Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2021, 22:58   #7966
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
For everyone waiting for TENET, it's streaming now on Amazon Prime Video.
In time for the long weekend
Old 1st April 2021, 16:57   #7967
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For everyone waiting for TENET, it's streaming now on Amazon Prime Video.
Finished watching it. Good movie, good pace. Need to watch it again so as to link different plots happening in different time frames! All the while watching John David Washington, I felt there was some resemblance in some of his moves - catching his belt while walking away for instance, that action was exact copy of Denzel Washington. Later I googled and was surprised to see that he is, in reality, son of Denzel Washington!
BoneCollector is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 18:15   #7968
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Later I googled and was surprised to see that he is, in reality, son of Denzel Washington!
Good catch Bone Collector! I didn’t make the connection you pointed out while watching the movie. I found him quite ineffective in his role and would have preferred a good actor in his place. In my opinion another Son who is no patch on the Father, not even close. Robert Pattison gave a good mature performance and Kenneth Branagh redeemed himself very well too as Sator.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2021, 19:32   #7969
BHPian

Watched this movie, The Mauritanian a couple of days ago. Would give it a 3.5/5 rating, judging just as a movie, because it does not have a very sharp climax. But, it is a real life, heart touching story of Mohamedou Ould Salahi. I would highly recommend watching it for the story itself.

The story brings forth many issues such as how irrational public anger results in disasters, why everyone should be given equal rights of trial before the court and the need to make military activities more transparent. The movie is set in USA and focuses on one individual, but countries all around the world do suffer from the same problems albiet to different extents.
YD14 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2021, 20:26   #7970
BHPian

Watched Godzilla vs Kong. Its a simple but good movie and is essentially a WWE match between Godzilla and Kong with just enough plot needed to keep the fights going and later has to team up to fight a 3rd one. (again like the WWE scripted fights)

The focus is very much on the Monsters and there are no annoying human characters like previous films in the series.

Overall a Fun watch worth your time.

Rating 4/5 (Becuase it delivers everything it promised with no complicated plot points/twists and gives you everything that you expect going into the movie. Nothing more, nothing less.)
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 00:23   #7971
BHPian

Saw 'The Marshland(2014)' as I read about it few pages back on this thread. Didn't know when I started watching it, but found its plot to have an uncanny resemblance with Bong Joon Ho's ("Parasite"fame) 'Memories of Murder(2003)', which is a far better execution of the nearly same plot. Found Marshland (With all its plus points- Cinematography included) to be underwhelming in comparison. Strongly recommend Memories of Murder for Marshland fans- 4.5/5.
Old 10th April 2021, 09:56   #7972
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Nomadland: 4.5 / 5

There are movies and then there are documentaries. But the best of the lot is when a documentary is made in a movie style mode and the characters literally call out to you. Those are the movies that move you, even if you don't really completely comprehend the reality of the situation being depicted in front of you.
Man, what a movie! Thanks a ton for the recommendation. This is easily the best watch of 2021 so far. Frances McDormand is exceptional as always, but even the supporting cast is A+. Very realistic movie as I've read a lot about the homeless living in cars / vans. Movie reminds us just how blessed we are to have this roof over our heads.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 15:01   #7973
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Man, what a movie! Thanks a ton for the recommendation. This is easily the best watch of 2021 so far. Frances McDormand is exceptional as always, but even the supporting cast is A+. Very realistic movie as I've read a lot about the homeless living in cars / vans. Movie reminds us just how blessed we are to have this roof over our heads.
Which streaming platform are you guys watching this on?
Old 10th April 2021, 16:11   #7974
BHPian

Watched following recently

1) The Truman Show: I will rate it 3.5/5. its a light movie, revolving around life of Mr Truman, played by Jim Carrey, who is unaware that his daily life is nothing but a show.
Jim Carrey is great fit for this role. Good performance by him as one would expect.

2) The Founder: 4/5. Its a story of how MacDonalds became what it is today. Excellent acting by Micheal Keaton, he is playing role of an American business man.
You connect with the story immediately as it shows how the burger, we love so much, is prepared.

3) 7 years in Tibet: 2.5/5. Story is of a mountaineer, who is forced to go to Tibet and stay there because his country is at war. Its a slow movie, I did not like that much.
INJAXN is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 19:57   #7975
Team-BHP Support

There was a time I used to wait for Oscar nominations to find out the gems I might have missed watching. But these days I don't care about Oscar nominated movies. They are generally depressing movies. Today Bill Maher summed it perfectly for me.

Samurai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 11:27   #7976
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhushan08 View Post
Which streaming platform are you guys watching this on?
I saw it via a USA account on Hulu. Try to get it from any friends or family. I watch movies on Amazon USA & Hulu all the time.
Old 12th April 2021, 11:37   #7977
BHPian

Watched Find me Guilty on Amazon Prime. It’s a movie about a gangster, played by Vin Diesel, who defends himself in the court in the longest criminal trial in the US history. Vin Diesel was a treat to watch in this movie. Also, the arguments made in the Court were actual and some of them were hilarious.
However, I expected a little more from Peter Dinklage in his role as a lawyer. I was looking forward to watch him as a lawyer onscreen.
Despite this, I would give 4/5 rating.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-ba58443a48e34f04b7950c898bf86fff.jpeg
sahil624 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2021, 13:26   #7978
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
There was a time I used to wait for Oscar nominations to find out the gems I might have missed watching. But these days I don't care about Oscar nominated movies. They are generally depressing movies. Today Bill Maher summed it perfectly for me.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=4AK-vrk9R-s
"In all honesty I must ask: if you movie is so woke, how come I'm falling asleep?"
noopster is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 09:24   #7979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But these days I don't care about Oscar nominated movies. They are generally depressing movies. Today Bill Maher summed it perfectly for me.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=4AK-vrk9R-s
We are still in the middle of the pandemic. The situation of the monetary divide between the have and have-nots across every country is huge (so properly shown in Nomadland). I'm happy atleast someone in the movie industry is taking pains to represent every part of the world - I'm surprised a documentary movie about the pandemic didn't make the cut (2022 Oscars maybe?).

Sorry, that's a very stupid take of the current situation of the world. It's like the ridiculous folks I find on Twitter and other social media talking with full enthu about the IPL while the pandemic is at full steam in the same country and people are dying by the thousands. In a more well managed country, stadiums get used as temporary medical setups (vaccinations, testing, etc.). Here we celebrate it playing IPL as if everything is normal outside the stadium

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th April 2021 at 09:29.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:19   #7980
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
We are still in the middle of the pandemic. The situation of the monetary divide between the have and have-nots across every country is huge (so properly shown in Nomadland).
You need to see a movie for seeing that situation? I don't need to watch movies for that.

I personally know so many in dire straits, due to the pandemic. It is a tragedy all around, my autistic son has not received proper therapy in over a year, the online therapy is very inadequate. Since he is cooped up all the time, he goes on uncontrolled screaming rampage at least twice week. We are getting very depressed about how bad it will get if his therapy is not restored soon. I won't even mention all the others in close family who have lost jobs, lost lives, etc.

So, movies are the only way we can forget the worries and get some smile on our faces. This is our only escape now.

You should look around more, talk to people, before calling people like me stupid for escaping reality for couple hours. If you want to virtue signal, please find some other avenue.

Last edited by Samurai : 19th April 2021 at 10:28.
Samurai is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks