Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2022, 20:00   #8446
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Dolittle (2020) on Netflix

So Lame, 1/5 stars. Apologies for being blunt but I really expected much more. This is one of my favorite stories from childhood and this movie butchers it. I guess the CGI is okay but Downey Jr. as a depressed vet is such a drag. He looks tired, not for the sake of movie but just tired and bored at the movie itself. And then there are cheesy cliches that you have to bear with all along.

I am all for fun, family/kid movies but this one just doesn't cut it - I mean you can technically watch it safely with family (elder parents etc) but utterly forgettable.

Biggest challenge is surviving the long drawn warm up time before the movie picks up some pace. I was pretty bored by the time Dolittle leaves his sanctuary for Queen's palace. So, an easy skip IMO.
amol4184 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 08:13   #8447
Distinguished - BHPian

American Underdog: The Kurt Warner Story: 3.5 / 5

The one track that Hollywood does a good job is the story of the underdog in sports rising up to the front. Coach Carter. Invincible. The Blind Side. Rocky (and the later Creed). Remember the Titans. Cool Runnings. And so many more.

American Underdog is on the exact similar track, a story of one of the best undrafted (American) football star of the 90s. Zachary Levi (of Shazam fame) does a pretty decent job in the lead role, although he clearly looks way way older to be a NFL recruit (as a supposedly young individual during the first half of the movie). The rest of the cast hardly makes an impact and unfortunately the genius Dennis Quaid's entry in the movie is too late for him to make a mark.

Still Zachary holds the movie together with a decent effort and makes it worth a watch.

ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 20:56   #8448
Distinguished - BHPian

The Power of the Dog- Netflix

It’s not for nothing that the movie has bagged so many Oscar nominations this year. Outstanding cast, superlative acting and story that keeps you engaged. Benedict Cumberbatch is just brilliant in the movie and so are the other actors. Pace of the movie can be an issue but the story is what keeps it interesting. Highly recommended.

Rating: 4.5/5

Executive Decision- Netflix

This is an old favourite which has just resurfaced on Netflix. Kurt Russel and a young Halle Berry along with Tim Robbins carry the film about a plane hijacking. Brilliantly done considering I saw this film almost 15 years back and the movie still resonates. Eminently watchable and an edge of the seat movie. Recommended watch.

Rating: 4/5
ABHI_1512 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th February 2022, 21:19   #8449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
American Underdog: The Kurt Warner Story: 3.5 / 5
Just watched this. And yes it's a decent sports flick to pass the time. Shazam carries the movie well
Old 15th February 2022, 00:47   #8450
Senior - BHPian

The Age of Adaline 4/5

The romantic period-piece finds Adaline Bowman (Blake Lively), a woman who, following an accident, suddenly develops a rare condition of never aging. Years pass without a morsel of change in her facade until a handsome suitor arrives and throws a wrench in Adaline's isolated lifestyle.
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 11:25   #8451
Senior - BHPian

The Imitation Game: (Prime)

Had kept this pending for sometime now and finally decided to watch it yesterday. What a nice movie. Good acting, good script and a deep insight (not fully accurate apparently) into the mysterious code breakers of WW2.

4/5.
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 01:49   #8452
BHPian

Luce (2019)
4.5/5

It's on Netflix, but it'll be gone from Netflix on March 1 2022.

Can't think of anything else to say without revealing spoilers. Thoroughly enjoyable.
voldemort is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2022, 09:22   #8453
BANNED

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

"Syriana" starring George Clooney, Matt Damon was a movie I had watched in the good old DVD days. It was a rivetting movie (Clooney's best in my view) & I want to know if it has been released on the OTT channels. I cannot bfind the DVD now and would really like to see it again.
shashanka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2022, 10:49   #8454
Senior - BHPian

Snake eyes : G I Joe origins

I watched with great expectations as am big fan of the previous 2 GI Joe movies. All my expectations fell flat, no plot, no good acting, no fast paced action except for the last part of the film. The movie felt so slow. Humble suggestion to all - Do not think of watching this. The single rating is only for my loyalty to GI Joe franchise.

Rating: 1/5
Old 27th February 2022, 11:00   #8455
Distinguished - BHPian

King Richard : 3.5 / 5

There are names that we hear in the global sporting fraternity who have amazing origin stories that need to be told. Serena/Venus Williams are global icons that need no introduction. But how they reached there in an extremely competitive and financial resources dependent sport that generally caters to the elite/upper classes is a story that needs to be told. This is the true story of the sisters and the role played by their father in their initial growth.

Will Smith is absolutely fantastic in the role of the father of the girls, but after doing amazing movies like Pursuit of Happiness, one starts expecting the same brilliance in all his movies; and on that note he falters a bit. But still definitely worth a watch on whichever screen you are able to.

ninjatalli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 20:02   #8456
Distinguished - BHPian

No Time To Die is available on Amazon Prime now.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-screenshot_20220304200223.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th March 2022, 22:48   #8457
Distinguished - BHPian

The Batman - 5/5
Gritty, realistic and compelling storytelling. Good acting, Robert Pattinson really owns the role of caped crusader with some good support from all others. Background music that ties it all together. Definitely recommend watching it on the big screen.
procrj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 16:25   #8458
BHPian

Name:  images 14.jpeg
Views: 499
Size:  38.9 KB

The Batman : 5/5

Absolutely stunning movie
Out and out Batman show.

Raw, Gritty & Gripping. Even non superhero fans can enjoy it as an investigation thriller.

Even though 99% of the movie have night shots, never took the eyes off the screen. Realistic action is a plus.
BGM complements the theme amazingly well.

Movie showcases ' the world's best detective' side of Batman.

Robert Pattinson : absolutely amazing performance. Just hit all the critisism out of the park. As a young and uncertain Bruce Wayne and a still developing Batman. He just nailed the role.

Riddler : Great presence and character. Just like the Joker, a great villain.

Catwoman, Gorden and Albert all did their roles well.

Batmobile, though not extravagant, the chase scene was superb. Hope the batmobile will be developed further as the trilogy progresses.

Overall I felt (yes I'm going to say this) , best Batman movie till date. (Joker had more edge in The dark knight)

Last edited by Asish_VK : 5th March 2022 at 16:27.
Asish_VK is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 5th March 2022, 17:16   #8459
Senior - BHPian

Venom: Let there be Carnage

Streaming: Netflix

Not a big fan of this franchise as I thought the character was more gross, watched this movie. If one alien wasnt enough in 1st movie, there are two in this sequel. Tom Hardy as usual looks convincing, Woody Harelson looks odd. I found the movie absurd and laughable in some scenes. The camaraderie between Hardy and Venom is nothing great to write about. The end of the film shows the surety of a third installment of the comic series. One time watch.

Rating: 2.5/5
Old 6th March 2022, 11:47   #8460
BHPian

The SpaceWalk: 3.5/5
Streaming on AmazonPrime..

The movie takes us back to times of the race to space with the USA. Specifically the first spacewalk and the events around it.
The story line is engaging, excellent special effects, the scenes look natural. Excellent acting by the cast and a tribute to those fearless people who braved into the unknown. Almost deifies the first space walker - Leonov.
The space scenes are shot well, and is quite entertaining. They may have taken liberty with actual events - I'm no expert in that.

A rather well made movie, entertaining and shot well. The original seems to be in Russian and dubbed to English, on occasion, the lip sync (the lack of it) was rather prominent.

OT: Post the Russian invasion, it strikes me that there seems to be several movies (post 2016) around the USSR that celebrate their point of view and are entertaining as well.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-2022_03_06_11_36_05_window.png

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-2022_03_06_11_37_26_window.png
whitewing is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks