Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2019, 19:36   #7246
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Spider Man - Into the Spider-verse - 4.5/5

Great storytelling, spectacular colors and some neat character building goes a long way in making this one of the most entertaining animated films that I have watched in a long time. Deserving winner of this year's academy award for animated film.
Old 4th March 2019, 19:37   #7247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Spider Man - Into the Spider-verse - 4.5/5

Great storytelling, spectacular colors and some neat character building goes a long way in making this one of the most entertaining animated films that I have watched in a long time. Deserving winner of this year's academy award for animated film.
+1 and a brilliant soundtrack. One of the best animated movies I have seen in a while.
Old 10th March 2019, 11:29   #7248
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Giving a full 5 / 5 stars to Miss Sloane . It's currently playing on the & Prive channel .

Watch it if you love drama + politics. It's all about an exceptionally talented lobbyist and the gun industry. Jessica Chastain's performance is far out!

Old 10th March 2019, 13:22   #7249
Distinguished - BHPian

Isoroku Yamamoto the Commander-in-Chief of the Combined Fleet : 4.5 / 5

This incredible account (almost a documentary) of Yamamoto, the chief commander of the Japanese Navy fleet, details the situation of Japan from the years just before WW2 breaks out to the time before, during and after the Pearl Harbour attacks and later once the US declares war on US.

Even after so many movies and documentaries on Pearl Habour and WW2; some of the internal dynamics of the different Allied and Axis countries is not yet clear to one and all. This movie tries to explain the dynamics within the Japanese empire - how the Navy tried to delay getting involved in WW2 for a long time, the flawed view of the Japanese public about their invincibility; the primary aim to rule the resources-rich Asian continent; and in all, the strategical and logical thinking of their commander-in-chief who's attempts go in vain.

WW2 fans, give it a watch. This is a movie worth it's salt; I'd rate it much above the numerous American WW2 war movies.
Old 10th March 2019, 23:40   #7250
BHPian

A werewolf Boy (2012) Rating 4/5

A very emotional movie with a sad ending.

These korean guys know how to make good emotional movies which leave a mark even after the movie is over. I watched the movie expecting it to be another werewolf saga like twilight but it turned out to be totally different.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2315152/

Last edited by snaseer : 10th March 2019 at 23:43.
Old 11th March 2019, 07:24   #7251
Senior - BHPian

Captain Marvel.

Regular superhero fare. Nothing special. Doesn't try to be anything different as well. Felt more like a filler movie just to introduce the character. Does not have much in stake except to tell us who captain Marvel is and what to expect of her in End Game.

Did they end up making her a bit too overpowered?
Old 11th March 2019, 10:34   #7252
Team-BHP Support

Given the hype around Badla and repeated mentions of the original, watched it last night.

The Invisible Guest, is on Netfix with Spanish audio. A good watch, it has all the makings of a typical drama/thriller. No over-the-top goriness or dramatic soundtrack. I wish the audio was in English though; I tend to not be able to focus on the movie if I've to continuously look at the bottom for subtitles.

4/5
Old 11th March 2019, 10:42   #7253
Distinguished - BHPian

Captain Marvel : 3 / 5

Honestly, I enjoyed it. Yes, it's just another introductory movie; to bring in the character of Captain Marvel, and to some extent, Nicholas Joseph Fury too! But Marvel made sure they didn't leave any loopholes and covered their bases, considering this was a prequel to the entire Avenger series and the references had to match what's been shown on the previous movies.

One can ignore this and directly wait for the EndGame movie; however, why give it a miss? Go for the cheaper (non-IMAX, non-3D) shows if you have the option.
Old 13th March 2019, 16:20   #7254
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Want to chill with a good movie based on a real story?

All the money in the world = 4/5 stars. I saw it on "Google Play" movies, checked the IMDB + Rotten Tomatoes ratings and ordered it right away. Nice one about the kidnapping of the grandson of an eccentric oil magnate.

Old 13th March 2019, 17:53   #7255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Want to chill with a good movie based on a real story?

All the money in the world = 4/5 stars. I saw it on "Google Play" movies, checked the IMDB + Rotten Tomatoes ratings and ordered it right away. Nice one about the kidnapping of the grandson of an eccentric oil magnate.
You do know that the movie was completed but then the Kevin Spacey allegations came out. Kevin Spacey never bothered to notify the producer about the impending charges so the director decides to cut him out.

Over Thanksgiving, the director enlists Tommy Lee Jones, calls the cast and location sets in, reshoots the relevant scenes. Completes the shoot and edits and still releases the film on time.

Love the cars used in the film

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th March 2019 at 18:38. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post.
Old 13th March 2019, 18:15   #7256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Over Thanksgiving, the director enlists Tommy Lee Jones, calls the cast and location sets in, reshoots the relevant scenes. Completes the shoot and edits and still releases the film on time.

Love the cars used in the film
er you mean Christopher Plummer.

Had posted about this movie a few pages back. Christopher Plummer just steals the show in this movie.

Molly's Game was a good movie! Really great performance from Jessica.

Watched High-Rise, a dark movie depressing actually but strangely i could not stop myself from watching it throughout.

Mortal Engines: Visually good, but a bad movie overall.
Old 13th March 2019, 18:17   #7257
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
er you mean Christopher Plummer.

Had posted about this movie a few pages back. Christopher Plummer just steals the show in this movie.
Yes, you are correct. God knows why I got mixed with Tommy Lee Jones
Old 13th March 2019, 22:15   #7258
Distinguished - BHPian

Triple Frontier (Netflix) : 3 / 5

A good action packed movie with a very basic storyline; the trailer itself gives away the entire story. What is worth watching is the gorgeous locations across the Andes throughout the entire movie.
Old 14th March 2019, 06:28   #7259
BHPian

The Prestige (2006)
Genre: Thriller
Rating: 5/5 (I feel it’s that good)
Directed by Christopher Nolan, it is an epic of rivalry between 2 magicians for the greatest act of all time.

The plot is nowhere as corny as I make it sound Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman act brilliant in the movie. The music is also rather strong in it. You can never really tell what is going to happen next.
I think we should have a separate thread to discuss Christopher Nolan movies
Old 14th March 2019, 09:06   #7260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balderash_12 View Post
The Prestige (2006)
Genre: Thriller
Rating: 5/5 (I feel it’s that good)
Directed by Christopher Nolan, it is an epic of rivalry between 2 magicians for the greatest act of all time
Watch it a second time, and you realise that the director has been throwing hints at you all along as to the ending of the movie. Were you “watching closely?” 😜

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks