Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2022, 20:35   #8731
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Just wrapped up Thirteen Lives on Prime. Its a survival thriller about those 13 boys who got trapped inside the caves in Thailand for 18 days due to rain flooding and were rescued successfully.

Please do watch. If you like survival thrillers, you’ll love this.
Awesome movie. Would rate 4.5/5
Old 19th August 2022, 17:47   #8732
Distinguished - BHPian

Top Gun: Maverick

Much has already been said about this fun little throwback to the iconic 80s fan-favourite already, hence I will sum it up in just one line - if you are a die-hard fan of the original, you can't afford to miss this gem.

A masterclass on how to make a proper, equally compelling, fun-filled sequel.

RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 18:47   #8733
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Top Gun: Maverick

I so much wanted to watch this movie in theater but couldn't. Where did you watch it?

I'll be watching it on Book My Show Stream [https://in.bookmyshow.com/national-c...ish/ET00076943 ]. It'll start streaming from 24th August.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_20220819_184621.jpg

Last edited by BoneCollector : 19th August 2022 at 18:50.
BoneCollector is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 18:59   #8734
BHPian

Movie: The Courier
Platform: Amazon Prime

Movie about how a US spy steals classified information from Russia to successfully avert the Cuban Missile Crisis. Supposedly the most successful spy US ever hired in history.

Would rate 4/5

PS: there is another movie by same name on prime, but that's about a parcel courier who finds a explosive in the package to be delivered.
ToThePoint is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 10:56   #8735
BHPian

Movie: 13 Lives
Platform: Amazon Prime Video

My rating 4.5/5

It's a true life story about the rescue mission that's set in the caves of Thailand. The movie seems longish at 2.5 hours but one doesn't feel it once the story unravels. What I really like about Hollywood movies is that they pick up the story right from the first frame and don't waste time on an intro song, intro to the hero/heroine, etc. This is yet another Ron Howard classic, it takes the story to the next level every time a rescue is attempted. The viewer is drawn to the edge of the seat when the final rescue begins and feels invested personally in the entire effort.

Bollywood can learn a thing or two about movie making with a simple, yet gripping storyline without much "masala elements".
vsathyap is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 17:06   #8736
Senior - BHPian

Recently watched the Father of the Bride (2022 edition) on Prime which stars Andy Garcia and Gloria Estefan as the parents of a bride to be. It is an interesting watch compared to the earlier Steve Martin starrer because that was more about the comedic situations, and this one was more about cultural misgivings. Its not a movie that will vow you, but the tilt towards portraying present day America through the eyes of immigrants is the moot point - in this case, Cuban or Mexican, depending on which side you are-bride or groom. Watch it for the simple reason that some of the emotions will echo in the Indian minds. You can also draw parallels to My Big Fat Greek Wedding, but this one is a bit more nuanced.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 21st August 2022 at 17:12.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 09:06   #8737
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post

I'll be watching it on Book My Show Stream
Change of plans. Will be watching on Amazon Prime now.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-img_20220822_090538.jpg
BoneCollector is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 10:22   #8738
Senior - BHPian

13 Lives:

Adding onto the favourable reviews here, It was indeed a good movie and was engrossing throughout.

Would easily rate it 3.5/5. The Thai team did a great job but somehow felt Viggo was a bit disinterested in the movie.
Old 22nd August 2022, 13:00   #8739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Deep Water

Streaming: Prime

One word - Skip it. Not worth at all. Dont understand why actors like Ben Affleck and Ana da Armas select such movies, kind of makes me loose faith in them. No Plot in the movie.

Rating: 0/5
Wish I had searched this thread before watching this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys,

'The Founder' is in theatres - don't miss! Based on the exceptional man behind McDonalds. Has positive reviews too.
And now it’s on Prime. Very well made, and fast paced. I was aware of their franchisee model and how they are into real estate, not burgers, but my wife wasn’t. She liked the movie but hated Kroc for not being fair to the actual “Founders”. I am not too sure. Feel a bit conflicted. McD probably wouldn’t be what it is today, if it wasn’t for Kroc. Who can tell!
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 05:45   #8740
Senior - BHPian

Watched "The Lost City" starring Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe and Brad Pitt. Pretty strong cast but otherwise forgettable movie. There are a few funny bits strewn here and there but overall nothing great. The name of the movie should tell you what to expect. I am big fan of treasure hunt sort movies and this should rank lowly.

But what I found rather intriguing was the use of a rather obscure Indian made vehicle in the movie. A Bajaj Qute :O I have never seen it ever in real life. This is the only time I saw it moving and that happens to be in a Hollywood movie!

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-qute.jpg
amol4184 is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 23:15   #8741
BHPian

Watched Go Karts on Netflix and boy oh boy, I bet a lot of people here will relate to it on several levels for sure!

It is a typical underdog story about a wannabe Go Kart Racer and had a blast watching it! The main lead looks like a young Max Verstappen and sounds like a young Danny Ricciardo - the best combo ever!

Don't want to reveal more, other than watch the trailer if you still arent convinced and don't miss it!

Last edited by PGNarain : 25th August 2022 at 23:16.
PGNarain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 18:32   #8742
Distinguished - BHPian

Elvis: 3.5 / 5

Elvis Presley is a household name across countries. We might not be aware of his hit songs but the name is as familiar as any famous artist in the world. Here's a biography on the singer from his grassroots level beginning to how he went from strength to strength through the 50s to 70s and finally heading towards his downfall in the end.

Also explains why there is so much of 'Elvis'/'King's presence in Las Vegas as well as popular phrases like "Elvis has left the building". The lead actor has done a great job; so much so that the usually perfect Tom Hanks feels like an extra throughout the movie. Definitely worth a watch.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 26th August 2022 at 18:38.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 16:19   #8743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
Watched "The Lost City" starring Sandra Bullock, Channing Tatum, Daniel Radcliffe and Brad Pitt. Pretty strong cast but otherwise forgettable movie. There are a few funny bits strewn here and there but overall nothing great. The name of the movie should tell you what to expect. I am big fan of treasure hunt sort movies and this should rank lowly.
+100.

The movie sucks big time, even I fell for the treasure hunt plot but it turned too lame. Sandra Bullock is ageing and it clearly shows over the layers of makeup. Daniel Radcliffe is wasted. Less written about Tatum Channing the better. Avoid avoid avoid in all ways possible.

Rating: 0.5/5
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 16:32   #8744
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I so much wanted to watch this movie in theater but couldn't. Where did you watch it?
At the local theater in my T-3 city. They had a last few shows lined up so caught one. This film is made for the big screen (or IMAX theaters), with excellent sound effects complimenting the jet sequences. Watching it on any small(er) screens is an injustice to it, IMO.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 16:57   #8745
Senior - BHPian

Saw 2 movies over the weekend and both turned out to be total duds. Both streaming on Amazon Prime

Dog

A tale about man dog bonding on a road trip gone horribly wrong as nothing in the movie brings put those moments. Channing Tatum fails again here. The movie was supposed to be heart warming & emotional but me nor my family actually felt anything of that. I am a dog lover myself but could not connect with the film. Maybe i missed the plot

Rating: 2/5

Samaritan

Watched this one with a hole that something must have left of Sly Stallone but he seems to get worse with every movie selection. The movie has not story at all. It really pained to see the Stallone ageing ungracefully.
Avoid at all costs

Rating: 1/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks