Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th April 2017, 00:55   #6706
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

The Man from Earth

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0756683/

Genre- Sci-fi Drama Thriller

9/10

A Perfect Sci-fi Theme with no CGI or VFX or Big Budget. The mere plot line will leave you with a bated breath. As the story unravels, you'd feel as excited as a child and every single word of the script will make you think...

Just go for it .
Old 14th April 2017, 10:35   #6707
BHPian

Arrival

Watched it recently although it's released in the last year.

I liked the slow narration. 'Language' is my interest item , so it was a treat to watch this movie.

I am greatly liking the work of Denis Villeneuve, who has directed this movie. His earlier films - Sicario & Prisoners - were also good. I must have watched Sicario a number of times & yet I not done with it.

Rating it 4/5 .

Last edited by ritzy : 14th April 2017 at 10:40.
Old 14th April 2017, 10:39   #6708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
The Man from Earth

9/10

A Perfect Sci-fi Theme with no CGI or VFX or Big Budget. The mere plot line will leave you with a bated breath. As the story unravels, you'd feel as excited as a child and every single word of the script will make you think...

Just go for it .
One of my all time favourite. A must watch for everyone who loves a great script. The amazing thing is 90% movie shoots in one single room and still keeps you captivated all along.
Old 14th April 2017, 10:49   #6709
BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
The Man from Earth

9/10

Just go for it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
One of my all time favourite. A must watch for everyone who loves a great script. The amazing thing is 90% movie shoots in one single room and still keeps you captivated all along.

Count me in too! I had got recommendation for the "Man from Earth" from this very thread. A must watch I should say.

It's one my favourite movies, the other being Alfred Hitchcock's Pyscho(though a different genre).

I got goosebumps during the murder scene in Pyscho. Alfred Hitchcock did a commendable job directing the film. Worth a watch.

Last edited by dean5545 : 14th April 2017 at 10:51.
Old 24th April 2017, 13:05   #6710
Senior - BHPian

The Boss Baby Rating - 3/5

Its a nice & sweet movie, but its purely a kids' movie. It is not like the legendary WALL-E or Happy Feet kind of animated movies, where the movie is for all ages and has a strong message.

But you must take your kids because they will really enjoy the movie, with some really funny comic scenes. By the way, the 3D effects are pretty good, so watch in 3D only.
Old 24th April 2017, 22:05   #6711
BHPian

Quote:
The Man from Earth
9/10
Just go for it .
Quote:
Folks... thanks for the suggestion
Just watched the movie. What a wonderful little gem. Brilliant.
Old 24th April 2017, 23:12   #6712
BHPian

Watched "Gifted" last week. Wonderful movie although I was the only one in the theater . I went for the pop corn to a 5:30 show and was surprised.
Old 25th April 2017, 09:45   #6713
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The Man from Earth

9/10

Just go for it .
I decided to watch this movie one night when I sleepy, thinking that I will sleep somewhere midway. Once I was 10 minutes into the movie, I couldn't think about taking a small re-hydration break as I was so engrossed. Totally loved this simple movie with an awesome plot.

Another movie I liked was "The Game". Michael Douglas has done a good job in the movie.
Old 25th April 2017, 10:45   #6714
BHPian

Quote:
And there aren't some cars, almost every car you can think of is there. Masala stuff aside its a must watch for a car enthusiast.
Yes. Even Jeep Compass and Grand Cheerokee for a couple of seconds, not in any race or chase though, if I am not mistaken.
On a lighter note Fiat should take clips of it and advertise it.
It is good one time watch even in 2D though I watched in 3D.

Last edited by HydroFuel : 25th April 2017 at 10:57.
Old 28th April 2017, 14:20   #6715
BHPian

Guys,

I had a query. The last 2 English movies that I have watched at the theatre were 'Sully' and 'Beauty and the Beast' and on both ocassions the theatre was hardly full. There were 11 people who turned up for 'Sully' and 16
for 'Beauty and the beast'.

This poor attendance gets me thinking on 2 counts ::

1. Is this a common phenomenon ? OR as a nation we have lost the plot and only go for crap masala bollywood potboilers
2. How do the theatres attain the revenue from such poor attendance in English movie shows.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 28th April 2017, 14:59   #6716
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Yes. Even Jeep Compass and Grand Cheerokee for a couple of seconds, not in any race or chase though, if I am not mistaken.
It is good one time watch even in 2D though I watched in 3D.
Good spotting. Indeed they were there.
I saw it in 2d. Can't stand 3d and hate the fact when I have to see it cos there are no shows in 2d.

Saw 'Nerve' yesterday night. Interesting and gripping. Sometimes over the top and a little far fetched but a good try nonetheless. Will rate it - 7/10.
Old 28th April 2017, 18:35   #6717
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
As long as they don't include scenes where the cars get hacked. Almost all of the cars getting hacked were FCA products. Did anyone notice that?
Old 3rd May 2017, 03:00   #6718
Distinguished - BHPian

Rented "In Bruges” yesterday from our cable provider. Excellent movie. Really enjoyed it. Bit dark comedy, but still, very enjoyable and some great moments in this simple movie shot in Bruges, Belgium

Jeroen
Old 4th May 2017, 02:47   #6719

Quote:
I really want to thank you with all the sincerity that I can muster for recommending this movie. The most scintillating and intellectually stimulating movie that I have watched in my entire, (admittedly very short) 37 year old life . What a mindblowing concept and a perfect, uncluttered execution!

Interestingly, my favorite movie prior to watching this one was 12 Angry Men - and even there, the entire story, coincidentally unfolds in a room.

Thank you once again!
Old 5th May 2017, 08:40   #6720
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
This poor attendance gets me thinking on 2 counts ::

1. Is this a common phenomenon ? OR as a nation we have lost the plot and only go for crap masala bollywood potboilers
2. How do the theatres attain the revenue from such poor attendance in English movie shows.
1. Quite common yes, as you said Indian movies are the favourite of Indians, and its the same for every region, states in south watch their regional movies and of course bollywood is watched all over since it is the most promoted. The fault also lies with the promoters of English movies here, its almost as if they don't want to promote the movie - Lion had a simple advert in the newspaper, I thought its some low-budget drama, little did I know that it was Oscar-material. Also majority of the younger countrymen here watch animated movies or stuff like comic-based movies (Marvel/DC), we sure are not into slower/intelligent cinema, as yet. Of course such movies do not break the box office even in America, I loved a movie called Camp X-Ray, great cast, finest acting possible and a beautiful storyline, heart wrenchingly good.. it brought in under 10 $ million worldwide. YIKES.

2. It must be loss making for theatres no doubt, they count on numbers to make money, but I guess they will be forced to show it as distributors supply it to them, Salman Khan movies work in India, period. Everyone gets their money (crores of it) and we go home with a brain aneurysm.

On-topic, I watched Arnie's latest movie Aftermath, as predicted it turned out to be another disaster, well not entirely but the movie is so predictable, if you watch the trailer that is basically it, plus another 10 minutes of the ending. Lionsgate has been Arnie's employer since his retirement from politics and I feel its truly only a money-making relationship, the producers use his star power to feed a useless storyline and he uses them for the cheque.

Last edited by dark.knight : 5th May 2017 at 08:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks