Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2018, 22:07   #7096
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Movie: Shot Caller (2017) ---> 4 / 5.

How Jacob (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, the GoT guy) starts molding into his new environment, accept the consequences of his decisions and eventually turn into the Shot Caller is actually very gripping. Also gives you a glimpse of the prison life and the system. Cutting one start because the story is not perfect and leaves a bit more desired. You may find it a bit slow for a moment for the time it takes to build up everything.
Old 24th August 2018, 15:56   #7097
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

A Quiet Place : 4 / 5

Watched this on the return flight from US couple of days ago. Would have saved this for a bigger screen if I had known about it.

with your 4/5 rating for this one!
Old 25th August 2018, 10:10   #7098
Distinguished - BHPian

Hereditary

Amazing reviews, twisted plot (search google and you will see "ending explained". Gives you the feeling it's some super twist.) - I couldn't watch this in the theater and thoughts I made the wrong decision. But I did make the right move.

Pay a close attention and you will understand the story. I can't recall of a single scene that makes you jump from your seat. It's just an ordinary movie (there are similar movies) with good acting by the female lead and the kids.

Can give this a miss. "Scariest movie of the year", "Better than Conjuring" - No way!

Rating - 1.5/5
Old 27th August 2018, 20:58   #7099
BHPian

If you thought Liam Neeson only throws punches around and make memorable phone calls, think again. The guy can act and how!

The Grey (2011) - slow, gritty and lesson in acting. Make sure you watch it till the very end - even after the end credits roll ;-)

Last edited by WindRide : 27th August 2018 at 21:02.
Old 8th September 2018, 10:50   #7100
BHPian

The Magic of Belle Isle (2012): [Also called "Once More"]

I found this movie starring Morgan Freeman while searching Netflix catalogue for a family movie yesterday night. Since we like the actor and the movie description was enticing enough, we watched it. It surpassed our expectations. It is a feel good comedy with enjoyable dialogues, good acting and heartwarming story line. A really good family movie.

Rating - 4/5
Old 8th September 2018, 15:53   #7101
Senior - BHPian

Got some time to watch a couple of movies yesterday:

1] Seraphim Falls: Liam Neeson & Pierce Brosnan in a post civil war western. Beautifully shot and paces on well enough but ultimately seemed very pointless.

2] The Killing Fields: Story of a journalist trapped in Cambodia when things go bad. Intense with plenty of gut wrenching scenes. Not for the faint of heart :(
Old 8th September 2018, 20:00   #7102
Distinguished - BHPian

The Nun

Been waiting for this ever since they announced this project and the stunning visuals of the nun in the conjuring made me quite excited. Tried for the first show (morning show) yesterday but got sold out quickly. But managed to get a ticket today and the show was sold out.

Coming to the movie, the plot is a simple one and quite boring (Went with a lot of expectation - being a fan of the conjuring series). The scares are expected but there are couple of good scares (unexpected ones).

The movie can be boring for an ordinary movie goer and it's strictly one time watch. Don't expect something close to conjuring but the visuals of the nun combined with that BGM will send some shivers.

Rating - 2/5
Old 9th September 2018, 10:04   #7103
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Nun yesterday night in a crowded theater. Some genuine jumps and a good humored crowd made for a good watch.

Lovely music score and Valak as expected is chilling.

4/5 from me and my wife
Old 10th September 2018, 10:30   #7104
BHPian

Guys need your help in naming the movie that I had watched a few years back, unable to recall it's name.

Father dies or is kidnapped, his car with AI locates his daughter and drives her to safety. This car is able to change color/shape.
Old 10th September 2018, 17:25   #7105
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Guys need your help in naming the movie that I had watched a few years back, unable to recall it's name.

Father dies or is kidnapped, his car with AI locates his daughter and drives her to safety. This car is able to change color/shape.

If I remember this was the opening episode for new Knight Rider with the Ford Mustang.

not sure if this was a movie.
Old 10th September 2018, 17:47   #7106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post
If I remember this was the opening episode for new Knight Rider with the Ford Mustang.

Correct. It was a series and a Shelby GT500 was featured as K.I.T.T.
Old 10th September 2018, 18:13   #7107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post

OT - If you wanna have even more fun on similar lines, watch, "Taarzan: The Wonder Car" the hindi movie.
Old 10th September 2018, 19:33   #7108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajands View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Correct. It was a series and a Shelby GT500 was featured as K.I.T.T.

Thank you. Yeah its Knight Rider 2008. Have to wait 4 days to watch it
Old 18th September 2018, 10:14   #7109
Distinguished - BHPian

Seems that Henry Cavill has left D.C and his Superman role. As a fan of Superman, I remember even the D.C animated series from 2 decades ago being better written than the utter nonsense that it has become today. It seems even Ben Affleck is out (good riddance I'd say).

For D.C fans here's my analysis of exactly what went wrong since Man of Steel (which by itself was fairly good), but the 2 movies after that were horribly written from the purists point of view as below :

- Superman : The one portrayed by Cavill was shown to be more immature, irrational and not in complete control of his emotions and senses. In comic lore Clark Kent had many years to hone control over himself and his abilities, so much so that he can switch between a bumbling, clumsy southern boy to a stone-faced, brutal tactical fighter and compassionate rescuer in a second. His inherent nature is of helping others and that is why he is called the boy scout affectionately.

- Lex Luthor : Boy did D.C and WB do a number on this guy, an eloquent, tall, well built absolutely deranged yet composed supergenius like Luthor, who also indulged in megalomania and narcissism liberally, got portrayed by a tiny, boyish, highly immature and self-destructive man. Didn't help that Jesse Eisenberg was just not meant for Luthor.

- Lois Lane : She was supposed to be an independent, courageous hard working journo but in the movie she is only portrayed as being thirsty for Superman in all 3 films.

While I feel Cavill had the best potential to give us possibly the greatest and most definitive Superman, it was destroyed by the story-writers and by D.C overall, in their quest to become a Marvel movie franchise. D.C was always better, more realistic and more original compared to Marvel, but what they did with their movies today has buried D.C forever.
Old 18th September 2018, 10:39   #7110
Senior - BHPian

Saw predator this week, Its a good watch. The old Predator theme was used at couple of places and will bring goosebumps.

The storyline is very predictable. Not reveling any spoilers.

My Rating: 3 out of 5

Pramod

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks