Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2018, 15:34   #6961
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched a couple of movies after a long break.

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - 4.5/5
A must watch! Nominated for seven Oscars this year.

Manhattan Murder Mystery (1994) - 4/5.
I absolutely loved Woody Allen's humour in it. Will surely be watching more of his old movies.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 1st March 2018 at 15:45.
Old 2nd March 2018, 22:38   #6962
Senior - BHPian

Watched following on a recent flight

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
I originally thought that its an old movie based on true story but realized its not. The storyline is pretty average its not as intriguing as the name suggests which was a big disappointment. However the saving grace is great performances by the cast. To be honest I am surprised by the Oscar nominations except for acting ones. The same movie with a less stellar cast would have gone unnoticed.

3/5

American Made
I wasnt expecting much from it as I was wondering what else they could show that hasnt been show cased in Narcos turns out quite a bit. Enjoyed the movie and good to see Tom Cruise in a movie where he is not trying to save the world or fighting mysterious people.

3.5/5

Kingsman: The Golden Circle
The movie follows the pace and storyline from the first movie. Great British SciFi spy movie, I thing it will be a good series. They had more American cast this time so I am assuming they either had better American acceptance last time around or they wanted to capture this time. Overall an entertaining movie.

4/5

Last edited by Technocrat : 2nd March 2018 at 22:39.
Old 3rd March 2018, 09:40   #6963
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Lion - 4 out of 5 stars. Would have given it 5, but the movie was unnecessarily dragged in the 2nd half.

A heart-touching true story of a labourer's son who got lost on a railway station, ended up in Kolkata, survived on the streets, was adopted by an Australian couple and later found his biological family again.

The best performance without any doubt is by the kid Sunny Pawar. Him, I would give 5 out of 5 stars!

Old 3rd March 2018, 15:42   #6964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Lion - 4 out of 5 stars. Would have given it 5, but the movie was unnecessarily dragged in the 2nd half.

A heart-touching true story of a labourer's son who got lost on a railway station, ended up in Kolkata, survived on the streets, was adopted by an Australian couple and later found his biological family again.
I once lived in Germany in a house that was shared by several tenants. One of the tenants was a German film maker /producer/videographer/actor who had his work office in that house. He still has his own production house and is making indie movies. Anyway, he showed me a video that he had worked on (post processing) It was about an Indian kid who was adopted by a German family. The video was about that kids journey to India with his German parents when they brought him here to meet with his extended family who were living here. I think they were living somewhere in a remote village in Rajasthan. It was really amazing to watch. Very emotional. And it was real life stuff!
Old 5th March 2018, 08:37   #6965
Team-BHP Support

Saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

A drama based on a grim subject brought alive by dark humor and strong performances by Frances McDormand and Sam Rockwell.

The humor keeps you interested in the otherwise slow movie.

5/5
Old 5th March 2018, 12:05   #6966
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The best performance without any doubt is by the kid Sunny Pawar. Him, I would give 5 out of 5 stars!
Totally loved it! 4.5/5 from me. Highly recommended!! Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
three billboards outside ebbing missouri : 4/5

Absolutely brilliant movie! Starts out with a simple construct in a small town in the south; amazing cast and the script never lets you down. Don't get sidelined by the simplistic construct or the barebone movie name. This is a definite must watch!
Another lovely watch! Would rate it at 4/5. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited by Eddy : 5th March 2018 at 12:15. Reason: Please do not type entire sentences in bold.
Old 12th March 2018, 12:12   #6967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
These guys inspired two of the most memorable Hollywood movie characters. Any guesses?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Exactly! C3P0 and R2D2 were inspired by these two chaps.

I was watching this movie from my DVD collection yesterday ....
I was going through this thread to see what I can pick for the weekend! (which is given below)

And, your picture reminded me of 'Bud Spencer & Terence Hill' - they were a regular pair and were really funny.... (the fat one's tummy and his blank look reminded me of Bud Spencer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Now You See Me - 3.5/5

Excellent cast, with amazing performances. The magic tricks are done exceedingly well, however the storyline weaves in and out with quite a few gaps....

Surprisingly Caine & Freeman are the least relevant characters and the others at times overshadow them.

Not exactly the class of The Illusionist or The Prestige, but definitely worth a watch atleast for the delightful cast.
True.

I watched 'The Prestige' again - and later there was 'Now You See Me' was running on a channel - somehow, couldn't sit through it (have already watched thrice earlier) after watching 'The Prestige'.... and I noticed 'Tesla' was 'David Bowie'!! Full marks to 'The Prestige'.

I agree, in 'Now You See Me', Caine & Freeman had good role's, the other characters gave better performances, I guess.... (why does Freeman's have a side-kick? She does nothing in any of the scenes! Just to reinforce that all magicians need to have an assistant, preferably from the opposite sex?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
Talking about Michael Caine, I recently watched Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. That is one hilarious movie. Both Steve Martin and Michael Caine have done an awesome job.

BTW, I liked The Prestige too. Christian Bale and Michael Caine at their best
There are quite a few dialogues hinting that 'Alfred Borden' might have a double - especially, when his wife Sarah keeps saying that; instead, all the time I was thinking it was a case of split personality!

Have you seen 'Michael Caine' in 'The Sleuth'? Laurence Olivier and Michael Caine and probably just three or four more actors. That's it! I would rate it a 4.5/5

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th March 2018 at 12:59.
Old 12th March 2018, 14:22   #6968
BHPian

I happened to watch "The Murder on Orient Express (2017)". An amazing book by Agatha Christie, the movie was for lack of any other word - insipid. The characters were not given time to be formed and there was no plot definition, creation of the sense of whodunit. The actors were probably cast from a plastic mould and had no expressions, not focus on character building and even a modicum of jocularity. If you miss this - you are a lucky person

Rated 2/5
Old 12th March 2018, 14:48   #6969
Senior - BHPian

Watched Tomb Raider-2018. Rating: 3.5/5

The action sequences are very good and the story moves with a brisk pace. However, Alicia needs to work on her acting or expressions. Angelina Jolie's Lara Croft was outstanding IMO. Jolie had a certain charisma which Alicia lacks. But biggest difference is that Angelina was already an established superstar whereas Alicia, though an academy award winner in 2016, is in the beginning phase of her acting career.

Alicia has done really well on the action front though. Some of the scenes are simply outstanding. First half is crazily action packed. Overall, a one time watch for sure. Watching in iMax is even better.
Old 19th March 2018, 00:40   #6970
BHPian

I was cleaning up the house for Ugaadi / Gudi Padwa and chanced upon a suitcase with discarded DVDs that my brother and I collected over the years.
Found some gems in them and spent the weekend watching the movies.

1. Top Gun - the original Bro movie
2. Hunt For Red October - Sean Connery steals the show.
3. V For Vendetta - No words for this movie.
4. The Italian Job
5. Gladiator - Russel Crowe owns this movie
6. Pretty Woman - Julia Roberts, Julia Roberts, Julia Roberts
6. It's A Wonderful Life - a feel good movie to enjoy with family.
7. Sin City - Robert Rodriguez at his finest.

Now that we have Netflix & Amazon Prime, buying DVD has become something only old timers like I did so it was a nice throw back to watch these movies again.

I was in school when Top Gun was released here in Mumbai and that was one movie I watched few times on the big screen and countless times on VCD & DVD.
That cheesy Salman Khan Thums Up ad notwithstanding.
Pretty Woman was released when I was in college and was another movie I have seen a few times on big screen only because of Julia Roberts.
It's a Wonderful Life is one of the best Frank Capra movies I have seen.
Youngsters on this thread, watch Sin City. It was one of the first adaptations of a graphic novel to cinema and is worth a view.
V For Vendetta stands out for me for this quote.

Quote:
“Remember, remember the fifth of November of gunpowder treason and plot. I know of no reason why the gun powder treason should ever be forgot.”
Followed by the Tchaikovsky - 1812 Overture

Last edited by Ithaca : 19th March 2018 at 01:01. Reason: Spelling & Grammer
Old 20th March 2018, 02:05   #6971
Senior - BHPian

Black Panther: A refreshing superhero movie, that does not tie into any of the other overly complicated Marvel Comics universes. The story has a big weak spot though in the origins of the villain. I can't discuss that more without revealing any spoilers. In spite of that, this movie is a must watch.

Daddy's Home 2: Good timepass comedy. Keeps you well entertained

Wonder: Keep a box of tissues handy. This isn't just the story about a boy with a disfigured face trying to make it in the school but also about the people around him who support him and love him.

The Killing of a Sacred Deer: Boy what a snooze fest. If you have trouble falling asleep on the flight, watch this one. It is supposed to be a very good psychological thriller. So, if slow death is your thing, then go for it.

Three Billboards Outside Epping: Phenomenal acting by the lead cast.

Wind River: Jeremy Reiner finally lives up to his potential in this thriller.

Boyka Undisputed: Ugh. What a waste of my time. But it serves as a good remedy after the emotional ups and downs of watching Wonder.

The Big Sick: Becomes a good comedy only after Ray Romano and Holly Hunter make an appearance. Until then, I felt like changing the channel a hundred times. But I am glad I stuck till then.
Old 20th March 2018, 05:38   #6972
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Wonder: Keep a box of tissues handy. This isn't just the story about a boy with a disfigured face trying to make it in the school but also about the people around him who support him and love him.
Totally agree!
We stumbled upon this movie while looking for a movie to watch as a family at the theater around Xmas last year. The movie truly proved its worth, and i would highly recommend.
Old 20th March 2018, 11:04   #6973
Senior - BHPian

In other news, the latest trailer of Avengers: Infinity War has been out a couple of days. The more I see the trailers, the more it becomes a mouthwatering prospect to watch the movie on the big screen next month. Thanos, in particular, looks super menacing.

it is indeed a gargantuan task to manage adequate screen time for so many superheroes at one shot. No wonder they had to bisect the movie into two parts. I am sure this will be a super- massive money-spinner for the Marvel franchise. Not that the other instalments were laggards in this respect, but this should scale all previously set goalposts with ease.
Old 29th March 2018, 04:40   #6974
BHPian

Ready Player One : 6/10

Umm, dunno what to say really. I think it could have been so much better IMHO.

Yes, the 80's music is there but the selection isn't all that great. Sure it tries to build nostalgia using throwbacks to the retro console games and stuff from 3 decades ago, but nothing is haha funny nor memorable. Yes the visuals & CGI are ridiculously good, but they didn't really strike a chord with me. Story is really meh. Characters aren't really likeable. The baddie isn't really a baddie. Nothing apart from the visual spectacle really stood out. So if that's what you're hoping to see, just a whole bunch of CGI, then yeah it's pretty good. Otherwise, not worth the cost, time and effort in my opinion.
Old 29th March 2018, 22:57   #6975
BHPian

Watched Mr. Nobody after reading strong recommendation on 9gag.
I quite liked the movie. The story telling is non-linear and at times confusing, but the ending sorts out everything. The movie brilliantly interlaces scientific fiction with strong human emotions.
Jared Leto is impressive. I haven't seen all of his his work, but I intend to, after watching this movie.

4/5

Last edited by ritzy : 29th March 2018 at 23:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks