Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2018, 11:25   #7111
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

A friend recommended a good sci-fi movie - Upgrade. Supposed to be made on a very low budget but it has very good VFX. Interesting concept and I would recommend watching it.

Upgrade - 3.5/5
Old 18th September 2018, 13:11   #7112
BHPian

Watched The Predator yesterday .

A cliched Hollywood Action Flick - Some scenes of blood and gore coupled with a few funny lines . But I would say it caters to the 'Predator'audience. Some bits and pieces are still amiss.

Interesting climax..

I liked it
3/5

Last edited by poised2drive : 18th September 2018 at 13:12.
Old 18th September 2018, 13:20   #7113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
While I feel Cavill had the best potential to give us possibly the greatest and most definitive Superman, it was destroyed by the story-writers and by D.C overall, in their quest to become a Marvel movie franchise.
Totally agree on Superman. Man of Steel in fact was a well-written movie which laid good foundation for future Superman movies. Next two movies were plainly horrible. For such poor effort, DC & WB deserve to lose money.
I really hoped to see more of Henry Cavill as Superman. He has a certain innocent charm something which has made Superman character so likeable. But then, seeing how hopeless DC and WB are, it is better for Cavill to scout for better opportunity.

Quote:
It seems even Ben Affleck is out (good riddance I'd say).

I would like to disagree here. Ben Affleck actually did a good job in Dawn of Justice. The movie was confused and Batman character was written atrociously but Affleck actually tried to salvage whatever he could. In fact, I daresay Affleck would have shone better in Nolan's Bat-verse than Bale. Finally, Affleck realised that the DC universe in not going anywhere so maybe he will write off losses and love to better projects.
Old 18th September 2018, 13:37   #7114
Distinguished - BHPian

Sicario (2) : Day of the Soldado : 2.5 / 5
A poor rendition of the brilliant first movie; even the actors (Benicio del Toro, Josh Brolin) who were brilliant in the first movie, turn out an average performance. The acting isn't bad; the issue is in the story - there's no meat.

While the first movie excelled in the on-the-face situations that put the viewer right in the middle of the action; the latter tries very hard (and obvious) to setup a sequel and keep it open ended on purpose. Give it a view if you have nothing else to see

Isle of Dogs: 3 / 5

Came highly recommended; this award winning Japanese (with english subtitles) movie about a futuristic situation where the world has been taken over (I kid you not) by cats! And as a result dogs have been abandoned to a secluded island. The movie is quite decent; however I lost interest by the second half. But still worth a watch.

Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie : 4.5 / 5

A lil late for a 2017 animation movie; however this is an absolutely brilliant and hilarious take on school principles with hypnosis as the underlying theme. With biggies like Despicable Me 3, Coco and Batman Movie in the year, this was an under-rated movie that passed under the radars. Give it a watch - guaranteed 2 hours of fun!
Old 19th September 2018, 01:19   #7115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For D.C fans here's my analysis of exactly what went wrong since Man of Steel (which by itself was fairly good), but the 2 movies after that were horribly written from the purists point of view as below :

- Superman : The one portrayed by Cavill was shown to be more immature, irrational and not in complete control of his emotions and senses. In comic lore Clark Kent had many years to hone control over himself and his abilities, so much so that he can switch between a bumbling, clumsy southern boy to a stone-faced, brutal tactical fighter and compassionate rescuer in a second. His inherent nature is of helping others and that is why he is called the boy scout affectionately.

- Lex Luthor : Boy did D.C and WB do a number on this guy, an eloquent, tall, well built absolutely deranged yet composed supergenius like Luthor, who also indulged in megalomania and narcissism liberally, got portrayed by a tiny, boyish, highly immature and self-destructive man. Didn't help that Jesse Eisenberg was just not meant for Luthor.

- Lois Lane : She was supposed to be an independent, courageous hard working journo but in the movie she is only portrayed as being thirsty for Superman in all 3 films.

While I feel Cavill had the best potential to give us possibly the greatest and most definitive Superman, it was destroyed by the story-writers and by D.C overall, in their quest to become a Marvel movie franchise. D.C was always better, more realistic and more original compared to Marvel, but what they did with their movies today has buried D.C forever.
Completely agree, while growing most of us knew more about DC characters, infact I don't recollect any Marvel character outside of Spiderman. But the way Marvel has created their cinematic universe is mindblowing. DC should try to remain original and do standalone Batman(one-offs like the Dark Knight series), Superman and Wonder Woman etc. And they should try to stay away from Zack Snyder.

Btw the Shazam trailer doesn't look too promising either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
A friend recommended a good sci-fi movie - Upgrade. Supposed to be made on a very low budget but it has very good VFX. Interesting concept and I would recommend watching it.

Upgrade - 3.5/5
Watched it recently, yes its a nice one time watch.

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th September 2018 at 01:23.
Old 19th September 2018, 06:26   #7116
Senior - BHPian

Captain Marvel first trailer is out, looks like Marvel has another blockbuster in their hands

Old 19th September 2018, 07:34   #7117
Distinguished - BHPian

Watched a Dutch movie "The Resistance Banker" based on the true life story of Wally "van Tuyl" van Hall who raised millions of guilders for the Resistance supporting the Allies against the Nazis. A fascinating story backed by solid, understated performances by the lead characters, all Dutch themselves. Netflix is unearthing a world of foreign language content these days. Plus I am always a sucker for WW2 themes.
Old 23rd September 2018, 08:37   #7118
Senior - BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched 2 movies in the last 2 days. One was the new one in the theatres, Equalizer 2. Although the first part was not a great watch and I had only watched that recently on television. But I kept thinking that how can the director who made training day deliver this movie? Anyway, I read some reviews that mentioned that the sequel was better than the first, hence went ahead and watched it. I would agree that it is surely better than the first part, but a typical Hollywood action movie which moves between different locations and uses some done to death templates in screen play. You need to watch it for denzel Washington and thats about it.

The 2nd one was in Netflix, the infiltrator, based on the whole drug cartel scene run by Pablo Escobar. Again, very predictable, nothing extraordinary.
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:17   #7119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
world of foreign language content
These two have been some of the best movies I have seen till date:

The Intouchables (French)
A Separation (Iranian)

Not sure where you can find them (legal stream) but if you can, you must watch them.
Old 23rd September 2018, 09:43   #7120
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Plus I am always a sucker for WW2 themes.
Thank you for the suggestion - WW2 (themes) sucker here too

There's a British movie Hurricane that's on my radar; will share a review once I get to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Upgrade - 3.5/5
Hahaha - you should pay more attention to this thread; you would have got the recommendation for this movie from me and many more several weeks ago
Old 24th September 2018, 13:48   #7121
Senior - BHPian

Predator: 1/5.

The Judge: 4/5

Landmine goes click: 3/5

The informant: 3/5

The Manchurian candidate: 3/5
Old 24th September 2018, 19:48   #7122
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Post & Mission Impossible - Fallout

The Post _ As expected best performances from some of the finest actors in the industry, story starts from the get go and builds up as we move along. Considering current times of the press it shows an interesting phase of press in the 60s & 70s.
The reason I rated 4 instead of 5 is because of the title and storyline, Considering the storyline the movie should probably have been called Katharine Graham

Don't want to put any spoilers so will not elaborate.
4/5

MI - Fallout - Nothing new, some stunt scenes are brilliant and then some that makes no sense and last but not the least the repetitive ones.
Henry Cavill is mostly eye candy.

Tom Cruise is good and will probably keep milking the franchise till he can.
2.5/5

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th September 2018 at 19:49.
Old 30th September 2018, 21:36   #7123
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Get Out - a crazy, weird, freaky thriller that I'd give only 3 out of 5 stars, but I still couldn't stop watching it as I was too curious to know how the story goes / ends. Has excellent ratings online. Currently on some movie channels, so watch it if you have nothing better to do. Watch it at night only.

A very unconventional dark movie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
The Judge: 4/5
Loved The Judge! Easily 4 out of 5 stars. Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
The Post _ As expected best performances from some of the finest actors in the industry, story starts from the get go and builds up as we move along. Considering current times of the press it shows an interesting phase of press in the 60s & 70s.
Meryl Streep, man! She's my favourite, favourite actress .
Old 1st October 2018, 13:49   #7124
Senior - BHPian

Watched Johnny English Strikes Again and would rate it 3/5

The Aston Martin shown in the movie is very classy. You have every scene trying its best to showcase "comedy" and ending up doing something stupid.
I could hear lots of people busting into laughter in the movie hall but didn't find it that funny.
The comedy is not in the same league as the movie Bean (Whistler's mother's painting one)
Old 1st October 2018, 18:00   #7125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
- Superman :
- Lex Luthor :
- Lois Lane :
I did like Henry Cavill in the role of Superman. If only DC can recreate the magic of Superman I & II with Christopher Reeve, minus the campy villainy of Gene Hackman's Lex Luthor, & make Superman not too perfect.

Till date, I think the cast of Smallville were well suited to their parts - also the show didn't depict the characters to be bumbling buffoons.
Michael Rosenbaum's rendition of Lex Luthor is in my opinion, the best depiction of the character, on screen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Btw the Shazam trailer doesn't look too promising either.
- I loved the Captain Marvel trailer & did not like the Shazam trailer.
Don't know why they want to make it so cheesy!

If Marvel can get the humor spot on with Guardian's Of The Galaxy & Thor: Ragnarok, without making you cringe I wonder why DC fails to do the same.

Marvel's only Achilles heel, as far as I'm concerned, is Spiderman - not my favourite.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st October 2018 at 18:14. Reason: Merged.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks