Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2021, 12:23   #8206
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched "The Talented Mr. Ripley" (1999) on Netflix yesterday. Used to be talked about as a classic at one point of time. Personally felt it was quite underwhelming. Maybe because it's 2021 today and this movie is of a bygone era. Only some films truly age well, IMHO.
IamNikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 15:49   #8207
BHPian

Heat (1995)

I remember watching this way back in ‘97 or ‘98, and like any self-respecting 17 year old, I was smitten by the atmosphere, the high octane bank robbery sequence, and Val Kilmer’s golden locks.

While all of that still holds good (especially the shootout, that’s some edge of your seat cinema!) - I now also see it for what it really is. A study of deeply violent men who are on opposite sides of the law/morality conundrum, and yet with their obsessive, compulsive need for perfection in their chosen profession, share much more in common with each other than with the other people in their lives. Al Pacino and De Niro play off each other in a game of cat and mouse, and there’s enough depth to each of the supporting characters so that we care for them, even when they are sociopathic bank robbers.

The script, the direction, the acting, the cinematography are all top notch. 26 years on, Heat (1995) still looks like it could have been made yesterday and remains an incredibly compelling crime drama / heist movie.

Streaming on Prime Video.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-83ae63dc70b94071b50ec3e9dae1649e.jpeg  

Pequod is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 17:46   #8208
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequod View Post
Heat (1995)

I remember watching this way back in ‘97 or ‘98, and like any self-respecting 17 year old, I was smitten by the atmosphere, the high octane bank robbery sequence, and Val Kilmer’s golden locks.
I enjoy watching this now and then. I love Robert De Niro playing the classy but ruthless gangster. You see him in "The Score" and also in "Ronin".
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 00:36   #8209
BHPian

Pixar went back to their roots and created an amazing movie. A beautiful animated movie with a lot of heart and soul. Stunning animation and very well laid out character driven story. A must watch for all who enjoys heartwarming animated movies. And for a Petrolheads delight, a Vespa has a huge role in the movie.
4 out of 5 stars.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-lucaposter.jpg  

PJ1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:34   #8210
Distinguished - BHPian

Jungle Cruise

Synopsis - Dr. Lily Houghton enlists the aid of wisecracking skipper Frank Wolff to take her down the Amazon in his ramshackle boat. Together, they search for an ancient tree that holds the power to heal -- a discovery that will change the future of medicine.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-scale.jpg

It was a decent watch. Can't compare with Indiana Jones/National Treasure but it's enjoyable. It somehow reminded me of Anaconda - Hunt for Blood Orchid.

Rating - 4/5

F9 (Fast and Furious)

Synopsis - Dom Toretto is living the quiet life off the grid with Letty and his son, but they know that danger always lurks just over the peaceful horizon. This time, that threat forces Dom to confront the sins of his past to save those he loves most. His crew soon comes together to stop a world-shattering plot by the most skilled assassin and high-performance driver they've ever encountered -- Dom's forsaken brother.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-f9.jpg

Now, where is this movie going? I won't be surprised if they become superheroes eventually. Tyrese Gibson points out something that I have been thinking for few years now after watching the franchise - "Are we invincible"? These guys never get shot or die. Anyhow, pathetic movie.

Rating - 1/5 (rating is for the cars)
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:12   #8211
Senior - BHPian

Jungle Cruise:

Was a fun adventure movie to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon

3.5/5

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard:

While i really liked the first one, this one got on my nerves and i just wanted it to end :(

2/5
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:04   #8212
BHPian

Heat 4/5
Playing on: Amazon Prime

Thank you for this suggestion.

This highly charged crime thriller is creamed with the first ever on-screen pairing of all time greats De Niro and Pacino (they never shared the screen in Godfather II). A tantalizing prospect in itself.

The basic storyline is familiar. Vincent (Pacino) is a police officer investigating a series of crimes committed by Neil's (De Niro) group of trained, experienced robbers. Now, with the cops closing in, the criminals have decided to call it quits after one more big-time job. Meanwhile, both men - good guy and bad guy - are having personal problems. Vincent's marriage is falling apart and Neil, after decades of loneliness, has finally found a woman with whom he connects. All of these elements are, of course, brought crashing together for the final act.

Pacino and De Niro are exemplary with their performance, and they strike admirably different courses through the film (Personally De Niro's vulnerable mastermind is the winner) and although they only meet twice in the film, the scenes are crucial and hair-tinglingly charged.

Must Watch for those who like a soulful Heist Movie with more dialogues & mind games over action sequences.

One Request to all: While mentioning the movie, kindly also mention the platform/ source of viewing the movie. Lately with WFH, most of us are running out of good movies and watching many the 2nd or 3rd time, so this will help.
VWAllstar is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 18:43   #8213
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Saw 'Nobody' 2021 and found it to be over-hyped. A rare time I disagree with IMDB (7.4) and Rotten Tomatoes (94%). A brainless action flick with a lot of Hindi movie-style action scenes that are a bit unbelievable. Wasted $6 on Amazon.com.

Would rate it 3 / 5 stars at best.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 00:47   #8214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Heat 4/5
Playing on: Amazon Prime

Thank you for this suggestion.

One Request to all: While mentioning the movie, kindly also mention the platform/ source of viewing the movie. Lately with WFH, most of us are running out of good movies and watching many the 2nd or 3rd time, so this will help.
I have mentioned this in thread before too but let me say it again, please download Just Watch app. It will show you the streaming site where the mentioned Tv show or movie is playing. If it isn't available on any platform then it's obviously downloaded by others. Also, you can get tons of suggestions on that app. Quite helpful.

Btw, if you enjoyed heat I will recommend you Scarface by Al Pacino.
Also if you haven't see The Score by Robert di niro then do give it a watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Jungle Cruise:

Was a fun adventure movie to watch on a lazy Sunday afternoon

3.5/5

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard:

While i really liked the first one, this one got on my nerves and i just wanted it to end :(

2/5
Likewise. First one was fun. This was pure torture with endless cliches and repetitive dialogues. I couldn't tolerate Samuel L Jackson overacting his part in most of the scenes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Saw 'Nobody' 2021 and found it to be over-hyped. A rare time I disagree with IMDB (7.4) and Rotten Tomatoes (94%). A brainless action flick with a lot of Hindi movie-style action scenes that are a bit unbelievable. Wasted $6 on Amazon.com.

Would rate it 3 / 5 stars at best.
It got popular cos it had fan favourite Bob Odenkirk ( Breaking bad and Better Call Saul famed) starring as lead. Story wise it's weak, action is John Wick styled. Such movies defy any Logic and should be looked as only one time watch.

Last edited by harry10 : 3rd August 2021 at 00:50.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:01   #8215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Likewise. First one was fun. This was pure torture with endless cliches and repetitive dialogues. I couldn't tolerate Samuel L Jackson overacting his part in most of the scenes.

It got popular cos it had fan favourite Bob Odenkirk ( Breaking bad and Better Call Saul famed) starring as lead. Story wise it's weak, action is John Wick styled. Such movies defy any Logic and should be looked as only one time watch.
Me? I wish i could have muted Salma Hayek

Yeah, Nobody was a decent one time watch. No storyline, decent action and good soundtrack
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:33   #8216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ1987 View Post
Pixar went back to their roots and created an amazing movie. A beautiful animated movie with a lot of heart and soul. Stunning animation and very well laid out character driven story. A must watch for all who enjoys heartwarming animated movies. And for a Petrolheads delight, a Vespa has a huge role in the movie.
4 out of 5 stars.
I have always been a fan of animated movies. This one was awesome movie. Watched one after a long gap. Loved it!

Thank you for sharing
Old 3rd August 2021, 17:45   #8217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillon View Post
I have always been a fan of animated movies. This one was awesome movie. Watched one after a long gap. Loved it!

Thank you for sharing
Then you will definitely enjoy the next one I am posting. Thanks man.

Wish Dragon (Produced by our own Jackie Chan)

This is a story that has been told countless times in various guises but the movie is well worth a watch. It is funny, light hearted and has a good message. It addesses a social class aspect which we Indians can very much relate to. Nice visuals and you will enjoy watching this one with your kids.

You can find this movie on Netflix.

3.5/5 stars.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mv5bndg0n2niztatzwvjny00ymjllwi0ndktmjfkmmrizgiynzrmxkeyxkfqcgdeqxvymta1otcyndq4._v1_.jpg  

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 3rd August 2021 at 17:51.
PJ1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2021, 19:40   #8218
Team-BHP Support

This may be bit of a spoiler if you have not seen Raiders of the Lost Ark. After writing the last 10th grade exam, about a dozen of us classmates went to watch this movie on the same evening. It was in March 1984. Loved the movie and have watched many many time since then.

I just discovered there was a major hole in the story... had never thought about it.

Samurai is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th August 2021, 20:21   #8219
BHPian

The Suicide Squad by James Gunn.

This movie really exceeded my expectations. A fantastic soft reboot of The original Suicide Squad by David Ayer and one of the best DCEU films to date. Stallone's King Shark and Cena's Peacemaker stole the show. It has a wonderful story ark for Elba's Bloodspot too. Overall a brilliantly executed, witty Comic book Super hero movie.

4/5 Stars

Watch this on HBO Max.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mv5bngm3yzdlowytnjvizs00mte2lwe1mwutzme2ztcxzjcymmu3xkeyxkfqcgdeqxvyodeymti1mja._v1_.jpg  

PJ1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2021, 11:41   #8220
BHPian

If you are looking for some witty movie with superb direction please watch "The Duke"
This is based on a true story set in 1960's and about a stolen art piece.

Masterful performance by Jim Broadbent. Very sweet movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Du...2020_film).jpg

I am a big fan of Sriram Raghavan and he has recently shared his recommendations.

Does anyone know where to "darkness in tallinn"?

Thanks in advance

https://www.filmcompanion.in/intervi...ere-mahanadhi/

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks