Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2021, 10:38   #7981
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Nobody:

Just a plain ol action flick. Good action, good music and had me smiling

Monster Hunter:

Avoid. Avoid.

The Marksman:

Avoid. Avoid. Avoid!
deathwalkr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 10:43   #7982
Distinguished - BHPian

Nobody: 3.5 / 5

A good movie is like a song one likes to dance to - it starts out slow but shows promise of the better part following up. And there's a constant rhythmic beat that keeps you hooked on to it before the final score that enthralls you completely. Nobody is like that - the first half hour keeps building up the tempo, one level at a time.

There are these nice short moments which give a flashback into Bob Odenkirk's history (a - la John Wick kind of background) without pulling the audience entirely into it. And the violence - brutal hard hitting. Bob Odenkirk is the kind of guy you would be familiar in secondary roles - like the sneaky lawyer in Breaking Bad or Better Call Saul, but never as the guy that could replace Keanu Reeves in John Wick. But he pulls it off so well. Less guns, more of everything else.

What I find the most interesting is the avenues it opens up going forward (watch out for the post-credit scene). There's going to be a part 2 for sure. And possibly even a part 3 if they don't screw it up. Overall a good 2-hour watch if you like these kind of action movies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
So, movies are the only way we can forget the worries and get some smile on our faces. This is our only escape now.
Everyone to his choices. I find movies to reflect reality more better / apt for awards than CGI and feel-good factor theatrics. There's an animation set of movies too if that helps on the escape route I'd really recommend 'Soul' for the current time/situation - as good as (or maybe better than) any of the movies across all award lists if you ask me.

Quote:
You should look around more, talk to people, before calling people like me stupid for escaping reality for couple hours. If you want to virtue signal, please find some other avenue.
Calm down and please check my post again - we are talking about Bill Maher's take (the link shared in your and my post). I have developed a good skin to stop giving into individual's opinions (even mods ) on highly subjective topics to respond individually - on this forum or on social media forums. For me, a popular individual like him needs to be a little more considerate. But hey, he's a late night talkshow host - he's expected to ruffle up feathers all over the place, so I guess that's a given.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 19th April 2021 at 11:10.
ninjatalli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 11:42   #7983
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Watched Everest last night. What a brilliant movie, brilliant cinematography!

Based on a true story, the movie is about a disastrous '96 Everest expedition.
Quoting an old post....this is available on Netflix and I watched it last night. I could recognise some characters from the IMAX movie that was shot on the same expedition.

I love how understated this movie is, not aiming for sensationalising anything but trying to show it without embellishment. Please watch it with your kids- it's family friendly too!
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2021, 18:46   #7984
Senior - BHPian

Wait, how can a movie where almost everyone dies be kid friendly?

It is a good movie for sure but with kids i'd rather be watching something a bit more happy
Old 19th April 2021, 21:39   #7985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Quoting an old post....this is available on Netflix and I watched it last night. I could recognise some characters from the IMAX movie that was shot on the same expedition.

I love how understated this movie is, not aiming for sensationalising anything but trying to show it without embellishment. Please watch it with your kids- it's family friendly too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

It is a good movie for sure but with kids i'd rather be watching something a bit more happy
+1

I watched it with my family almost 3 years back. My daughter was around 10 years old. She kept getting nightmares for almost a year and even now she is scared to watch any similar movie. (She is 13 now). So, if you have a sensitive kid, please DONT watch with him/her.

Btw, the movie is excellent and a must watch, I would rate it 8.5/10
adimicra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 10:32   #7986
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post

Given the slew of content on OTT channels, anything without nudity, swearing, violence, drugs (unless you count dexamethasone ) should pass muster no?

But I take your point completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
+1

I watched it with my family almost 3 years back. My daughter was around 10 years old. She kept getting nightmares for almost a year and even now she is scared to watch any similar movie. (She is 13 now). So, if you have a sensitive kid, please DONT watch with him/her.
So sorry to hear that. On the other hand there are kids who watch Evil Dead with the lights off and cheerfully munching on a pizza at the same time! Definitely a call each parent has to make
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th April 2021, 10:46   #7987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Given the slew of content on OTT channels, anything without nudity, swearing, violence, drugs (unless you count dexamethasone ) should pass muster no?

But I take your point completely.

So sorry to hear that. On the other hand there are kids who watch Evil Dead with the lights off and cheerfully munching on a pizza at the same time! Definitely a call each parent has to make
By kids i mean not Teens. Just putting an age on the classification There are so many movies which are kid friendly/family friendly to watch. Movies that give a positive glow after watching.

Even i was left gloomy after watching Everest.

In this day of OTT and easy access to viewing devices, as parents we have to be all the more careful.

And yes ultimately as parents we hope we know better to make an informed choice as to what our kids should be doing and watching.

Cheers.
Old 20th April 2021, 11:45   #7988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lol, that's true. My daughter has no problem watching all sorts of horror movies as she finds those funny. What stuck her hard in the case of Everest was that it was based on a real story.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2021, 10:48   #7989
Distinguished - BHPian

Sixty Six (2006)

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-51ataysocnl._sy445_.jpg

Synopsis - A boy's bar mitzvah looks set to be a disaster when it coincides with the 1966 World Cup Final.

Accidently stumbled upon this movie and it was a good watch. Very entertaining and all the lead actors acted brilliantly. A good weekend watch.

Rating - 4/5

The Father (2020)

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-sdad1.png

Synopsis - All Bimbo ever wanted was to be a father to his children and a husband to his wife, but providence has an different plan altogether.

Easily one of the best from Anthony Hopkins. Brilliant performance. The movie at times can be slow but his acting will keep you forgot everything else.

Rating - 5/5
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 10:47   #7990
BHPian

Inside Llewyn Davis

Based on life of a struggling musician who is trying hard to get things going for him. The entire movie is based on a week in his life but is well directed to keep you hooked for little less than two hours. Lead has done an excellent job, has excellent music throughout, overall movie theme is dark comedy. Recommended if you are looking for something different. I would rate it as 4.5/5.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-screenshot_20210425103137_chrome.jpg
ast.ggn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 14:04   #7991
Senior - BHPian

With the current pandemic situation we are caught up in, I decided to watch some 'light', 'feel good' movies and these two does that pretty well. A dog's Purpose (2017) & A dog's Journey (2019) can be a good watch with your family and loved ones. The first one is really good and helmed by Lasse Hallström, while the sequel is okayish. For those who loved 'Marley & Me' do give these movies a watch .
TrackDay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th April 2021, 17:35   #7992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackDay View Post
A dog's Purpose (2017) & A dog's Journey (2019). For those who loved 'Marley & Me' do give these movies a watch
Thanks, been in my wishlist for long. Marley & Me was epic, so would love to go ahead with these two movies now. Where are they playing?

Peter Rabbit 4*/5

It is like those sassy live action animation seen with Babe & Alvin & the Chipmunks.

The film will find few adult takers however with everyone home, this 'feel good' movie of a rambunctious rabbit will keep you engaged and entertained. The jokes and action are a little edgier than the Peter Rabbit stories but it is truly a delightful, fun movie.

Peter - the rabbit, voiced by James Corden, a fine actor but he’s nearly 40 and his persona is one of supreme confidence. It’s a very odd casting choice and makes Peter sound too mature and old enough. It’s unappealing. The animation of all the animals is faultless and pleasingly fluffy.

A good watch with kids where the elders can have a good laugh as well.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 25th April 2021 at 17:39.
Old 26th April 2021, 13:54   #7993
BHPian

Mad Max: Fury Road (2015) [Amazon Prime]

This was on my watchlist for long. This delivers what it promises, that is, 2 hours of unrelenting, spectacular action. There are hardly any dialogues, no 'sentimental' scenes, and not even dry humor/wise-cracks. Also, apparently, very less CGI was used, and the most stunts were done by real people. If true, that is just amazing .

Story is very simple and doesn't require to see the earlier Mad Max movie series.

I saw in the movie in 3 installments over 2 days. This is probably a better way to watch this as otherwise 2 hours of relentless action, however well-made, may become tedious.

4/5
DigitalOne is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 01:58   #7994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Frances McDormand is exceptional as always
Hope you have watched 'Three billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri'.
carthick1000 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2021, 09:11   #7995
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Thanks, been in my wishlist for long. Marley & Me was epic, so would love to go ahead with these two movies now. Where are they playing?
We had had family movie night last night, and chose to watch 'A dog's journey', now available on Netflix.

As they say, sometimes you need to experience it to know it. Now that we have a pet dog, we can almost relate to how it is a part of our little family, and how it looks after the welfare of all. This made us really enjoy the movie, and I was on my way here to do a quick writeup.

Totally recommended, from my side.

P.S. : I didn't know this was a sequel to 'A dog's purpose', when watching.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks