sure i wont be disappointed.
Old 29th December 2009, 00:08   #1567
BHPian

How is it that Avatar is completely booked this whole week at like ALMOST EVERY SINGLE THEATER IN BANGALORE! ARGGH i spent the whole day running around trying to get tickets and came up empty at like every theater except Fun Cinemas and that too its for tommorow morning. Jesus christ people go BACK TO WORK!
Old 29th December 2009, 00:51   #1568
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans : 2.5/5Saw it coz it had Mr.Cage who is turns into a bad cop( drug addict etc) but still does good police work. His crack pot jokes were tough to understand too.
Nicolas Cage is superb in this movie. The way walks and talks while on drugs; it's hard to imagine anybody else in this role. On the whole I kinda liked this one

I think, this will be nominated for the Oscars

Last edited by safari_lover : 29th December 2009 at 00:56.
Old 29th December 2009, 08:54   #1569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
How is it that Avatar is completely booked this whole week at like ALMOST EVERY SINGLE THEATER IN BANGALORE! ARGGH i spent the whole day running around trying to get tickets and came up empty at like every theater except Fun Cinemas and that too its for tommorow morning. Jesus christ people go BACK TO WORK!

Yesterday night, I booked a couple of tickets for 1st Jan 2010 2:00 P.M show at Urvashi ( near Lalbagh ) and there were a lot of seats available for the 2 P.M show ( I guess 6:00 P.M also). 39 Rs charges for booking and 100 Rs Non refundable charges. Popcorn+ cola free

2 tickets= 533 Rs ( The rear seats)

Please check the following link.

BookMyShow - Book Movie Tickets, buy movie tickets, theatre tickets, Plays Ticket, Live Concert Tickets Booking online

Last edited by muni : 29th December 2009 at 08:59.
Old 29th December 2009, 14:11   #1570
Senior - BHPian

Avataar is a nice movie. First 3d movie and i liked it big time. Story was lame though
Old 29th December 2009, 14:24   #1571
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler View Post
Just back after watching Sherlock Holmes. Brilliant movie. Definitely a must watch. Downey Jr & Jude Law have done a wonderful job. A completely different perspective to a clever but otherwise boring detective, Guy Ritchie has given due diligence to every small detail.
Boring Detective!!!
I have read each Holmes short story atleast 15 times. I have read each Holmes novel atleast 5-6 times. I can't think of any other fictional detective who is more interesting than Holmes.
Old 29th December 2009, 14:44   #1572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muni View Post
Yesterday night, I booked a couple of tickets for 1st Jan 2010 2:00 P.M show at Urvashi ( near Lalbagh ) and there were a lot of seats available for the 2 P.M show ( I guess 6:00 P.M also). 39 Rs charges for booking and 100 Rs Non refundable charges. Popcorn+ cola free

2 tickets= 533 Rs ( The rear seats)

Please check the following link.

BookMyShow - Book Movie Tickets, buy movie tickets, theatre tickets, Plays Ticket, Live Concert Tickets Booking online
I saw it this morning at Fun; i just got back. One word: AMAZING. The 3D expierence is somethin out of this world. Hell every action movie should be made in 3D. Story was pretty good, anyone who has seen Dances With Wolves apparently will recognize similar themes (i havent seen that movie). But the action scenes are nuts and the Nav'i world is very lush and verdant; reminded me of the Amazon rain forest. The way the weapons jump out at you and how the grass, dirt, and trees just fly into your face is . BTW, there is a pretty big political undertone if anyone noticed... .
Old 29th December 2009, 14:53   #1573
BHPian

I finally saw Lock, Stock & 2 smoking barrels last night and have to say it is an excellent film. 4/5 definitely..My wife did not understand most of it though :\ (due to the heavy East-end accents)
Old 2nd January 2010, 06:31   #1574
Senior - BHPian

watched this movie "Invictus" last night. don't know if it is available in India but try finding it at some multiplex. a very nice movie based on a real story, Enjoy the trailer...

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul."
Old 2nd January 2010, 19:21   #1575
BHPian

Golden Compass :

It has all cute furry animals but the picture should be avoided as it ends abruptly. Maybe they wanted to do a sequel still I hate the ending. You just feel that you wasted your time. :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks