Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2023, 16:39   #9091
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Although I am a fan of Mr Eastwood, I had avoided watching The Million Dollar Baby all these years for some reason.

Wife wanted to watch it on a whim and well wow. What a lovely piece of cinema!

Eastwood, Swank and Freeman all just made it quite a watch.

I am only 19 years late
deathwalkr is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 00:07   #9092
BHPian

Watched Transformers: Rise of the Beasts(8/10) & Spiderman - Across the Spider-verse(9/10) last weekend. Both movies were good but I liked Spiderman a bit more story-wise. Transformers movies are fun when big robots are fighting and doing their stuff so whenever the human characters are on the screen the movie gets a bit less exciting.
Spiderman was thoroughly entertaining and had a lot of things going at once to keep your mind occupied. The ending is a cliff hanger and you will have to wait long to see what happens next.
Old 15th June 2023, 06:33   #9093
Distinguished - BHPian

Watch Tom Cruise drift one-handed In Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning Trailer

Rome car chase- Behind the scenes

Quote:
Filmed on location in Rome, the car chase includes a BMW 5 Series and an original Fiat 500.

Tom Cruise does all his driving one-handed, even while sliding the BMW around corners. Usually, this would be easy to fake, except the BMW Cruise is driving is missing all its doors.

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th June 2023 at 06:48.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 11:14   #9094
Senior - BHPian

Hypnotic: 4/5

Great movie and very refreshing considering most movies put forth these days. I truly believe the low ratings are from people who didn't understand the movie. I feel like this movie is what I hoped Tenet would have been. Unfortunately, I was not smart enough to understand that movie. Hypnotic has hints of Inception due to the complex nature of the movie and the layers it has throughout.

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 09:00   #9095
Distinguished - BHPian

The Flash - 3.5 / 5

So is the Flash a good response from DC's side good enough to Marvel's multiverse movies (primarily the Spiderman movie)?

Short answer - somewhat.

Long answer - if DC had come out with this movie a decade ago (when the planning actually started), this movie would have done much better. Erza Miller holds his ground pretty well and does a decent job. Both Batman, especially Michael Keaton do a pretty decent job. Where the movie falters (and here comes the comparison with Marvel) is the depiction of multiverse-universes where the CGI work is horrendous.

Bonus part are the superhero characters depicted (even if momentarily) in the different universes.

Worth a onetime watch in the theatre for sure. I had fun.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 16th June 2023 at 09:02.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 09:18   #9096
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Where the movie falters (and here comes the comparison with Marvel) is the depiction of multiverse-universes where the CGI work is horrendous.
Why is everyone jumping on the 'multiverse' bandwagon? Admittedly, I'm older than the target audience, but isn't there a market for just a plain old super villain anymore for these sort of movies? Time travel and parallel universes have been done to death.

Anyway, glad to hear the movie's worth a watch, thanks for the review!
Old 16th June 2023, 10:40   #9097
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Why is everyone jumping on the 'multiverse' bandwagon?
I think the primary reason why the studios are doing this is to be more inclusive. You see, if we keep on sticking to the original source, then the main characters like Superman, Batman, Spiderman, flash etc. will always continue to be white male characters while the other races and gender will continue to occupy the secondary roles/characters. Imagine, 200 years down the line, we still have the main characters who are all from the same race.

Having a multiverse allows the studios to bring in a varied variety of characters in terms of gender, race etc. Due to this, we saw a black and an Indian Spiderman, we also saw a female Superman in the flash and a female Loki in the Loki TV series. Of course, this does not make the representation of the races and gender equal, but it is a good step towards potentially achieving it.

So IMO, having a multiverse is a good middle ground via which the studios need not alter the 'original' timeline and yet showcase people from different sections of the society in the main role. In contrast, a show named Cleopatra was launched recently on Netflix which tried to distort history on the basis of a technicality and the audience rejected the show(rightfully so). As long as the producers don't distort history, the product will sell. Imagine Ryan Gosling playing Martin Luther King.

Along with history, people also don't want the studios to alter the original timeline since that is what many people grew up watching. For e.g. a movie called The Little Mermaid was released recently which was a remake of the OG 1989 movie which was animated. The studio decided to cast a black actress in the role of the Mermaid and people did not take very kindly to this. At a personal level, I do not agree with this hate and I feel that it is important to be more inclusive in terms of representation. If the script itself is bad, then there is no excuse. This shows that whether right or wrong, people don't take too kindly to a change in the 'original' character. And thus, the middle path of multiverse.
AYP is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 11:24   #9098
Senior - BHPian

KANDAHAR: 4.5/5

Very intense, thrilling and well directed movie. Highly recommended movie if you enjoy international espionage related storyline. Considering it is based on a true story, it adds a further kick to the plot.

This film exemplifies what it is like to pass a day, a week, a month in the political subter-world substrate of the middle east with tentacles. A network and webwork or devious connections, bargaining, and play for plays.

RM Motorsports is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 00:57   #9099

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts: 3/5

The film is a one-time entertainment. Plot-wise it's completely predictible and does not possess any wow factor but the action and pace of progress will keep you glued to your seats. The big bad has been managed extremely well. Overall the nostalgia of the franchise, especially related to the shows that have depicted similar plots will appeal to both long-time fans while offering casual viewers something to engage in a promising filmverse; it also paves way for those who are willing to embrace the shift from Bayverse. Robot designs could've been better for few characters but overall it is satisfactory

The Flash: 3.25/5

Being the one of the last DCEU films, it joins the ranks of one-time watch films DCEU is known for. It has an okay plot that tries to segregate itself from source material and clearly does not create a masterpiece unlike the source material, hence don't keep your hopes too high with this one. The pace on several occasions and length of the film are quite concerning. The protagonist is not entirely likeable acting-wise but he does his best to fit in his role. Most of the cast do their jobs well even if they appear for few minutes, and the undisclosed cast will make viewers cheer for them if they recognise those special appearances respectively. Ending could've been better but the current version is good too.

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th June 2023 at 09:15. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Please use EDIT function if you want to add content shortly after submitting a post.
Old 17th June 2023, 10:06   #9100
Senior - BHPian

Extraction 2

This movie should have been released in theatres. It's action on steroids. The prison fight is One of the best action sequences i have ever seen cleverly stitched together to make it in one shot. Hemsworth should do more such roles as it suits his personality and judging by the ending there will be a 3rd part. Story is clichéd but fast pace action holds it well throughout.

Rating - 4/5
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 13:48   #9101
BHPian

Rescued by Ruby is a heart warming , feel good movie about relationship: man to animal, man to wife and man to man. It is based on a true story and it leaves you spell bound.

They say Border Coolie is at the top when it comes to the most intelligent dog (followed by the German Shepherd). You throw a dyslexic police officer with a Border Collie dog who has her own problems and a strong caring wife into the mixture - Rescued By Ruby results.

Easily 5/5.
Prowler is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 17:28   #9102
Senior - BHPian

I agree. Had me mesmerized. Hollywood just ups its game every time. Cant wait for Mission Impossible
Building upon its predecessor, the movie catapults into a crazy viewing experience that's a true masterpiece. Hemsworth is just right for the role.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Extraction 2This movie should have been released in theatres. It's action on steroids. The prison fight is One of the best action sequences
Attached Images

Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 07:34   #9103
BHPian

Just finished Extraction 2 - it’s spectacular!

Can’t put in words the viewing experience - kinetic, is the best description I can come up with.

And just putting it out there, why doesn’t someone do this already:
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-fa1eeaf56d464abdba99f60fad99ca2bcollage.jpeg  

Pequod is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 14:34   #9104
Senior - BHPian

Finished Extraction 2 last night. Brilliant for the genre and Chris Hemsworth delivers in spades.

Overall action sequences could easily rank amongst the best out there - cars, bikes, even a train and guns. The hand to hand combat was beautifully shown and directed. It’s all hard core and brutal. This is must watch for every action aficionado.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 18th June 2023 at 14:36.
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 12:58   #9105
Distinguished - BHPian

Kandahar Netflix

I started watching the movie expecting something interesting and the presence of someone called Ali Fazal. The opening scene was a cracker and from then on it went downhill like anything. The movie is so dull and without any hurriedness one would expect out of an espionage thriller. Picture this- Higher ups at the CIA are always found looking at too many screens at any given point of time, nothing more and nothing less !!

There is nothing in the movie that we have not seen before and in a much better way before. the movie is too much preachy and much pontification destroys the pace of the movie which should be fast paced to interest the viewer. Gerard Butler has played this type of role before. Ali Fazal and his track in the movie is entirely superficial, complete waste. The story lacks substance and has nothing new to offer. Watch a rerun of ARGO instead.

Rating- 1/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks