Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2022, 20:44   #8851
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Happened to watch this gem of a film from Martin Mcdonagh, the same person who directed In Bruges.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1181321.../?ref_=tt_ov_i

Do watch if you get a chance, very different kind of film.
krinpit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 15:45   #8852
Senior - BHPian

Quite possibly the worst movie I have seen in recent times. I mean, why did James Cameroon wait for 12 years to make this? Its almost the same as the 1st part, whether in terms of Premise, quality of graphics, original background score and what not! And the most annoying part was the dialogues, the supposedly native people of Pandora suddenly start speaking like millennials and then constantly keep using terms that get used by the typical U.S soldiers ( or at least how it’s portrayed on some movies )

To be honest, I’m not a fan of such movies and I didn’t really like Avatar when it released way back in 2008 or 2009, but it had some novelty back then and it wasn’t a bad watch at that point of time. But if the makers decided to release a second part 12 years later it should have been a worthy sequel!

My 10 year old son kept asking me about the timing of intermission and even the ending of the movie!

Anyway, this is one of those mindless global blockbusters. In fact all shows in Phoenix mall and VR mall adjacent to it ( Bangalore) were completely sold out, leading to parking issues and traffic chaos.

To make it worse, we had to see trailers of few other mindless upcoming flicks like Antman and the guardians of the galaxy etc! How long would Hollywood keep rehashing their own stuff?

I’m glad i didn't waste money on Imax or 4DX etc for this movie. Watch it with your families since this is probably the holiday movie of December, but just keep your expectations really low.

Sorry if I offended any Avatar fans ( would be really surprised if there were any after watching this movie though)!

Last edited by motorworks : 17th December 2022 at 15:47.
motorworks is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 12:09   #8853
BHPian

Name:  images 2.jpeg
Views: 375
Size:  43.9 KB

Saw this movie yesterday in 3D with wife and 2 kids. All of us enjoyed and felt it's a really nice movie. Never got bored or disappointed. Please do watch in a Big screen with good sound effects, preferably IMAX.

However I have some observations to share.

+ Stunning visuals, the water world is too good
+ Great 3D effects, Lately many movies had 3D just for the namesake. Avatar have genuenly good 3D.
+ Superb animation
+ Good combat scenes

- Movie lacks the wow factor/ novelty of the first Avatar
- Little too long
- Shallow charecter depths, unable to connect emotionally. Few charecters are not convincing/ unable to understand fully.
- Story is not a strong point for this movie

Wrong Turn : Foundation - 3/5 - Prime Video

Name:  download.jpeg
Views: 367
Size:  8.6 KB

I was never a fan of wrong turn franchise. Likes the first one but after that, it was complete pointless mindless movie series. Saw good views online for this particular one and thought I will give it a try. It was better than i have expected.
Performances were just ok, it was grippy for most of the parts and had a better story compared to other movies in the franchise. And not too much gore
Asish_VK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th December 2022, 01:05   #8854
BHPian

Every frame is so damn stunning and technically perfect, that one cannot find a single fault in any of the frames of the 3+ hours movie.

That said; the movie was drab, obtuse, documental and a bloated sequel of the original. And less said about the characterisation, screen-play and the music score!

While I loved Avatar, I absolutely despised watching 'The Way of Water' and wanted to walk out after the first 30 min; only to be held back by the company I had. And the damn PVR in Vega City Bangalore, had too many mosquitoes and poor thermostat making it the worst movie experience (ever).
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 13:04   #8855
BHPian

People and studios do all kind of CGI to make it grand and PR to promote their movies, but this guy takes it to all new level every time just on his own. Watch this behind the scenes till the end.

varunswnt is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 20th December 2022, 15:25   #8856
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
People and studios do all kind of CGI to make it grand and PR to promote their movies, but this guy takes it to all new level every time just on his own.
Some people climb mount Everest. This fellow makes movies, just for the adventure I think. The movie itself is a side effect.
Samurai is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 17:55   #8857
Senior - BHPian

Hollywood blockbuster makes waves!

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-20221221_175443.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2022, 19:40   #8858
BHPian

Quote:
People and studios do all kind of CGI to make it grand and PR to promote their movies, but this guy takes it to all new level every time just on his own.
The technology involved is amazing. The simulations involved is no less than it is in wind tunnel experiments. The dedication of the entire crew for "just" one jump is mind numbing. Thanks for sharing this.
AltoLXI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 11:11   #8859
BHPian

Quote:
People and studios do all kind of CGI to make it grand and PR to promote their movies, but this guy takes it to all new level every time just on his own. Watch this behind the scenes till the end.

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One | Tom Cruise | The Biggest Stunt in Cinema History
Tom Cruise is an absolute adrenaline junkie. What a legend!. This making video was more thrilling than many of the action movies out there
Asish_VK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 17:41   #8860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
...the worst movie I have seen in recent times. ....
..kept asking me about the timing of intermission and even the ending of the movie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
... drab, obtuse, documental and a bloated sequel of the original. ...
Only wish I had read these reviews before watching it today.
It was a yawn-fest and a never ending wait just for the interval to come, agonizingly long movie and I have a headache now.
Rating: 1/5

Last edited by for_cars1 : 22nd December 2022 at 17:44.
for_cars1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 18:40   #8861
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Mission: Impossible - Dead Reckoning Part One | Tom Cruise | The Biggest Stunt in Cinema History
I saw this video when it came out. Not surprised at all. Tom Cruise is truly the Last Action hero and Showman we have. Only other person who had such dedication doing his own death defying stunts is Jackie Chan. Whenever Tom decides to hang his boots for doing action movies will be a huge loss for us fans. I dare say but MI franchise is much better than James bond franchise.

Looking at the Avatar reviews I am perplexed what to do. Should I go to Imax or just watch it nearby PVR or just skip it all together and watch it on OTT when it comes. If I didn't like it then it will be a big 3 long hours.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 19:08   #8862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Looking at the Avatar reviews I am perplexed what to do. Should I go to Imax or just watch it nearby PVR or just skip it all together and watch it on OTT when it comes. If I didn't like it then it will be a big 3 long hours.
All reviews say one thing - the CGI experience is great. Watch it in the big screen if you have company who would enjoy the experience (my wife loves it and has asked me to take her to the theatre). That way atleast someone gets to enjoy the movie (I was bored in the Black Panther movie, she wasn't ).
Old 23rd December 2022, 18:27   #8863
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And now he thanks us all for watching Top Gun Maverick, in his own inimitable style.

Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 18:33   #8864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Watching the behind the scenes videos of 'Top Gun Maverick' was mind blowing. While I knew Cruise does all his stunts, the BTS videos made me realize how much effort he has put in with his co-stars in the film. Cannot get tired of watching Top Gun Maverick especially with the realization that it is all mostly real.

Eagerly waiting for MI- Dead Reckoning.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 19:31   #8865
One
BHPian

Quote:

If Tom Cruise was an F1 driver, he would be Mick Schumacher.

If Mick Schumacher was an actor, he would be Tom Cruise.

Both tread the line too close, one may not agree with the means, but what a spectacle...
One is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks