Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 08:50   #7876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
You mean to say you didn't like Pulp Fiction, quite possibly the greatest movie ever (or thereabouts!)

Well, to each his own, and yes, I dont think Pulp fiction is one of the greatest movies ever! I can think of far better movies made! Not wanting to start a debate, but I guess its all about personal likes and dislikes! My view is that Tarantino has got style, no doubt, his movies are a bit unusual, slightly quirky, but beyond that I have never been able to understand the hype.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 08:59   #7877
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Once up on a time in Hollywood : 2/5,
I was able to easily complete all past Tarantino movies and liked many of them. But 'Once upon a time in Hollywood' was a difficult watch. I have not been able to complete it yet.
Old 30th December 2020, 10:05   #7878
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Once up on a time in Hollywood : 2/5, !
The movie is just to showcase the environment around Hollywood in that era, and the whole concept of playing a pointless movie within the movie for so much of time is absurd. We have all seen Westerns, so why play something within the movie for so many instances?
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
I was able to easily complete all past Tarantino movies and liked many of them. But 'Once upon a time in Hollywood' was a difficult watch. I have not been able to complete it yet.
Once upon a time in Hollywood was a slow movie without much story but good acting and a very interesting climax. It felt like a spoof and a good one at that. I read somewhere it was made as a tribute to the industry in the yesteryears and was loosely based around few actors/incidents of the past.

Me and my wife caught this movie in the theatre. Must say, we were a little bored in the beginning but we loved the end. And the wait till the end was worth it.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 10:26   #7879
Senior - BHPian

Agree with your take on TENET completely - with a rider that I may not 'understand' or, rather, fail to explain the story line, even if I watch multiple times

I liked the background score very much and some of the 'clipped accent' dialogues (watched it without captions) of Kat and the scenes shot in Mumbai - especially where Dimple & Washington are walking (Fort or Colaba?) with security following in the background and a black SUV keeping pace on the road! Not very impressed with Washington though.

Ending seemed to be tame.... in fact, couldn't help thinking of Predestination (which I liked more) considering the references to the 'Grandfather Paradox'....

I would also rate it 3/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
... definitely a movie to be watched at least twice, If you really want to "understand" it....

.... doesn't give you a closure(as a viewer)...

....great potential, has awesome cinematography...

Last edited by vrprabhu : 30th December 2020 at 10:28. Reason: Brevity!
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 10:39   #7880
Distinguished - BHPian

Peacock - 2010

Synopsis - John Skillpa, a bank clerk, leads a reserved, secretive life in Peacock, a town where everyone knows everything about everyone. A freak accident reveals to the townspeople a stunning fact about John.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-1.jpg

The good line up of cast caught my eye (Cillian, Bill Pullman, Susan Sarandon, Ellen Page etc) and was glad that I didn't miss this. The story might be a drag at times, but boy what an acting by Cillian (one of his best). Other characters too supported him very well. Watch this for his acting and also a pretty different take on a "common subject" (not going in detail).

Rating - 4.5/5
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 10:43   #7881
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Well, to each his own, and yes, I dont think Pulp fiction is one of the greatest movies ever! I can think of far better movies made! .
I am with you on this. I could not understand the hype behind this movie. Apart from personal choice, the other thing that could be a reason is the time gap between when a movie is released and when you watch it. Some movies are very relevant for the time they release it, and maybe till a decade later.

In case of Pulp Fiction, I watched it almost 20-22 years after its release and found it to be good, but not the best ever. Of course there are exceptions - Shawshank Redemption is evergreen
Old 30th December 2020, 11:17   #7882
Senior - BHPian

The Mighty Ducks: Still worth a watch

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104868/

Used to love this movie back in the day and i caught myself watching it on TV the other day and my wife said she has not seen this movie and i was pleased to find that the movie was engrossing.

quack quack

Next up: The Croods
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 11:23   #7883
BHPian

Me and my son went and saw Wonder Woman 84. While I would not call it bad, it is not over the top superhero movie. Gal Gadot is as refreshing as ever and the movie will run just for her. An out and out women themed movie which is worth a watch once

Best part was me and my son were the only 2 in the theatre and it was like a private viewing with good air condition and a whole lot of empty seats.
bharanidharang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 11:29   #7884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Me and my son went and saw Wonder Woman 84. While I would not call it bad, it is not over the top superhero movie. Gal Gadot is as refreshing as ever and the movie will run just for her. An out and out women themed movie which is worth a watch once

Best part was me and my son were the only 2 in the theatre and it was like a private viewing with good air condition and a whole lot of empty seats.
Went last night - only 10 in theatre, all distanced!

As for the movie - First 10 minutes are good, then it goes downhill, the two women acting in the movie were classy. Thats about it

Wonder Women 2/5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Once upon a time in Hollywood was a slow movie without much story but good acting and a very interesting climax. It felt like a spoof and a good one at that. I read somewhere it was made as a tribute to the industry in the yesteryears and was loosely based around few actors/incidents of the past.

Me and my wife caught this movie in the theatre. Must say, we were a little bored in the beginning but we loved the end. And the wait till the end was worth it.
You really need to understand about the Charles Manson murders and Sharon Tate. With that context in mind, the movie is enjoyable. In reality, the murderers killed Sharon Tate and her friends

Last edited by ajmat : 30th December 2020 at 11:31.
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2021, 20:41   #7885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Went last night - only 10 in theatre, all distanced!

As for the movie - First 10 minutes are good, then it goes downhill, the two women acting in the movie were classy. Thats about it

Wonder Women 2/5

You really need to understand about the Charles Manson murders and Sharon Tate. With that context in mind, the movie is enjoyable. In reality, the murderers killed Sharon Tate and her friends

But the movie is hardly about Charles Manson or about why they did what they did! There is just a brief scene where Brad Pitt walks in to the area where these folks live and then its the last scene where they are out to murder a few folks in a Hollywood residential zone. To be honest, I was always watching the movie expecting that at some point it would have more to do with these incidents, but it does not. Anyway, what I could not stand was the fact that the movie had too many scenes of a movie-within-a-movie getting played out all the time.

Last edited by ajmat : 2nd January 2021 at 10:47. Reason: too many space gaps in quoted post
Old 2nd January 2021, 16:16   #7886
Senior - BHPian

Calling for all car race lovers. Netflix to release action-adventure movie Asphalt Burning on January 2, 2021.

RM Motorsports is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2021, 08:28   #7887
Distinguished - BHPian

Apex: The Story of the Hypercar

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-apexthestoryofthehypercarcoverphoto.jpg

More of a documentary of Koenigsegg but they do cover other hypercars as well. Pretty well taken and was an interesting watch. Did learn some facts about Koenigsegg especially why they have that ghost symbol on their cars.

Rating - 4.5/5
naveen.raju is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 07:36   #7888
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Once up on a time in Hollywood : 2/5
Full of big stars, but what a disaster. I hated it too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Calling for all car race lovers. Netflix to release action-adventure movie Asphalt Burning on January 2, 2021.
Netflix produces some amazing shows, but when it comes to movies, Netflix originals usually suck. Early reviews suggest this one sucks as well. Also, the IMDB rating is currently 5.1.
Old 7th January 2021, 08:50   #7889
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Quote:
Anyway, what I could not stand was the fact that the movie had too many scenes of a movie-within-a-movie getting played out all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Full of big stars, but what a disaster. I hated it too.
I think it is one of those movies that a part of the audience loves it and the rest find it boring.

I found it very boring - in fact I dozed off during the middle (was a late night show) during one of the many slow scenes.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2021, 11:08   #7890
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Saw "Breach" (2007) on Amazon as its IMDB & Rotten Tomatoes ratings were good and I love such dramas. Oh man, what a bore. The movie moves slower than a dead turtle. It was an excruciating 45 minutes before I switched it off.

Avoid.

Last edited by GTO : 7th January 2021 at 11:09.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed