Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2010, 07:17   #1666
BHPian

Cinema Paradiso - movie rental chain is closing down operations. Got a letter from them stating the same and informing us to collect initial deposit ASAP. Members, please check with your local stores.

regards
tifosi.

Last edited by tifosikrishna : 25th January 2010 at 07:18.
Old 25th January 2010, 08:46   #1667
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Oh Yeah, how can i forget the first 3. But, i didnt know they made Rainman and The chamber too. That's nice !
Samurai had already corrected me that its not Rainman but The Rainmaker. Nice move too!
Old 25th January 2010, 10:55   #1668
BHPian

Quote:
If you are really curious, try reading Jean Auel's Earth's Children series. They are highly researched books, basically a fiction based on pre-historic Europe when Cro-Magnon & Neanderthals roamed the earth.
I own two of these- The Clan of the Cave Bear, and The Valley of Horses. I read them in reverse order though. Can't say I am a big fan. Found the story quite soap-operatic (if there is such a phrase, hehe).

Caught these movies over the weekend:

1. Avatar 3D: Mixed feelings about this one. Loved the imagination, and the proliferation of colours. The mythical world of Pandora was magnificently created in magnificent detail. 3D added to the whole experience. However, the story was totally lame. Would have been a complete chick flick if you take the guns out of the equation. One time watch only. 3/5

2. Peter Sellers' Pink Panther: Caught 3 movies- A Shot in the Dark, The Pink Panther, and The Revenge of the Pink Panther. I have watched these before, but the original rendition of Closseau is a classic. Sellers Rocks. 4.5/5

3. The Hurt Locker: Decent enough movie. Life of a Bomb Squad in Iraq. Decent Cameos by Ralph Fiennes, Guy Pearce et al. I expected more though. The premise being so good, a harder-hitting movie could have been made. The promise was left unrealized. 3/5
Old 25th January 2010, 12:20   #1669
BHPian

Forrest Gump is my all time Favourite.
Add Gladiator, Brave Heart, Cast Away in English.
Old 25th January 2010, 12:25   #1670
BHPian

I watched these movies over the last weekend, all these are classics & have to watch movies

1) The hurt locker
2) Snatch
3) Jackie Brown
4) The fight club
Old 25th January 2010, 18:31   #1671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
Watched Into the wild, a classic must match movie
A brilliant yet sad movie. Makes you think hard on priorities of life.
Old 25th January 2010, 19:03   #1672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn12 View Post
I watched these movies over the last weekend, all these are classics & have to watch movies

1) The hurt locker
2) Snatch
3) Jackie Brown
4) The fight club
Generally the term Classic refers to the movies made in Hollywood studio system, basically 60s and before. I guess the definition is getting loose these days.
Old 27th January 2010, 16:55   #1673
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw " The Constant Gardener" starring Ralph Fiennes and Rachel Wiez

It's the story of a british diplomat and his wife ( Rachel). Rachel is very strong minded and unearths a sinister plot of pharma companies doing a dangerous clinical experiment in Africa. She is murdered and Ralph goes to Africa to investigate the cause of his death.

How big companies and political players make best of this situation is the summary of the story.

Based on "John Le Carre" book who is an acclaimed spy novelist. I have read one or two of his novels and found his style of writing a bit unusual and complex.

This movie is slow but gripping. Do check it out

3.5/5
Old 27th January 2010, 19:25   #1674
Senior - BHPian

astro boy: nice animation movie. a feel good movie with a hint of emo. one time watchable. 3/5

fame: on the lines of step up series, comes another inspirational movie that has music, dance, instruments at its best. it urges us to follow our dreams, the things we love and how to pursue it. 3/5

Couple's Retreat: The name brings to mind one thing after watching, mind blowing location. Its shot at St Bora Bora resort as per Wikipedia. And its heaven. The theme of movie in a nutshell is how couple's find love with each other while they are on brink of divorce. Good performances by 4 couples. 4/5
Old 28th January 2010, 11:05   #1675
BHPian

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: Went into this one with low expectations, and it was a surprise for sure. Refreshingly direct, this is a childrens tale about a kid who fancies himself a scientist and invents a machine which can produce different kinds of food from water. Lame story, I knw. But it works!!!! At least for me. It has some genuinely funny moments, and the characters are well thought of. Animation lovers should definitly give it a dekko. 3/5
Old 28th January 2010, 15:49   #1676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
This is a very misleading theory they are trying to spread. Early humans were not all cannibals and violent people. The tribes they show are aberrations since they never evolved like rest of the world, something wrong with them genetically I suppose.
Of course early humans were not all Cannibals but yes some were! Eating defeated enemy combatants was a practice common to many cultures during the past. In fact cannibalism is still very much alive in Papua New Guinea even today.

The tribes they shown are pretty evolved as they are shown owning domesticated livestock, use tools and weapons, fashion canoes for transportation, have spiritual beliefs and a complex social structure with their own taboos! In fact the Yanomamo tribe exists in real life Ya?nomamö - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that the actors in the film were actually Yanomamo people but the cannibalism is fictionalised. At the end of the day it's a horror / adventure movie whose sole purpose was to be revolting and shocking.
Old 28th January 2010, 16:57   #1677
BHPian

Forrest Gump : One of my favourite comedy movie

I am sure most of you'll might have watched it already.

Rating : 4.5/5

Also, see Borat, you will die laughing (i.e if you like those types of comedies)
Old 28th January 2010, 21:44   #1678
BHPian

Recently caught up:

The hurt locker : Ok movie, A one time watch though. Some scenes are good keeps your nerve wracking.!

Inglorius Basterds : Good Movie, doesnot reach the heights of Pulp fiction and likewise. The scene wherein Christoph waltz has an interaction with the theatre lady is the best scene. Also the bar encounter are superbly done.

Avatar 3-D : Just Epic.! ( For the technology that went into it. Hats off to WETA Digital). A must watch.

The Blind Side : Feel good movie about a African American kid who is adopted by a American family, goes on to become a Football(American) star.Based on a true story and he is in Baltimore Ravens team.

Ratatoille is one of my favourite films, any one who says animation is for kids should watch this one.! A great pixar fan.

In Pipeline : Invictus,Book of Eli,Lovely Bones and Sherlock.
Old 28th January 2010, 22:06   #1679
Senior - BHPian

My, Ever green Favourite Movie is of Titanic. The love and the tragedy travels parallel. I saw the Avatar yester day. Very good effects with 3d glasses. Thought of taking my Grand daughters next time for the experience and decided to keep me out in the City center. It is too much artificial. Of course it is a imaginary one.
Old 29th January 2010, 17:43   #1680
BHPian

Saw Blind Side (The Blind Side (2009)) - the true story of how American footballer Michael Oher (Michael Oher - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) was taken in by Tuohy family and raised to become successful in life!
my rating 4.5/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks