Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2023, 13:10   #9106
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched Extraction 2 on Netflix based on so many recommendations and thanks to all for that. The movie was mesmerizing with the wonderful action scenes, I particularly liked the train action sequence and the various scenes shot in the building. However the last scene looked a bit lame as it felt very easy peasy for the lead to proceed to the ending.

Will eagerly wait for the third installment.

Rating: 4/5
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 08:40   #9107
Senior - BHPian

John Wick 4

Streaming: Lionsgate

Being a huge fan of the earlier 3 movies, I watched this one by opting for the annual Lionsgate subscription but the movie didn't meet my expectations. None of the action scenes seems to have that wow factor. Many scenes were totally not fitting in the movie. Keanue Reeves looks old and fagged out. I hope the franchisee ends here.

Rating: 2/5
ghodlur is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 11:44   #9108
Senior - BHPian

The Offering (Prime)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13103732/

"A family struggling with loss find themselves at the mercy of an ancient demon trying to destroy them from the inside"

Rated 5.2/10 on imdb with some 4k odd votes, it felt risky but with horror movies becoming a dwindling list, we decided to give it a try.

It's a slow burn with not many jump scares, but i felt the movie was taken well and the Jewish angle gave a different aspect towards this genre.

Would rate it a 3.5/5.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 12:22   #9109
Senior - BHPian

Operation Fortune - Ruse De Guerre

Streaming: Lionsgate Play

An out an out Jason Statham movie with lot of actions and lots of funny one liners thrown in. Hugh Grant & Josh Hartnett stole the show with their superb supporting performances. The plot was good keeping one of edge although the ending was a bit of a dampener. The locales were beautiful. Recommended for one time watch for sure.

Rating: 4/5
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 10:52   #9110
Distinguished - BHPian

1) 65 (Netflix)

Starring Adam Driver, the movie had some good moments going for it. It made an attempt to make me care for, to empathize with the central character and then placed him in mortal danger. I rooted for him, but not in an intense way, sadly. There was a missing element of tautness. Perhaps its because there was no clearly identified villain or peril and there wasn't enough of a build-up for it.

Online reviews and critics are unanimously not kind to this movie, perhaps on account of the cheap special effects it has. I can't quite tell if I am damaged goods because I'm here telling you that it's a borderline good movie. What's wrong with me?

2) Kandahar (Amazon Prime)

Gerard Butler looks haggard and stretched thin as a retired special forces operative who is contracted out by the CIA/MI6 for covert ops in hostile regions. I never really connected with the character; weirdly enough, I did feel intrigued by a recurring character in the movie (portrayed by an actor who played a Viking on Netflix). Otherwise, there wasn't much to keep me captivated. But I didn't switch off the TV and I did feel a bit compelled to finish watching it at least.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 12:53   #9111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
1) 65 (Netflix)

Online reviews and critics are unanimously not kind to this movie, perhaps on account of the cheap special effects it has. I can't quite tell if I am damaged goods because I'm here telling you that it's a borderline good movie. What's wrong with me?
I have watched it yesterday and I agree with your review . It is not as terrible as the reviews state, despite the plot being cliché .

The plot could have been much deeper and could have included some specific fauna, not limiting to just some scary monsters to be more scientifically authentic ( of course, this is no way any Documentary) .

I think it is a one time watch, especially with Kids where their interest in Space travel/ Prehistoric Earth can be piqued !
poised2drive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 20:19   #9112
Distinguished - BHPian

So Fast X is available on Amazon Prime on rent. Now who in his sane mind would want to watch it after renting it for Rs. 399/- ?

I'll wait for it to become free and then watch it as per my convenience. My take is that it'll be free in a week's time.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_20230629_201557.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 10:59   #9113
Senior - BHPian

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts

Watched this yester-night. Have been a huge Transformers fan from start although hated last few instalments, hence the expectations were low. But I wasn’t entirely disappointed with this one to be honest. This is a decent watch and is best enjoyed in big screen 3D atleast. Big robots clashing is always fascinating to watch, just that humans taking screentime makes it a bit boring

Rating : 3/5

Last edited by SoumenD : 1st July 2023 at 11:28.
SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 22:08   #9114
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Great movies should be watched not once, but twice. Reason = the first time, you are in awe. The second time, you notice a lot of small details you missed the first time.

Nothing but the truth on Prime Video = 4.5 / 5 stars. Deadly story of a journalist who stubbornly refuses to give away her source, despite being jailed.

Highly recommended watch.

GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 22:09   #9115
Distinguished - BHPian

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny - Rating it a solid 4/5

Harrison Ford effortlessly slips back into being Indy and Phoebee Waller-Bridge brings the right kind of energy onto the screen. Story is typically Indy storyline with a good mix of history, mythology, archeology and treassure hunting. The chase scenes are well directed and I definitely liked the retro feel of the sets and scenes. Movie pacing is good and you wont be bored. On the whole, a good Indiana Jones movie after a long time. Definitely worth a watch on the big screen with family.
procrj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 07:26   #9116
Distinguished - BHPian

Extraction 2

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-2r9fxuuh1lpgglkrj7eun.jpeg

Like the first instalment, this didn't disappoint. Brilliantly choreographed action sequences and like always, their cinematography. But felt the previous one looked more natural when compared to this but nevertheless, it was brilliant.
Story-wise, this was good but overall, part 1 was better.

Here's the part 1 making -

Rating - 4/5 (Netflix) - Recommended.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 10:51   #9117
Distinguished - BHPian

Mission Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part 1 - Rating 3.75/5

A typically mission impossible story line with lots of action and Hayley Atwell getting more screen time vs Tom Cruise. First half might feel a little slow but I liked the Mission Impossible one style cinematography thats almost like a tribute to Brian De Palma. Decent screenplay, supported by good direction, cinematography and BGM make it a good watch on the Big Screen. Looking forward to part 2 now

Last edited by procrj : 13th July 2023 at 11:05.
procrj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 11:59   #9118
BHPian

Caught a late night show of the Mission Impossible - Dead reckoning Part 1 yesterday and to be honest, it just might be among the best mission impossible movies. Tom Cruise does his usual thing with crazy stunts n all but the storyline in itself is really gripping and some ways really scary given the real world implications and the very real threat of such a scenario!

Will give it a 4.5/5.
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 07:38   #9119
Team-BHP Support

Caught MI last night thoroughly enjoyed it , a bit of comedy inserted in. The last train scene stretched it a bit.

His stunts were the icing on the cake!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 10:41   #9120
Senior - BHPian

Amul special doodle as the latest in ‘Mission Impossible’ franchise hits the cinemas!

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20230715_104024.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 15th July 2023 at 10:50.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks