Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2023, 03:20   #9196
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Spider-Man - Across The Spider-Verse 5/5
( sequel to Into the Spider-Verse ) ( animated )

Went to the hall for this movie and in my opinion it’s one of the best if not the best Spider-Man movie made. Fun movie, great character development and honestly altogether a movie you will enjoy and remember especially if you’ve read comics as a child. One thing I will add which I found very creative was that in every different universe shown, the art of the animation changes. Sony did something similar in the prequel where the main character was at a slower frame rate than the other characters.
Just something to notice.

Hope you like it !
Old 15th August 2023, 10:28   #9197
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepUP! View Post
Heart of stone 3/5
But otherwise liked the plot, action sequences. Somehow I feel people are ok with Tom Cruise or Vin Diesel doing all stupid impossible things. But when Gal Gadot does, all of sudden it becomes unreal or cliche plot.
Judging by the reviews of F&F recent movies, it would be safe to say that people are not OK with Mr Diesel these days

As for Mr Cruise, the man is on another level altogether and fully deserves the accolades for the stunts he does in his movies of late. And he's 60+!

Have not watched Heart of stone so not commenting on it.
Old 15th August 2023, 10:31   #9198
BHPian

Heart of Stone on Netflix
You can find everything associated with a Netflix "Original" film in this one. Nothing much will be original about it. The storyline will be a mashup of a hit source - Bird box, Silence, Shaft, Old Guard, Red Notice, Grey Man, Adam Project, Polar etc are some that I can recollect right now. Both the Extraction movies were exceptions IMO. Else most are effortlessly blended cliches from successful movies, made into an underwhelming and ordinary product. In this case, it is a mix of Mission Impossible and one of those F&F movies-the God'e Eye stuff). Add some Asian actors in to the mix expecting a wider reach.(Alia is the F&F's Ramsey version in this one). Starts off well giving out hopes of something fresh but then moves on to the Netflix Original zone. Watch it only if you have nothing else to watch.
AnnaRocks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 17:01   #9199
BHPian

Sharing the below engaging finds from a recent flight:

Nothing Lasts Forever - Solid 5/5

An amazing insight into the hidden and secretive world of the global diamond trade.
I am an industry insider and can vouch for it.
Not sure if it's available on any of the OTT platforms.
DO NOT MISS IT.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20230814_163932.jpg

Language Lessons - 4/5
A well directed and acted saga of human connections.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20230814_152456.jpg
trek is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 17:39   #9200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
Sharing the below engaging finds from a recent flight:

Nothing Lasts Forever - Solid 5/5

Not sure if it's available on any of the OTT platforms.
DO NOT MISS IT.
Its on Netflix. Added to watchlist. Thanks for the recommendation.

https://www.netflix.com/in/title/81586873
TheRandomGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 18:24   #9201
BHPian

The Super Mario Bros. Movie 5/5

For anyone who’s played super mario on the n64 or game boy etc, this movie is a must watch. It’s funny, entertaining and really gives a decent backstory of how Mario came to be known in the mushroom kingdom. Also the portrayal of Bowser is just amazing. I can guarantee it’s not what you would expect.
Old 15th August 2023, 19:04   #9202
Senior - BHPian

Lately, I have started to love watching documentaries more and more about politics, sports, finance, and various important events..
May be it's got to do with the fact that I am in my mid-40's now..

Anyways, watched quite a few sports documentaries recently
The Deepest Breath - Must watch - 9/10 - Netflix
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt24132732/

This is about free diving without any kind of support and see the max depth you can reach. As you can probably imagine, this is one of the most dangerous sports in the world with a high fatality rate. I won't reveal spoilers, but this movie will give you several heart-in-the-mouth moments and your pulse rate is going to be racing very high. And, then there is the emotional angle which will leave you in tears.. I am not a person who cries after watching emotional or sad movies but I was almost in tears, which happens very very rarely. Don't miss it.

Icarus - Highly recommended - 8/10 - Netflix
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6333060/
What starts of a doping experiment ends up being a Swoden-like situation where a whistle blower reveals the state sponsored doping in Russia for Olympics and other sports for so many years. At the end, it makes you think the pressures of competitive sport and how it is taking away the real joy and purpose of sports.. Frankly, I am not sure how many athletes are doping today. Honestly, nobody knows, but many believe the number is no-trivial

Mark Cavendish: Never Enough - Good - 7.5/10 - Netflix
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28290216/
After watching Tour De France:Unchained, I am now super interested in anything related to Tour De France. This documentary about Mark Cavendish is inspirational as it takes you through extreme highs to extreme lows and then ends on a high... Another takeaway is the importance of relationships (friends, family) is more important than anything else in the world..definitely, worth a watch.

Also, went to the theaters after a long time, to watch Barbie and Oppenheimer.

Barbie -not worth watching, rating -4/10
It is such a silly movie with nice looking sets and a pretty actress but absolutely pointless.. it has become a huge blockbuster at the box-office but I am yet to find someone who really liked the movie. Even my teeange daughter went with her friends and even they didn't like the movie much.

Oppenheimer -Must watch, rating - 9/10
Oppenheimer is a masterpiece - 3 hours' long movie mostly based on dialogues and not a single dull moment. Nolan is a genius, and his breadth is increasing with every movie. The movie doesn't really takes sides, and leave the interpretation to the viewer, which I liked.
adimicra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th August 2023, 20:30   #9203
Team-BHP Support

Watched Captain Phillips on Amazon Prime.

Based on the true story of a hijacking of a container ship off the coast of Somalia, and the subsequent actions of the crew and military action.

5/5
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 14:45   #9204
BHPian

Donnie Brasco (1997): An insightful look at the routine and professional aspects of low- to mid-level criminal life. The movie is partially based on Pistone's real-life events. I must say this is one of the best performances by Johnny Depp. I guess this is the only movie where Pacino was more human than a substance. The choreography was on point, but I feel that the screenplay could be better with a few overwhelming shots.

PS: Don't miss Tim Blake Nelson & Paul Giamatti. They were in the movie too for hardly 2 minutes.

7/10

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-p19088_v_h10_af.jpg
GhostGrid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 17:02   #9205
BHPian

Transformers: Rise of the Beasts (3/5)

I watched this recently and in my opinion it’s something I would call a “one time watch”. The story seems interesting enough to keep you watching the movie to the end but I feel that it could’ve been better. The first 3 transformers movies with Shia LaBeouf was much more interesting and engaging in my opinion but this isn’t that bad either.
Also, it has nothing to do with the first 5 movies but seems to be connected to Bumblebee to some extent.
Ghost131100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 10:44   #9206
Senior - BHPian

Dungeons & Dragons: Honor among Thieves

Streaming: Amazon

It pains when seasoned actors like Chris Pine, Hugh Grant and Michelle Rodrigues are doing roles in such kind of stupid movies. Zero plot, zilch acting, unnecessary things in the name of magic, bad CGI all adds to the movie to be totally avoided.

Rating: 1.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 13:02   #9207
BHPian

Don’t know how, but finally finished watching “Heart of Stone” on Netflix; just for the sake of it! What a monumental let-down, tbh.

1/5.
IamNikhil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 11:33   #9208
Distinguished - BHPian

Anyone watched 'Blue Beetle' yet? Worth watching, or wait for Amazon/Netflix?

And what's the deal with the ticket prices at Rex (Bangalore). How come movie tickets are 1000-1500 bucks there? Is the experience there really worth those sort of prices? (Thanks in advance for any replies.)
am1m is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 17:46   #9209

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

And what's the deal with the ticket prices at Rex (Bangalore). How come movie tickets are 1000-1500 bucks there? Is the experience there really worth those sort of prices? (Thanks in advance for any replies.)
It could be screening IMAX 2D shows, hence the price. They are expensive, as was recently observed during Oppenheimer as well
DarthGrrGrr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 22:13   #9210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
It's a decent film, with nothing to talk about after you exit the theatre, You may enjoy the movie in the moment but you will forget it the next day itself.
If you aren't a superhero movie fan then you can surely skip this.
Ranabegins is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks