Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2022, 09:05   #8566
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

The Northman : 3.5 / 5

There are movies with good script, with good acting and so on. And then there are movies that need to be watched for the visuals. Denis Villeneuve movies (e.g. Dune, Blade Runner 2049) are known for their massive scale of visuals. The Northman is a movie that needs to be watched for the fantastic use of mono-color across scenes. Watch it on as biggest screen as you can get one - and preferably in a dark room setup & with surround sound system. You won't regret it.

Story wise, it's just old wine in a new bottle. The viking father gets killed, son runs away and comes back to take revenge. Nothing new there. But the visuals are to die for.

ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 09:42   #8567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The Northman is indeed a fantastic movie. The other two by Robert Eggers, The Witch and Lighthouse are very worthy movies too.
Fuldagap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 10:37   #8568
Distinguished - BHPian

Ray Liotta, the stylish actor who starred in Good Fellas and more recently in Marriage story has died. I have had fond memories of his films like Field of Dreams, Turbulence, Powder Blue and many more. It is said that he died in his sleep while shooting for his next film in Dominican Republic.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/26/enter...ead/index.html
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 13:08   #8569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Top Gun, Maverick - Certainly worth the watch.
Where did you watch this am1m?

Everyone: please post where you watched any particular movie. It would be so much easier for all of us. Thank you.

Cheers
Old 27th May 2022, 14:17   #8570
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
At an Inox theater in Goa. Even I was surprised when I saw it on bookmyshow, because I thought the movie was releasing today, but I guess they had some pre-release shows yesterday evening.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 15:30   #8571
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
At an Inox theater in Goa. Even I was surprised when I saw it on bookmyshow, because I thought the movie was releasing today, but I guess they had some pre-release shows yesterday evening.
Thursday night releases(pre-release) were pretty common. Have watched quite a few(Transformers,Harry Potter & Deathly hallows etc) back in the day when watching it first(Facebook check-in) was a thing
SoumenD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 17:14   #8572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

Everyone: please post where you watched any particular movie. It would be so much easier for all of us. Thank you.

Cheers
I had booked on bookmyshow a week back for yesterday (26th May) 10:45am show of Top Gun in Forum Shantiniketan IMAX. I was apprehensive whether the show will happen or not , but it did.
kap04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2022, 20:26   #8573
HTC
BANNED

Top Gun - Maveric.

Just came back watching the movie at Royal Meenakshi Mall, BG road, Bengaluru.

Felt movie was worth the money. As others have said, Tom has aged well. like a well preserved whisky to draw parallel. Nearing 60 yrs, still you can watch him full 2 hours without getting bored. He's got the charisma. And not to discount the fighter jets in background.

Me and my wife didnt get bored the entire time of the movie. I got emotional for couple of scenes. Wafer thin plot, go there to relive the nostalgia. Being a Kawa owner, loved seeing him ride the old Kawasaki.

Dont want to give out anymore info. If not related, you will not be disappointed watching thisnon BIG screen.

3.5/5 from me ( 4 is apt too).

Cheers
HTC
HTC is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 16:09   #8574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
The Northman : 3.5 / 5

There are movies with good script, with good acting and so on. And then there are movies that need to be watched for the visuals. Denis Villeneuve movies (e.g. Dune, Blade Runner 2049) are known for their massive scale of visuals. The Northman is a movie that needs to be watched for the fantastic use of mono-color across scenes. Watch it on as biggest screen as you can get one - and preferably in a dark room setup & with surround sound system. You won't regret it.

Story wise, it's just old wine in a new bottle. The viking father gets killed, son runs away and comes back to take revenge. Nothing new there. But the visuals are to die for.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=E7wNR9sHQ2g
Hey, where did you watch this, if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks.
Old 30th May 2022, 18:11   #8575
Senior - BHPian

Top Gun Maverick

There are movies you watch for fun and then there are movies which remain with you as an exhilarating experience. This is that Experience.

I saw Top Gun first time in 1990. I was 9 and this was my first English movie. I was blown away. Must have seen it endless times at that time. Even got the Aviator Ray-Ban cos I was so smitten by Maverick. So, no wonder since the day sequel was announced i was waiting for this. Too much nostalgia associated.

This surpasses the original in every way possible. The aerial shots are breathtaking, the infighting, the dogfight, the F-18's, the F14, the team he trains, the love story going on, the call backs to the original, the small cameo from his friend, the music score from the original. Everything was gelled so well together.

There is no doubt Tom Cruise is the biggest star in Hollywood. The amount of dedication and hard work he puts in to make every movie is absolutely amazing. Do watch the making on you tube to see how he does all the stunts himself. And he is 59, freakish.

This movie belongs to an IMAX viewing. Nothing else will do this justice. Nothing else.

I hope I can find time to go and watch this again otherwise will get the Blu ray as soon as it is out.

10/10 easily.

Last edited by harry10 : 30th May 2022 at 18:14.
harry10 is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 18:37   #8576
Senior - BHPian

Amul special doodle for the sequel to Top Gun, Top Gun: Maverick.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20220530_183603.jpg

Last edited by Venkatesh : 30th May 2022 at 18:41.
Venkatesh is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 18:44   #8577
BHPian

Top Gun: Maverick is THE best movie to watch for any automobile lover. The engine sound and the stunts are just mind-blowing. Didn't set too much of expectation and it turned out to be an excellent watch.

It was so good that we forgot the movie was 2 hours and we felt it ended much sooner. Such was the experience we had with this movie.

Once again, it is a must watch for all who loves things with wheels. Hearing engine sound in theatre is something that you wouldn't get anywhere else.

10/10 MUST watch movie.
xcentrk is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 22:51   #8578
Distinguished - BHPian

Okay I see many recommendations already for Top Gun- Maverick.

Just watched @PVR and yes, it’s a very good movie to watch. Was waiting for years for the Part-2. Tom Cruise is exceptional and viewers will not believe that he is almost 60! Coming to the movie, it’s well written and conceptualised. Breath taking shots of dog fights and the aircrafts to satisfy the viewers. Don’t know where the two hours vanished in a span of few minutes. The movie has lots of references to the first part, so I will recommend all to watch the first part before going in for this one; if they haven’t.

Rating it well deserved 4.5/5
saket77 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 17:13   #8579
BHPian

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

Watched it yesterday, and my honest opinion is, I should STOP relying on IMDB Ratings to decide to watch a movie
Don't know why it's rated so high (8.7) for an avg. movie, yes I agree stunts are good, background music is fine, but 8.7? No way
8.5+ is Inception, Matrix, Forrest Gump, Dark Knight, etc territory.

Actually, coming to think of it, part 1 itself is an average movie.
So, if you are planning to watch it based on the ratings, keep your expectations low.

Last edited by redCherry : 31st May 2022 at 17:15.
redCherry is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 19:07   #8580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redCherry View Post
Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

Actually, coming to think of it, part 1 itself is an average movie.
So, if you are planning to watch it based on the ratings, keep your expectations low.
Depends on what you expect from a movie. It's a movie about a Naval Aviator who is still overcoming his demons from his father's legacy. I thought it made for a pretty good movie. Not every plot needs to complicated in order to be good. And then those afterburners on the Tomcats can make you smell kerosene through the TV/movie screen.

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st June 2022 at 06:03. Reason: Removing spoilers.
fhdowntheline is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks