Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2022, 10:38   #8716
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Lightyear 2022 - Disney + Hotstar : 4/5

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-buzz.jpg

This is a spin off to toy story movies with Buzz Lightyear as the protagonist. Created by Pixar, and now streaming on Disney + Hotstar.

+ves
Great animation, very colorful and hyper realistic environment
Voice cast did a good job, especially Chris Evans
Good plot twists including some Sci-Fi / time breach elements
Great action sequences & Sound effects.

-ves
Movie loses its focus at parts, felt little too long at times
Reference to the toy story would have added a bit more interesting element to it
Few forced comedies did not work

Overall a fine movie to watch for animation movie fans & kids. Being hotstar, it available in multiple Indian languages too (helpful for small kids - I have observed my 2.5Yr old son was more focused when I played the movie in Malayalam)
Asish_VK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 14:20   #8717
BHPian

Spontaneous on Netflix

Please do not waste your time on this. Watched it at 1.5x. Still a waste.
NG_EV is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 13:32   #8718
Senior - BHPian

Prey

Awesome. Worthy of being a predator movie at last. Probably the best after the original Predator by Arnold. The cinematography is absolutely beautiful and few action set pieces are a delight to watch. Also loved the fact how they displayed the native culture without going overboard. Must watch.

Rating - 8/10
harry10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 14:46   #8719
BHPian

Was on a movie watching spree whole weekend. 3 English, 2 Hindi & 1 Malayalam movies.
Below are my experience with the English movies

1. DC: Leauge of the super pets - 3.5/5 (Playing in theaters now)

Name:  images 37.jpeg
Views: 422
Size:  38.2 KB

Being a DC fan boy from childhood, i was very excited to see this movie in theaters. Took wife and kids along and all of us enjoyed it. This have a great voice cast includes The Rock, Kevin hart, Keanu Reeves, John Krasinski etc. As usual the onliners between Rock & Kevin hart were hilarious.
Also the way the Batman was portrayed was funny.

Movie overall is not something great in terms of story or animation or wow factor. It's a fun watch with family.

2. PREY : Streaming in Hulu - 4/5

Name:  images 39.jpeg
Views: 427
Size:  30.4 KB

Finally something worthy in the Predator franchise. This movies actually deserved a theatrical release for sure. The movie is well made & well acted. The lead actress did a fantastic job. The movie can be considered prequel to the Predator. Instead of showing all the hitech capabilities of the Predator, the director/writer stuck to the basics and delivered a thoroughly enjoyable Predator movie.
This movie had the shades of "Alpha" at places.
The background score throughout was one thing I've enjoyed the most. Deserves a watch with some good sound system.

3.Harder they fall : Netflix - 3/5

Name:  images 38.jpeg
Views: 411
Size:  39.9 KB

Had high hopes on this western. But as the name, it a hard fall after initial buildup.
This is a fictional Black-Western crime movie. The movie is very stylishly done. The BGM & soundtrack is amazing. It was building up so nicely that i was expecting much more at the ending. Overal good timepass watch which could've been great if treated right.

I felt some Tarantino vibe to the making throughout the movie. So I was expecting similar climax, bit disappointed.
Asish_VK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 15:05   #8720
Senior - BHPian

Wedding Season - Netflix

Honestly it was one of those nights where I just picked something new to watch on Netflix and I was utterly delighted. A no nonsense American Desi RomCom. Yes the movie was predictable but the characters were all so present and vulnerable and watchable.

Rating 4/5

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 08:43   #8721
Distinguished - BHPian

Bullet Train- Starring Brad Pitt

Platform : Movie Theatre

This is a 2 hour of mindless action movie. But, it also has it's fun and comedy moments with plenty of gore also rolled into this roller coaster ride that is entirely shot on a fast moving bullet train traveling from Tokyo to Kyoto.

It's the story of retrieving a suitcase with $10 Million dollars which pits a bunch of assasins with different motives who board the train and try their luck at grabbing that suitcase.

Brad Pitt as a retired and brought back into an assignment assassin although looks little jaded is still fighting fit and great to watch on the big screen.

Movie is made like John Woo style movie with plenty of action and many of the action scenes will make the South Indian movie action sequences totally realistic.

It's worth a watch if you have nothing else to do.

2.5/5
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 10:10   #8722
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post

3.Harder they fall : Netflix - 3/5

Had high hopes on this western. But as the name, it a hard fall after initial buildup.
This is a fictional Black-Western crime movie. The movie is very stylishly done. The BGM & soundtrack is amazing. It was building up so nicely that i was expecting much more at the ending. Overal good timepass watch which could've been great if treated right.

I felt some Tarantino vibe to the making throughout the movie. So I was expecting similar climax, bit disappointed.
Yes, Even I had some level of expectation watching this movie. Have always been a sucker for a good western movie. But this was more style over substance but man oh man does Idris Elba look menacing in this

Other than that nothing worth remembering though.
Old 9th August 2022, 21:11   #8723
Team-BHP Support

Just wrapped up Thirteen Lives on Prime. Its a survival thriller about those 13 boys who got trapped inside the caves in Thailand for 18 days due to rain flooding and were rescued successfully.

Lovely thriller movie. The fact that all of those young boys survived the ordeal for over 10 days with no food and water gives me shivers! Oxygen levels decrease, they think of all the wild ideas, divers come from all over the world etc.

But holy shit, you won’t believe (unless you have read the news) how they were finally rescued! Don’t want to spoil it but it was a crazy idea.

Please do watch. If you like survival thrillers, you’ll love this.

4.5/5

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th August 2022 at 21:12.
Gannu_1 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 16:08   #8724
BHPian

I absolutely loved the Thirteen Lives movie. I'll give it 4.5/5.

Thank you so much, Gannu_1 sir.
Old 11th August 2022, 16:38   #8725
Distinguished - BHPian

Prey : 4 / 5

Movie sequels and prequels are common these days; heck, many production houses sense that as the most profitable area to focus on. But for every successful sequel/prequel movie, there are countless failed ones that turn out a dud at the box office.

The original Predator (with Arnie) is an age old classic that is worth a watch even today. And none of the sequels come anywhere close to it.

But Prey does change that narrative. Based on a setup back in the 18th century, it goes into the tangent how/what would have happened if the alien encountered humans in that age. And does it fantastically without losing the narrative of that age. The cast is relatively unknown, even the alien predator looks a bit different from the ones in the latter movies. Overall a fantastic watch, definitely one to be seen on the big screen if possible.

ninjatalli is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 17:10   #8726
Senior - BHPian

Watched Shyamalan's 2021 movie OLD on Prime.

The initial 40-50 mins is pretty nice but post that it just tends to loose steam. Ending stitches it back together a fair bit but by then you would have lost interest. Not one of the best from Mr. Shyamalan. Oh btw he himself is seen in the movie

Rating : 2/5

SoumenD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 22:30   #8727
Senior - BHPian

The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11291274/

Star attraction is Nicolas Cage and his chemistry with Pedro Pascal. He plays himself in the film, a yesteryear star that cannot find attractive roles anymore! The presence of these 2 massively talented actors is enough of an excuse itself to watch this film, but let give you another! In this film, I came across this absolutely fabulous song, and have been binge listening this ever since!

Really really loved this film. Its for old romantics. Watch it if you are one!

Available on lionsgate (on Prime)

Gets a 4.5/5 for me.
joslicx is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 16:45   #8728
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Just wrapped up Thirteen Lives on Prime. Its a survival thriller about those 13 boys who got trapped inside the caves in Thailand for 18 days due to rain flooding and were rescued successfully.

4.5/5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjayW View Post
I absolutely loved the Thirteen Lives movie. I'll give it 4.5/5.

Thank you so much, Gannu_1 sir.
Agree with this! I saw the movie today on Amazon Prime and it was incredible! Amazing story, crisp screenplay and nice acting. The method which was used to rescue was unbelievable. This movie is a must watch!

I noticed that this movie was directed by Ron Howard, the same person who directed 'Rush' (movie about the fierce rivalry in F1 between Niki Lauda and James Hunt) which is also a must watch!

Last edited by Saanil : 13th August 2022 at 16:46.
Saanil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 18:07   #8729
Senior - BHPian

Thirteen Lives

With an increasing number of movies getting made based on real life stories, I am finding it difficult to enjoy even the best of adaptations. I should perhaps stop reading newspapers with interest. Knowing the ending kind of spoils the happenings altogether.

That said, I was hoping for a cameo from Elon Musk. That would have helped establish his human credentials (To err is human!).

On a sombre note, this is a well made movie. I watched it in Thai, with English subtitles and liked it. The acting is good and the recreation of events realistic. If I have to find some beef with it, it would be that the length could have been cut a bit.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2022, 15:09   #8730
BHPian

Movie: American Made
Cast: Tom Cruise
Platform: Amazon Prime

Good watch. It's about the drug cartel in south America and smuggling ops caught by CIA by running the biggest covert operation ever.

Rating: 3.5/5
ToThePoint is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks