Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2010, 12:03   #1711
Senior - BHPian

Saw 2010 oscar nominated "Julie & Julia" this weekend. Even though Meryl Streep's performance is good, I somehow didn't find the buzz factor for her to be nominated for the best actress.

Anyways my Rating: 3/5
Old 15th February 2010, 19:18   #1712
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Saw 2010 oscar nominated "Julie & Julia" this weekend. Even though Meryl Streep's performance is good, I somehow didn't find the buzz factor for her to be nominated for the best actress.

Anyways my Rating: 3/5
Watch Blind Side also and Wonder why Sandra is nominated Sometimes cant digest the nominations. Hurt Locker is Impressive though.

Last edited by Eddy : 15th February 2010 at 19:25. Reason: No piracy discussion allowed please. Thanks
Old 16th February 2010, 01:39   #1713
Senior - BHPian

I'm on a Oscar Trip and just finished watching "The Blind Side" which is a true story of the early life of Michael Oher. The story revolves around his background and his adoption by a white rich family which changed his life forever. Its a powerful human interest story with Superb performances both by Quniton Aaron and Sandra Bullock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Watch Blind Side also and Wonder why Sandra is nominated Sometimes cant digest the nominations. Hurt Locker is Impressive though.
Actually I'm actually surprised why Quniton Aaron was nominated for Favourite Actor. May be he hasn't cut his teeth in Hollywood properly. Quite liked Sandra Bullock's acting and IMO this is one of her best acting performances. Actually one can find similarities between this role and that of Julia Roberts in Erin Brockovich. I can definitely understand why she has been nominated. Another bit which I really liked was the explanation of the poem "Charge of the Light Brigade" by Lord Tennyson.

So I would rate this as 4/5

Of this year's oscar nominated movies, I've already seen "Up in the Air", "Julie & Julia", "Blind Side" and presently watching "The Messenger". Except Julie& Julia where one has to really search for the underlying message, all the other are very strong on the social message.

Taking cue from Julie & Julia, I now intend to finish watching all the nominated main stream movies before the Award Ceremony so that I can understand Jury's logic for the award.

Last edited by MileCruncher : 16th February 2010 at 01:40.
Old 17th February 2010, 09:28   #1714
Senior - BHPian

Saw "Invictus" last night starring Morgan Freeman and Matt Damon. Both the actors have been nominated for Oscar this year. The movie si about how Nelson Mandela uses the Rugby World Cup to unite the blacks and whites post apartheid.

Rating: 4/5
Old 17th February 2010, 11:38   #1715
Senior - BHPian

this weekend!!!

Saw the following last weekend

Spy Next Door: Jackie Chan is back and how!!! Looks a bit old but still does action with such elan. This time its family story integrated into spying, not a new concept but never seen Chan do that.

Quite liked it. One time watchable. 3.5/5

Universal Soldier Regeneration: JCVD (Jean Claude Van Damme) is back too. He too looks old in this movie. 3rd installment of Universal Soldier brings together two of the most prolific actors, JCVD and Dolphin Lundgren. Even though both has shorter role whenever they are on screen they lit it with fire. the action sequence between the two is fantastic. After the 1st part, which is my fav, i liked this one too. Story is predictable but quite good. Loooved the action.

Quite like the movie. One time definite watch. 4/5
Old 17th February 2010, 11:57   #1716
BHPian

saw a very well made movie 'strictly sexual' Strictly Sexual (2008) on www.HULU.com and quite liked it. 3.5/5
Old 17th February 2010, 16:35   #1717
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Has anyone seen the The Brother Grimms starring Matt Damon and Heath Ledger?
Saw this movie. Its set in 1700's ( something like your Harry Potter Series) and story of two brothers who con people saying they can slay evil spirits et.all. But, when they come across a real evil spirit phenomena, they show their real self, which is their coward self.

Movie begins slow but picks up pace later on. I am not a huge mythological and fantasy film lover but this movie somehow made be glue to the screen 30 mins into the movie. Some of the cinematography is pretty good with some good computer graphics thrown in.

Monica Belluci is there in a short cameo, maybe its worth to watch just for her

Overall, its a decent timepass.

2.5/5
Old 17th February 2010, 17:44   #1718
BHPian

Watched "The Wolfman" last week. The movie seemed promising with a stellar cast that includes Anthony Hopkins, Benicio Del Torro and Hugo Weaving. The movie opened with some exciting scenes but everything went downhill after that. With the exception of the star cast this movie had a 'made for tv' vibe and the wolfman resembles those hyper hairy people that you see on discovery channel. In many parts the movie tries to be like the 1993 Bram Stoker's Dracula (which was a cinematic masterpiece) but falls flat on it's face. At the risk of sounding cliched, I have to say that this Wolfman lacks bite!

Some great werewolf movies that I would recommend for horror movie buffs:

1. The Howling (all parts but especially 1, 2 & 4)
2. Silver Bullet
3. Big Bad Wolf
4. Dog Soldiers
5. Wolf
Old 18th February 2010, 16:19   #1719
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched " Scarface" starring Al Pacino.

This is one of the most powerful mafia/crime/hoodlum movie that is ever made on this face of earth. I think RGV went bonkers after seeing this movie but he still churned out decent movies of his own in this genre ( Sathya/company etc).

After seeing this movie, i dont think Al Pacino has acted any better in any of his future movies. Absolutely aggressive-ly, hunger for success-fully brilliant.

I am buying a DVD for my collection purpose

5/5

P.S: Next in line is Hunt for Red October
Old 18th February 2010, 16:39   #1720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

P.S: Next in line is Hunt for Red October
Amazing acting by Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin. Especially superb is the twist in the tale in the end.
Old 18th February 2010, 16:42   #1721
BHPian

Quote:
Watched " Scarface" starring Al Pacino.
Scarface had been banned in India at the time of its 1984 release. Later in 1988 the ban was lifted and I watched it at Chanakya in New Delhi then. By then Bollywood had already churned out plenty of movies copied from/inspired by Scarface. The most notable two being, a Mithun starrer called Mujrim and the Amitabh starrer Agneepath.
Old 18th February 2010, 17:23   #1722
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Amazing acting by Sean Connery and Alec Baldwin. Especially superb is the twist in the tale in the end.
I read the novel. So Alec is Jack Ryan? Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Scarface had been banned in India at the time of its 1984 release. Later in 1988 the ban was lifted and I watched it at Chanakya in New Delhi then. By then Bollywood had already churned out plenty of movies copied from/inspired by Scarface. The most notable two being, a Mithun starrer called Mujrim and the Amitabh starrer Agneepath.
True. But, only RGV can capture that raw emotion and violence that was Scarface.
Old 18th February 2010, 17:31   #1723
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I read the novel. So Alec is Jack Ryan? Huh?

True. But, only RGV can capture that raw emotion and violence that was Scarface.
Yes Alec Baldwin is Jack Ryan. Now that you have said it, I also intend to watch it today.
Old 19th February 2010, 10:35   #1724
Distinguished - BHPian

I know i am very late.

Booked in for a visual experience of "Avataar" on sunday late night show at Prasad IMAX in 3D version.

Please tell me i am getting excited for a good reason
Old 19th February 2010, 12:29   #1725
Team-BHP Support

^^. I don't think you will like the movie. Just my hunch.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks