Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2017, 10:08   #6856
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

I completely agree to the point that Superhero movies should be enjoyed without much expectations for deep meaning, logic and other "Best Picture" characteristics.

I am a big fan of DEADPOOL kind of movies. Awesome action, super funny and a pure entertainer. In fact, I am not even part of this whole DC vs Marvel arguments. I love watching movies and all Superhero movies are total fun to watch IMHO.

I also loved the new Spiderman movie, Spiderman Homecoming. In fact, it was so better and different than the last 6-7 spiderman movies where the MJ is stuck somewhere and spiderman has to go and save her at the end of the movie. Also, Homecoming was the first installment of Spiderman movies after Spidey moved under Marvel umbrella. So they will only go higher and higher in terms of content. So wait and watch.

I am watching Thor-Ragnorak tomorrow and Justice League next weekend.
Old 10th November 2017, 12:20   #6857
BHPian

Well, all the hoopla surrounding Thor Ragnarok ensured that I watch two different movies over the past weekend. Ittefaq, a remake of '69 movie of the same name, and (for a second time) Edge of Tomorrow. The latter movie, which was an in-flight one, is a good, fun to watch, action sci-fi thriller. Go check it out, it's available on Hotstar (or was it Prime).

Have resisted the Thor urge so far. And looks like I might resist Justice League too. But hey, a man's got to encash his free ticket each month. So which one do I choose?
Old 10th November 2017, 22:12   #6858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Watched THOR - RAGNORAK - Loved it, great humor in the movie and some great Thor special moments some of which we have seen before(But portrayed better in this movie) and some not seen one specifically the Lightning ones.
[/b]

I knew this. I watched this last Saturday, could not find time to review this, but managed to take out time to watch it a second time.
Any body who is a fan of good light hearted super hero movies, that feel like comic book stories, this is the one for you. It's hilarious, it's exilarating, it's fun from beginning to end. Just what I want from a movie that is based on a comic book story.
For the fans, this movie is filled with Easter eggs, it has some wonderful cameos like technocrat mentioned and a bit nerdy reason to love the movie, it perhaps is the first movie in MCU to do justice to the power that Thor packs!! The starting sequence is just so kick***. Chris Hemsworth has really done well with his limited talent to actually like his work in this one. That said, a movie that has hulk smashing around cannot be spoken about without mentioning him. Some great chemistry between Thor and Hulk!! And well Tessa Thompson too.

Hela as the villian is good as well. But for me the show stopper is Tom Hiddleston. Boy the guy is as charismatic as ever!!
Dr. Strange's Cameo shows he is grown in stature within MCU. I feel he is going to play a big big role in the Infinity war. After all in the comics he packs a mean punch!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I completely agree to the point that Superhero movies should be enjoyed without much expectations for deep meaning, logic and other "Best Picture" characteristics.

I am a big fan of DEADPOOL kind of movies. ......

I am watching Thor-Ragnorak tomorrow and Justice League next weekend.
I am a fan of Deadpool type movies as well. This is other side of spectrum. Funny, but in a more U rated way. Almost bordering on spoof. And that's where I guess Taiki Watiti has hit bulls eye. It's fun in a campy way but still manages to stay mainstream.
I will be watching justice league as well. No way I can miss these movies.
After all this is what I do during free time (trying not to be killed by The Joker )

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-screenshot_20171110220648_01.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
So which one do I choose?
Choose both. If you are hell bent on choosing only one, then purely on experience, seems Thor Ragnarok will be a better bet. Only DC movie I liked was Wonder woman!
Old 11th November 2017, 10:27   #6859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I completely agree to the point that Superhero movies should be enjoyed without much expectations for deep meaning, logic and other "Best Picture" characteristics
I don't think superhero movies "should be" one way or the other. There's room for both, provided they are done correctly.

With some characters like Deadpool or Guardians of the galaxy, the light hearted comedic scenes work well. But making every superhero movie a comedy would be a mistake. When we are dealing with grim, end of the world type scenarios, the movie should convey that tone. Haven't seen Thor yet, but going by the trailers, I think it would be silly to see Thor cracking jokes and acting goofy right after his home city is utterly destroyed and most of his people killed. I'll still watch it though and I hope the actual movie is handled better.

Last edited by JonSnow : 11th November 2017 at 10:41.
Old 12th November 2017, 11:41   #6860
BHPian

I saw Allied yesterday on Prime as suggested a couple of pages back in this thread. Very well made and deeply moving movie based around the time of the WWII! Don't miss it.
Old 13th November 2017, 10:08   #6861
Senior - BHPian

Thor - Ragnorak - 3.5/5

Its a fun movie ! Lots and lots of action, lots and lots of characters and lots of funny dialogues. However, sometimes (very few though), it almost feels that the comedy factor is bordering with spoof. I felt that the comedy lost its sharpness during the scenes when Thor and Hulk are sharing the same room on some godforsaken planet.

Matt Damon, Sam Neil, Lukes Hemsworth do a guest appearance. Jeff Goldblum has done well in his negative character. My favorite actor, Benedict Cumberbatch AKA Doctor Strange, is great even in a 5 minutes scene.

Cate Blanchett is perfect as Hela. Cate is now completely at home when it comes to playing negative characters (Irina from Indiana Jones, Lady Tremaine from Cindrella).

Thor, the character goes through a lots of changes. Some of the fundamental concepts are completely broken into pieces, pun intended. Chris Hemsworth has done well in all scenes. Tom Hiddleton has done a great job too.

Valkyrie is interesting, funny, dashing and bold. We are going to see Valkyrie more in the next Avengers movie.

Overall, a nice watch. This movie is poles apart from the first two Thor movies (Thor, Thor-Dark World) in terms of seriousness. But its not bad at all.

As usual, do wait for the end credits. There is something hidden in the middle of the end credits as is the case with all Marvel's movies.
Old 13th November 2017, 10:32   #6862
BHPian

Echoing Ajay's review , I caught the Thor movie yesterday at Mysore and think it's more of a spoof than a sequel. I hate marvel movies but had to give in to my son's persistence.
Old 18th November 2017, 07:57   #6863
BHPian

Well, watched Justice League last night and I quiet liked it. Perfect balance of story, intensity, action, emotion and tastefully done comedy. We all know who the star of the show is . Loved the action scenes! It is better than wonder woman, not because there are more heroes, it just feels more cohesive.
Old 18th November 2017, 09:59   #6864
Senior - BHPian

Loved the Thor movie. Finally happy to see a decent Thor movie. Needed more lightning and thunder. Had it's fallacies of course. :(

Thor, Hela, Loki, Grandmaster, Valkyrie stole the show.

Cameos were fun.

In contrast to most reviews i did not find too much of spoof/humour in the movie. Maybe i am used to Marvel movies by now. Would not mind seeing a dark marvel movie but that seems to be DCs forte.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th November 2017 at 13:07. Reason: Removing spoiler bits. Please avoid.
Old 18th November 2017, 11:07   #6865
BHPian

This is not a very new movie, 2016 but I would recommend it. An animation film called Kubo and the 2 Strings. I wont go on about the setting and story, but i can tell you that its a movie to sit and watch at night with family - no issues. I am amazing every time a CGI movie invokes emotions and feelings, sometimes even more that movies with actors. This movie plays on the love between parents and children. In the whirlwind of commercial acion and noisy movies, gems like this are a real treat. Felt the same about Inside Out.
Old 18th November 2017, 11:46   #6866
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
This is not a very new movie, 2016 but I would recommend it. An animation film called Kubo and the 2 Strings.
+1, really liked this movie. Though it was a little slow at places but eventually picks up the pace.
Old 18th November 2017, 12:55   #6867
Senior - BHPian

I honestly felt it was a tad bit depressing. Nice movie nonetheless.
Old 18th November 2017, 14:13   #6868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
+1, really liked this movie. Though it was a little slow at places but eventually picks up the pace.
Yes, that is exactly why i liked it. This movie gives you space to digest the various signals you receive. While this is not always good, its nice to sit back and watch slow, steady and dreamy movies. these days, both movie watchers and in turn movie makers have been steadily dropping their patience levels pertaining to actually understanding what message a movie is trying to give (and giving such depth to movies.) Everyone wants the explosion first and instant gratification.

Anyhoo, another movie i can compare this to, great movie but horribly marketed (for obvious commercial reasons). The Bridge to Terabithia.
Old 20th November 2017, 16:30   #6869

For all horror movie buffs. The Wailing!

A definite must watch! Though not an English movie but the plot is amazing. It's a Korean movie. I guarantee that this movie will leave you confused and thinking in the end! For me it's better than The Conjuring.
Old 28th November 2017, 07:17   #6870
BHPian

Watched "The Big Short" on Netflix. Pretty interesting take on the market and instruments. Attaching snippets from Wiki, as I won't be able to express easily.

The Big Short is a 2015 American biographical comedy-drama film directed by Adam McKay and written by McKay and Charles Randolph, based on the 2010 book The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis about the financial crisis of 2007–2008 which was triggered by the United States housing bubble.

The film was nominated for five Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Supporting Actor for Bale, Best Film Editing and Best Adapted Screenplay, winning the last.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Short_(film)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks