Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2023, 08:22   #8881
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Worth
4/5
Netflix

True story of Kenneth Feinberg who volunteers to be tasked the thankless job of leading the compensation fund for 9/11 victims. That basically had to decide the "worth" of each life lost. Alongside that, it also brings out the politics that happened to ensure that the airlines did not get sued.
Great acting by Michael Keaton.

Name:  Worth_film.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  99.2 KB
whitewing is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st January 2023, 10:22   #8882
Senior - BHPian

Being a fan of the original Avatar movie, and having watched it so many times, I felt really disappointed with the sequel.
The biggest problem is the storyline.. honestly, there is no plot or storyline.
And, therefore, the 3+ hour duration and mindless excessive repeated action sequences become unbearable after a point. The climax action scene is stretched beyond limits, and all of us were looking at our watches and wondering when it will end.
The only time the movie really felt good is when the characters migrate to the water and their life and ways in the water, where each frame felt like a visual treat. I wish there was more about the same and less about the mindless action (this coming from someone who loves action movies).
Would rate it 2/5, (+1 for the excellent visuals)

I couldn't think that James Cameron can make such a poor sequel of Avatar, but sadly that has happened. And this also means I have no interest in the next sequels, whenever they come. :(
adimicra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 12:28   #8883
Senior - BHPian

Wargames (1983)

imdb link: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086567/
imdb rating: 7.1/10 with more than 1lakh votes
imdb summary: "A young man finds a back door into a military central computer in which reality is confused with game-playing, possibly starting World War III."

Heard about this movie recently and decided to give it a go. It did not disappoint. Though I felt that the background music was a bit over dramatic and loud, the movie was worth a watch just to see how far we have come in terms of computers. It was a joy to see floppy discs being used and non gui interfaces, dot matrix printers etc etc.

3.75/5

Next on the list is The Breakfast Club.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 10:03   #8884

I felt the same. They could have cut many seancs to make it move faster. At many places I felt like I'm watching a video game.
Old 5th January 2023, 11:35   #8885
BHPian

For all the brickbats on story and plotline, Avatar 2 might cross $2 billion by Jan end (having already crossed $1.5billion) in the US alone.

Globally: The movie has crossed $4.9 billion worldwide. Happy numbers for James Cameron.

At this rate we might even have Avatar 8,9,10 (with plans till 7 already on paper and portion of Avatar 4 already shot)

Phew!
Old 5th January 2023, 13:41   #8886
avk
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
For all the brickbats on story and plotline, Avatar 2 might cross $2 billion by Jan end (having already crossed $1.5billion) in the US alone.

Globally: The movie has crossed $4.9 billion worldwide.
Worldwide collections as on yesterday is 1.5 bn usd with 0.5 bn usd coming from US market.
avk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 13:53   #8887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Worldwide collections as on yesterday is 1.5 bn usd with 0.5 bn usd coming from US market.
+1 to this

That's why we always recommend giving the source links when quoting off the net. Seems like @valarMorghulis just (mis)quoted Disney Studio revenue numbers as Avatar 2 revenue numbers.

Quote:
Globally: The movie has crossed $4.9 billion worldwide. Happy numbers for James Cameron.
-----

Quote:
Disney, box office leader thanks to Avatar 2
Walt Disney as the No. 1 studio in annual box office (2022) for the seventh consecutive year. Disney earned $4.9 billion in grosses in 2022, of which $2 billion was from the domestic box office and the rest international.

Disney had a strong year-end boost following the release of Avatar: The Way of Water, which surpassed $1 billion in two weeks. These numbers were achieved by Disney with 16 theatrical releases throughout the year.
source: 1

---------------------

Question to the masses: would you guys recommend paying the premium and watching this movie in IMAX 3D or the 'normal' 3D format would suffice? Planning to give it a watch over this weekend at Inox Lido mall.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 5th January 2023 at 14:02.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 13:53   #8888
BHPian

Quote:

At this rate we might even have Avatar 8,9,10 (with plans till 7 already on paper and portion of Avatar 4 already shot)

Phew!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
+1 to this

That's why we always recommend giving the source links when quoting off the net. Seems like @valarMorghulis just (mis)quoted Disney Studio revenue numbers as Avatar 2 revenue numbers.
My bad.
The $4.9 billion is for the entire Avatar Franchise.
But yes, the movie is set to cross $2billion (worldwide) by Jan end. Link.

James Cameron has already laid out plans till Avatar 7 by the way.

Last edited by ValarMorghulis : 5th January 2023 at 13:54.
Old 5th January 2023, 16:47   #8889
BHPian

THE MENU on Hotstar
Engaging, watchable satire cum thriller about some elite guests travelling to an exclusive restaurant on a private island. This recently added movie on Disney Hotstar has lower ratings on Google than what it should actually have IMO. The culinary component present makes it one of those rare tense films where you reach out for some food in the kitchen or order something on Zomato/Swiggy while the suspense unfolds on screen. I was expecting it to be another one of those shady island stuff movies we have seen but this one will surprise you. Many of the unpredictable and absurdly humorous scenes keep you guessing as to why this is happening. Character developments and motives are not the strongest points of the film and a few things were still unclear to me about it which I am not mentioning here to keep this spoiler-free. I strongly feel that most viewers will either love it or hate it, nothing in between, but this movie won't bore you for sure. If you plan to watch this, do it without reading the reviews online.

Last edited by AnnaRocks : 5th January 2023 at 17:02.
AnnaRocks is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2023, 23:55   #8890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaRocks View Post
THE MENU on Hotstar
Just popped in here to suggest "The Menu" as well. Such a fresh idea and so original. Thoroughly enjoyed watching it till the end. If it had a little less gore elements could have made my wife to watch too. Might still make her watch it :P

4/5, must watch for the year.
TheRandomGuy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 07:42   #8891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Question to the masses: would you guys recommend paying the premium and watching this movie in IMAX 3D or the 'normal' 3D format would suffice? Planning to give it a watch over this weekend at Inox Lido mall.
To be honest, i saw it in normal 3D at PVR and it was just fine. Everything apart from visuals in the movie was downright average or even awful, I’m talking about the screenplay, Dialogues and narration.
I wouldn’t really spend 3x on imax 3D for this movie, at least thats my personal view.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 16:55   #8892

John Wick Chapter 4, really loved their choice of song - westlife - seasons in the sun.

Ashutosh_kumar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 17:18   #8893
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh_kumar View Post
John Wick Chapter 4, really loved their choice of song - westlife - seasons in the sun.
Sounds like it's from the original version in the trailer:

Terry Jacks was the singer.
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2023, 23:26   #8894
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's my review of White Noise available on Netflix worldwide.

This is a weird, funny and philosophical sort of movie that I usually love. And I ended up loving it, true to my formula.

The movie somehow manages to bring in a 'Stranger Things' feel amid an unexpectedly developing 'Final Destination' theme.

And here's where you get to see present-day Andre 3000 on screen, after he took a hiatus from being a Hip-hop God!

The movie has a 5/5 from me.
locusjag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 13:57   #8895
BHPian

Quote:
IMAX anyday. There is nothing much in the movie other than the visual spectacle. So I will recommend you to watch in the best theater available.

Most Viewed