Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2017, 23:19   #6841
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Geostorm : 3.5/5

Good CGI, few mistakes (like getting into a spacesuit like it’s a jacket, unexplained convention center explosion…).

I liked the story line a lot. Man controlling weather, directing and controlling every single anomaly till a time when the same system is used to hit back at mankind. Something that is very much possible in the near future.

A good one time watch.
Old 29th October 2017, 19:42   #6842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Geostorm : 3.5/5

Good CGI, few mistakes (like getting into a spacesuit like it’s a jacket, unexplained convention center explosion…).

I liked the story line a lot. Man controlling weather, directing and controlling every single anomaly till a time when the same system is used to hit back at mankind. Something that is very much possible in the near future.

A good one time watch.
I watched Geostorm too and liked it and would give it 4/5
The idea is good and the CGI is also decent. The apocalypse theme is given a different twist in this one.
Old 30th October 2017, 23:55   #6843
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
Watched Spiderman Home-Coming. Oh why does Marvel keep making movies that have absolutely zero stakes and no incident within the movie having grim consequences. I only dread watching Thor: Ragnarok and I can't skip it because friend circle is filled with Marvel fanboys.
When I first saw your feedback on Spiderman, I thought maybe you are not a Marvel guy but boy were you right, I am super MCU (Marvel's Cinematic Universe) fan but I couldn't figure out what they were planning to do with Spider-man in this movie

The characters are poorly developed, some of the actors were clearly misfits. The story line was at best average if not poor, even Iron-man couldn't save it.

2/5

I am praying THOR Ragnorak lives up to the expectations
Old 31st October 2017, 06:31   #6844
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
When I first saw your feedback on Spiderman....................I am praying THOR Ragnorak lives up to the expectations
I am in the same boat. Don't want to watch Thor Ragnorak but at the same time, I cannot not see it since there are too many marvel fanboys in my friend circle.
Another movie I am dreading is the next Avengers movie which is also going to be out soon.
And the next Star Wars after that - Have to see it because I cannot not afford to not see it.

I feel the studios are just making these overpriced CG overdosed superhero movies and we have begun watching them as a habit.

I am hoping next David Fincher + Atticus Rose + Trent Reznor movie comes soon.
There is a new Denzel movie - Roman J. Israel, Esq. which I would love to see but know it may get limited release in India due to it not being a CG extravaganza.
Old 31st October 2017, 10:31   #6845
BHPian

Since I've been traveling for the past week, had a chance to revisit Deadpool on a flight. It is dark, funny and the levels of self awareness is just insane. I followed it up with Ant Man. Nowhere close to the former but has the most fun storyline in the MCU. I only wish Edgar Wright was still with the franchise.

@Technocrat: I have read the comics of both DC and Marvel. Always felt that DC had better written characters whilst Marvel had the more relevant plots. In terms of the movies, I believe the upcoming Justice League will shape up DCEU going forward. There's some amazing material lying around in the comics unused.

As for the Infinity War, that's just Kevin Fiege happily laughing his way to the bank like Scrooge McDuck. Sure that none of the main characters would be given significant arcs.
Old 31st October 2017, 21:47   #6846
Senior - BHPian

Guys come on. If you watch a movie you don't want to watch just because your friends want to, then I guess the problem is not with the movie.

Movies don't become such huge hits with so many followers just because people have made a habit of watching them. If it was that DC movies would be as big hit.

Marvel makes money because I believe they make super hero movies as they are supposed to be made not bothering about deep meanings or unnecessary darkness. Superhero movies should be fun and marvel nails it more often than not.

@Technocrat, I somehow agree to the assessment of Spiderman to an extent. But I guess Thor would be worth the wait. All reviews so far have been pretty good!
Old 31st October 2017, 21:51   #6847
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
I am in the same boat. Don't want to watch Thor Ragnorak but at the same time,
You got me wrong, I am actually looking forward to watching THOR as I am a fan of the MCU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepyhead148 View Post
@Technocrat: I have read the comics of both DC and Marvel. Always felt that DC had better written characters whilst Marvel had the more relevant plots. In terms of the movies, I believe the upcoming Justice League will shape up DCEU going forward. There's some amazing material lying around in the comics unused.
I agree, DC has had better character, infact many of Marvel's characters have been cheap copy of DC characters. However when it comes to creating a cinematic universe of the comic world Marvel has done a superb job. While Also DC has done a decent job when it comes to animation, be it Superman, Batman or even Justice League but when it comes to movies except for the Dark Knight trilogy(which is a stand alone Masterpiece), all the attempts from WB/DC have been meh and Dawn of justice IMO was probably the worst super hero movie in the last decade.

DC just couldn't manage their DCEU as well as Marvel. Unlike Marvel they have different people play same roles in TV & Movies. There is no continuity in storyline like MCU.

I liked Wonder Woman and that's probably because Zach Snyder wasn't the director. No so sure about Justice League, look at the characters that they picked up for Justice League. No Martian, no green lantern.

The success of JL will depend on how much Joss Wheldon contributed IMO.
Old 31st October 2017, 22:21   #6848
BHPian

Watched 'Jungle' over the weekend, which is based on a true story. First half of the movie is alright, some nice scenic shots and character development.
Second half gets a bit boring with focus on mainly one character. Could have picked someone better for the lead role honestly, would have definitely helped in creating more of a connection.
Worth the watch if you are into true story stuff I suppose.

Old 31st October 2017, 22:30   #6849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
You got me wrong, I am actually looking forward to watching THOR as I am a fan of the MCU.
My mistake. I was a fan of superhero movies and was always keen to watch them whatever the review. But haven't really enjoyed any of the newer movies except for the Gal Gadot starred Wonder Woman which was awesome.
Hope you enjoy the new Thor movie and I would love to read your review of it.

Cheers.
Old 1st November 2017, 11:33   #6850
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROG_AK View Post
Watched 'Jungle' over the weekend, which is based on a true story. First half of the movie is alright, some nice scenic shots and character development.
+1 to what you said. I watched it couple of days back. It lacked the excitement and I expected to see the guide's real intention of taking them to the jungle. Well, considering other "based on true story" movies, this one can be avoided. You know what you expect in this one (a small version of man vs wild).
Old 3rd November 2017, 18:55   #6851
BHPian

Well watched Thor Ragnarok. Lacked the intensity I was expecting. Instead of being a superhero movie with comedy, it was more of a comedy movie with superheroes. Not a very good comedy movie at that (somewhat predictable comedy) . There was only one action scene which was good and the acting was also sub-par. Hulk finally gets more than a couple of lines.
Don't go in with high expectations. It didn't help that some idiots started fighting halfway through the movie disrupting everyone's experience with absolutely no consideration for others.

Overall a 3/5 for me. Didn't get to watch the end credit scenes either due to time constraints.
Old 4th November 2017, 11:18   #6852
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Allied
Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard.
A deeply moving film of humanity in WW2.
Lovely lovely film. Fantastic recreation of the period right down to the music and light filters.
I though this was not mentioned here, but trust you to have found it
I saw this yesterday, stumbled upon it on amazon prime. It is just brilliant. I usually avoid tear-jerkers completely, but I did not expect this to be so hard at the end. Watched it throughout because it was a War sandwich, but that end was brutal.
PS: Trust an american war movie to somehow always make the Brit/European the villain.
5/5

I have one for you, "Their Finest". This one also slipped under the radar for the majority.
Old 4th November 2017, 12:40   #6853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
.. I have one for you, "Their Finest". This one also slipped under the radar for the majority.
Loved this movie. Found it better than Dunkirk honestly! You can call it the other side of Dunkirk.
Old 4th November 2017, 18:50   #6854
Team-BHP Support

Don't miss Bill Maher's epic rant about driving in movies....

Old 9th November 2017, 20:59   #6855
Senior - BHPian

Watched THOR - RAGNORAK - Loved it, great humor in the movie and some great Thor special moments some of which we have seen before(But portrayed better in this movie) and some not seen one specifically the Lightning ones.

There are some hilarious moments one of which is by a Top Hollywood actor who is not part of the franchise and is just doing a Cameo but the whole hall burst into laughter.

You get to see some nice Hulk Moments and Dr Strange plays a small but important part

There are some serious moments too, some scenes have been stylized a little more than needed but that wasn't at bothering levels.

One tip for anyone watching would be to brush up on where all the story lines on Asgardians ended would help connecting the dots, like where did Loki go and what happened to their father in last movies

Yes there is a post credit scene which(I think) gives a hint at the next Avengers movie.

4.5/5

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks