Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2021, 09:07   #8146
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neelkumar View Post
All right! You all made your point. I'm watching "The Man from Earth" again.

Such an amazing movie that is. Entire thing is shot in a single room. For those who haven't watched it, I guarantee, you would be in that room as well. And if you are anything like me, you would stay there for another couple days.
Is it available to stream anywhere?
AnandB is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 09:35   #8147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandB View Post
Is it available to stream anywhere?
Couldn't find it on Prime or Netflix, but it's available on YouTube.
neelkumar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 14:26   #8148
Distinguished - BHPian

Black Widow - 1/5

Utterly disappointed - seems like Marvel made this from scraps of the budgets they had for other movies. The story seems way disconnected from the Marvel universe considering this is supposed to happen after "captain america civil war" but except for the initial 5 mins, there is no reference or connection made.

What's unfortunate is the poor use of brilliant actors like Rachel Weisz and David Harbour (of Stranger Things fame) as side characters. All the actors seem bored, including the villains. The only only interesting part is the second post-credits scene which obviously sets the connection for one of the next movie.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 16:22   #8149
Senior - BHPian

The Man From Earth - worthy of all the accolades it has received on this thread and elsewhere.

The story is outrageous; but it is a story that overarches all other stories of mankind: an unimaginable continuum: the story of a man who transcends time and space.

You enter the movie as a normal mortal and come out a skeptic - nay a Jijnasu/Jignasu.

A well spent 90 minutes.

(Call it a coincidence, but after putting it down half-finished a couple of years ago, I happened to revisit a huge book called SARUM just last week and now this movie!

Life is not fair, or is it?)
dailydriver is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 20:13   #8150
Senior - BHPian

A Quiet Place 2

Thoroughly entertaining. Not a single dull moment. Though first one was better with its intense scenes. The way this ended I believe there will be a 3rd part too.

Rating - 4/5
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 20:26   #8151
BHPian

I watched The Man from Earth earlier today after so many mentions and what a wonderful movie. Perfect example why if you have a good plot and writing and great actors, you don't need big budgets.

4.5/5.

This led me to search for similar movies and i just finished Coherence (2013). And its another good one if you like suspense with sci-fi elements. This is another movie that was made with $50k budget and the actors didn't know the whole script or even their individual script and were told as it was filmed. Made for good acting and expressions.

4/5.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th July 2021 at 15:01. Reason: As requested
AnandB is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 14:38   #8152
BHPian

Quote:
This led me to search for similar movies and i just finished Coherence (2013). And its another grwww.google-analytics.if you like suspense with sci-fi elements. This is another movie that was made with $50k budget and the actors didn't know the whole script or even their individual script and were told as it was filmed. Made for good acting and expressions.

4/5.
This is such a brilliant recommendation! I absolutely loved it. Thanks again
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2021, 16:53   #8153
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to all the folks for recommending "The Man From Earth". Didn't notice the time spent watching it. It simply was that good

There seems to be a sequel as well but going by reviews i guess i should be safe to give it a skip though curiosity might get the better of me
Old 14th July 2021, 17:13   #8154
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Thanks to all the folks for recommending "The Man From Earth". Didn't notice the time spent watching it. It simply was that good
The first time I watched this movie, I had very little expectation. One night, started this around 12am as I wasn't very sleepy and was looking for a filler till I feel asleep. I was hoping I will watch for few minutes and sleep.

By the end of the movie, I had lost all sleep and was wide awake. Since then, it has been a top recommend from me whoever asks for a movie suggestion.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 08:27   #8155
Senior - BHPian

Probably don't need to mention about Mad Max Fury Road since all of us are petrol heads here but my rating after watching it umpteenth time, most recently on Netflix : 5/5.
For me it is in top 3 movies of the last decade.
Old 15th July 2021, 08:50   #8156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Coherence (2013). And its another good one if you like suspense with sci-fi elements.
Thanks a lot for this recomendation, a big from my end as well. A must watch if you liked Man from Earth.
procrj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 15:33   #8157
BHPian

I have watched some more movies since i started the binge with The Man from Earth.

Mr. Nobody (2009)
Quote:
A boy stands on a station platform as a train is about to leave. Should he go with his mother or stay with his father? Infinite possibilities arise from this decision. As long as he doesn't choose, anything is possible.
Sounds interesting from the synopsis but it was meh for me. A bit too long too. 3/5.

Travelling Salesman (2012)
Quote:
It tells the story of four mathematicians hired by the US government to solve P vs NP and the team have to consider the moral repercussions of giving one government sole ownership of their solution.
Similar style with TMfE, with 4 people and a govt rep discussing. It was decent. 3/5.

Nobody (2021)
Quote:
A bystander who intervenes to help a woman being harassed by a group of men becomes the target of a vengeful drug lord.
Mr. Nobody reminded me of Nobody which had caught my attention months back as it had our Saul Goodman being John Wick. Good action flick. 4/5.

Knives Out (2019)
Quote:
A detective investigates the death of a patriarch of an eccentric, combative family.
I had yet to watch this since its critical acclaim and news of netflix paying $450m for its 2 sequels. Murder-mystery is also my favourite book genre along with sci-fi. Great watch. 4/5.

Memories of Murder (2003)
Quote:
In a small Korean province in 1986, two detectives struggle with the case of multiple young women being found raped and murdered by an unknown culprit.
Another real-life murder mystery i had wanted to watch since i enjoyed Parasite last year. Bong Joon Ho doesn't disappoint and its another good Korean flick. 4/5.

Last edited by AnandB : 15th July 2021 at 15:38.
AnandB is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 19:33   #8158
Senior - BHPian

Gunpowder Milkshake:

Turned out to be a fun enough movie. Would rate it a 3/5
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 22:13   #8159
Distinguished - BHPian

I recently watched The Imitation Game
Nice one. The encryption and the math behind it are difficult to cover in a film so it's always about the drama around such things and the pressures of the situation.

One contradiction I noticed was in the interview for the job, Turing mentions he has no political affiliation/opinion and wants to get involved simply for the algorithmic challenge. But later on, after the enigma code is broken, he is shown making decisions about which information to act on and which to let go (to keep the Germans from finding out) in turn deciding who to save and who to sacrifice!

I would say 4/5 (of course, it's an old and famous movie and most people must have watched already).
anandpadhye is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 22:43   #8160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
Gunpowder Milkshake
Where did you watch the movie please? I checked Netflix, Amazon Prime and Disney+ Hotstar, it doesn’t feature anywhere.

Thank you.

Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks