Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2021, 16:58   #8026
Team-BHP Support

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarNerd View Post
The Lie (2018) This movie is about a couple trying to save their daughter who pushed her friend off a bridge intentionally.
OK but is it worth watching? How would you rate it?
Old 5th May 2021, 17:11   #8027
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
OK but is it worth watching? How would you rate it?
I found it engaging and I would rate it 3.5. Please let me know about your experience or
Old 5th May 2021, 17:42   #8028
BHPian

Quote:
Hush (2016) A movie about a deaf and mute woman who is a writer. A masked killer appears at her home
Quote:
The Lie (2018) This movie is about a couple trying to save their daughter who pushed her friend off a bridge intentionally.
A humble request here: please write a few lines about whether you have seen it and liked it, are you recommending it or are you asking us to avoid it. Currently, it reads as if you have just copy-pasted the lines from somewhere and it is not clear if you have actually watched the movie. If you can mention the platform on which it is available, that would be great too.
pnredkar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 17:52   #8029
Senior - BHPian

The Courier:

Good acting by the two main protagonists but for a movie on the cuban missile crisis i still think Thirteen Days was a better movie.

But in these times of scarce movies, it was a good watch.

3/5
Old 5th May 2021, 18:34   #8030
BHPian

One of my favourite movies is Duel (1971) directed by Steven Speilberg. It's a story of a man travelling in his car who encounters a truck driver. I have watched it in the past and thought of sharing it. This movie is available on YouTube.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-images-32.jpeg  

Last edited by CarNerd : 5th May 2021 at 18:42.
CarNerd is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 19:32   #8031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
A humble request here: please write a few lines about whether you have seen it and liked it, are you recommending it or are you asking us to avoid it. Currently, it reads as if you have just copy-pasted the lines from somewhere and it is not clear if you have actually watched the movie. If you can mention the platform on which it is available, that would be great too.
Of course I have watched them and found them worth sharing. I didn't rate them as I thought it wouldn't make a difference. You see I like John Wick but you may not .

And I'm sorry, I forgot to mention the platforms: Hush is on Netflix and The Lie is on Amazon Prime. I'll keep that in mind.
CarNerd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 20:15   #8032
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One of my favourite movies is Duel (1971) directed by Steven Speilberg. It's a story of a man travelling in his car who encounters a truck driver. I have watched it in the past and thought of sharing it. This movie is available on YouTube.
This is a really good movie! I think one of our members recommended this about a year ago in this same thread and I caught it on YouTube too. One of the earliest movies of Steven Spielberg, not sure if it was his debut directorial. But a very good road movie. You have to just understand that this was shot in the 70s so do not expect production values of this decade, but other wise a very good watch.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2021, 19:32   #8033
BHPian

A Quiet Place (2018) It's a Horror Thriller movie about a family who lives in fear of unknown creatures. I have watched it in the past and I liked it. I suggest you watch it in a quiet place at night I think I had seen it on Amazon Prime but now only the dubbed version is available. There's a sequel coming on May 28 this year.
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-images-33.jpeg  

Old 6th May 2021, 21:09   #8034
BHPian

Re: The TV / Streaming shows thread (no spoilers please)

A Most Wanted Man

Espionage thriller film based on John le Carré's novel of the same name, it was one of Philip Seymour Hoffman's last films before his death.

Watch it on Prime.
Old 9th May 2021, 17:57   #8035
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Tempted at the horror movie suggestions, but will avoid. I am frequently alone on the top floor of my building and / or the terrace as well. While these movies provide 90 minutes of fun, they sure leave you with funny thoughts for 2 weeks after that. My brother made me watch some horror flick and in one of the scenes, a ghost came from under the bed and pulled the legs of a dude sleeping. For a couple of days after seeing that movie, I used to tuck my legs tight inside my blanket

Anyways! I see that one of my favourite movies - The Blind Side - has arrived on Netflix. Watch it tonight, guys. Great (true) story about a rich woman taking in a poor kid who has unique talents. Sandra Bullock is just awesome. A 5 / 5 star flick.

GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 18:52   #8036
Senior - BHPian

Ghosts of war:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6508228/

"Five American soldiers assigned to hold a French Chateau near the end of World War II. This unexpected respite quickly descends into madness when they encounter a supernatural enemy more terrifying than anything seen on the battlefield."

Was a decent movie and was nicely acted and didn't feel sluggish.

2.5/5

The Last Exorcism:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1320244/

"A troubled evangelical minister agrees to let his last exorcism be filmed by a documentary crew."

It was a nice enough horror flick, but for some reason it left both my wife and i a bit unsettled.

3.5/5
Old 9th May 2021, 21:42   #8037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Anyways! I see that one of my favourite movies - The Blind Side - has arrived on Netflix. Watch it tonight, guys. Great (true) story about a rich woman taking in a poor kid who has unique talents. Sandra Bullock is just awesome. A 5 / 5 star flick.
Totally agree.
A 5/5 from my side too. Great acting all around with tight storyline + direction. Definitely will pull up your spirits !!
nitinkbhaskar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2021, 22:49   #8038
Senior - BHPian

Got a chance to watch Split (2016) recently and this movie is one fine one from M. Night Shyamalan & would give it 4/5 easily. Brilliant performance by both James McAvoy & Anya Taylor-Joy and definitely worth a watch. The story builds up in a fine momentum and is engaging to watch throughout.

Quote:
Tempted at the horror movie suggestions, but will avoid. I am frequently alone on the top floor of my building and / or the terrace as well. While these movies provide 90 minutes of fun, they sure leave you with funny thoughts for 2 weeks after that. My brother made me watch some horror flick and in one of the scenes, a ghost came from under the bed and pulled the legs of a dude sleeping. For a couple of days after seeing that movie, I used to tuck my legs tight inside my blanket
And I thought I was the only one ! As a kid I would get scared by those Indian movies in which white saree clad ladies would come out at night & Japanese stuff such as the grudge series. As an adult I thought that was all behind me, till some of us went to see conjuring 2 (2016) in the theatre. That was basically a nightmare and promised myself never to watch another horror movie in the theatres, as unlike watching a horror movie at home, the theatre effect amplifies the horror ! I have heard older generations saying that for them The Exorcist (1973) was the benchmark in horror. I guess for millennials like me that would be Conjuring 2 !

Last edited by TrackDay : 9th May 2021 at 22:55.
TrackDay is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 00:09   #8039
BHPian

Private life - Netflix

The poster is a nice representation of a glimpse of the storyline. A slice of life drama.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-31a64ae0a9284554a710b57ba65fe823.jpeg
carthick1000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2021, 10:05   #8040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tempted at the horror movie suggestions, but will avoid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
I have heard older generations saying that for them The Exorcist (1973) was the benchmark in horror. I guess for millennials like me that would be Conjuring 2 !
In addition to Exorcist, which is a well known classic, I would also rate The Omen (1976) as right up among the toppers in the list of classic horror movies. There are no "slapstick" ghosts running around as in many modern day movies, but this is more about core concepts of religion and anti-religion. A must watch with a stellar performance by the legend Gregory Peck. Do watch since its easily available on Youtube, in case you are a fan of subtle horror which will give you the creeps and keep you thinking days on end.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks