Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2022, 18:38   #8746
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Top Gun: Maverick:

A movie that followed what was one of my favourite movies was everything i had hoped for and more. I did my best and avoided spoilers and trailers so it was all very fresh and wow, what a ride it was!

Full deserves the high rating it has and my only regret is not having watched it on the big screen.

And i am nitpicking here, a ballad at the end was a poor replacement for cheap trick's mighty wings in the first movie.

4.5/5 for me!
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 20:23   #8747
BHPian

Breaking Away a 1979 movie on Hotstar premium, unearthed one more hidden gem. Quite a nice feel good movie, Dennis Quaid in his younger days is brilliant.
csnanjappa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 09:35   #8748
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Elvis: 3.5 / 5

Elvis Presley is a household name across countries. We might not be aware of his hit songs but the name is as familiar as any famous artist in the world. Here's a biography on the singer from his grassroots level beginning to how he went from strength to strength through the 50s to 70s and finally heading towards his downfall in the end.

Definitely worth a watch.
Ninjatalli, thanks a ton for your review . Started watching it yesterday on Prime and absolutely loving it. Am a big fan of music as well as biopics, so this flick caught my attention. He has really, really acted well and I appreciate how the story is maintained over the entire 2 hours 40 minutes!

Giving it 4 / 5 stars.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st September 2022, 09:49   #8749
BHPian

Thanks for surfacing the existence of this movie on Elvis. Added to my list.

This was a popular crowd gatherer song at full blast during hostel days.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 1st September 2022 at 09:52.
Old 2nd September 2022, 13:24   #8750
BHPian

Sexy Beast (2001) - Ben Kingsley in a memorable role as a mobster. A classic British crime drama with dark humor.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-p29718_p_v8_ab.jpg

I streamed it through some unstable links but was able to watch it fully.

Last edited by srini1785 : 2nd September 2022 at 13:27.
srini1785 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2022, 18:47   #8751
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
Breaking Away a 1979 movie on Hotstar premium, unearthed one more hidden gem. Quite a nice feel good movie, Dennis Quaid in his younger days is brilliant.
Thanks for the recommendation. Watched it now. Looked like what "Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar" took inspiration from. Many similarities in the story-line.
catchjyoti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2022, 20:09   #8752
Team-BHP Support

Like most people here, my recent theatre watched movie is Top Gun Maverick. The one before that was Ford vs Ferrari in 2019.

I was wondering why plenty of movies these days are not worth dragging myself to theatre. Here is a lady who explains one of the reasons.

Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 11:17   #8753
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if this late-review is going to help anyone; I fear this one might have been taken down from Netflix/Prime now (or wherever I watched in couple of months ago).

Buster's mal heart
Where to watch: Sorry, can't remember if it was Netflix or Amazon Prime, in India
Notable cast: Rami Malek, DJ Qualls
Why to watch: Imagine a story that makes you feel amused, extremely sad and confused at the same time. That's how this one is; you have Rami Malek's central character ambling about in ways that can only amuse you. You have intermittent flashbacks thrown in as well. And with certain sci fi elements thrown in with no warning, you find yourself questioning the limits of credibility and ultimately comprehending the storyline and see it for what it is - a hidden gem of a movie.
Movies from comparable genres: The man from earth, Any Coen Brothers movie etc.
Old 12th September 2022, 11:38   #8754
Senior - BHPian

Beast (2022):

Skip it and watch The Ghost and The Darkness instead

Just a whole lot of "why you doing that" hand pointing at the TV

2.5/5
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 14:00   #8755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Top Gun: Maverick
Full deserves the high rating it has and my only regret is not having watched it on the big screen.
I watched it on big screen, courtesy of my cousin and it was a thrilling experience. Although I knew about the old Top Gun, I had not watched the whole movie just bits and pieces on cable TV when I was a kid. I don't even know the original story but none of it mattered when I saw this movie. I heard that Tom Cruise prepared himself and other actors a lot for this movie especially the scenes where they are actually inside cockpit and flown by real pilots! Only Tom can do something like that! Somehow forgot posting the review here, definitely worth 4.5 stars.
CarNerd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 14:34   #8756
Senior - BHPian

Kicking myself for not watching Top Gun Maverick on the big screen.
I watched the original and the new back to back this weekend. While the original was a decent watch, the 2022 version is a masterpiece.

The movie never deviates from the main narrative, and keeps you glued to the screen, not a single dull moment. The performance by everyone including the supporting cast is fantastic. Loved it

Tom Cruise keeps on getting better and better with age like a fine wine, and delivering the biggest hits of his career at this age. Amazing.

Rating - 9/10
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 17:28   #8757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Everything Everywhere All at once 5/5

Attachment 2314706

Just one word ! Fabulous. It's genuinely hilarious, absolutely mind boggling, chaotic but simple. Goes up to my all time favorite top 10 movies.

I don't know if it is being streamed in any of the platforms now & how can anyone watch it. *ahem Telegram* !

It have a mix match of genres such as Sci-fi, action, comedy, drama, fantasy, martial arts & black comedy to name a few

This is a must watch movie for all, original idea, spectacular visuals, superb performances, great action, lot of laugh & though provoking at times.

Michelle Yeoh's performance was spectacular & well supported by other actors.

The concept of multiverse explained that everyone will understand. A future cult classic for sure

This movie seems to be released theatrically in India. Atleast I can see in Hydrabad - Bookmyshow. Watch it if possible. Worth the time & money
Old 16th September 2022, 17:51   #8758
BHPian

The Grand Seduction (Prime) -This one is a feel good film, where a doctor needs to be brought to a remote village in Newfoundland for a new company to set up a plant. Don't want to give away too much, but 7.5/10 film, just feel good. There is a little bit of cricket in Canada too.

The Wizard of Lies(Hotstar) - Although heard Bernie Madoff scandal, this one tells the volume of scandal but felt little insufficient the way the film captured the actual scandal, Maybe 3.5/5

Equalizer 1 and 2 (Netflix) - Typical Denzel Washington revenge film, 1 is fast and 2 is slow, but both are not bad to watch.
csnanjappa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th September 2022, 18:16   #8759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csnanjappa View Post
The Grand Seduction (Prime) -This one is a feel good film, where a doctor needs to be brought to a remote village in Newfoundland for a new company to set up a plant. Don't want to give away too much, but 7.5/10 film, just feel good. There is a little bit of cricket in Canada too.

The Wizard of Lies(Hotstar) - Although heard Bernie Madoff scandal, this one tells the volume of scandal but felt little insufficient the way the film captured the actual scandal, Maybe 3.5/5
Just curious, why would you rate one piece on a scale of ten and the other on five?

Nothing wrong in it; I am just curious.
Old 19th September 2022, 10:38   #8760
Distinguished - BHPian

Everything everywhere all at once.

Going by the good reviews, went out of my way to watch this film. Didn't think it was worth it. It's certainly an interesting take and good performances all around, but tries too hard to do too much. Gets draggy in between and the humor became too juvenile in parts. Could have skipped this one.
am1m is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks