Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2020, 10:30   #7726
Team-BHP Support

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

A blast from the past "The Duel(1971)" is Steven Spielberg's debut movie. Really nice and totally on the road.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 11:17   #7727
Senior - BHPian

Searching

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mv5bmjiwota3ndi3mf5bml5banbnxkftztgwnzizmza5ntm._v1_uy1200_cr9006301200_al_.jpg

Available under "watch it before its gone" section in Amazon prime.

The gimmick is that the entire action of the film takes place on—or, rather, is seen on—computer screens. It portrays the benefits of the internet as well as the disadvantage of it. Indian-origin filmmaker Aneesh Chaganty’s feature film debut is a gem of a high-concept thriller with human emotions at the heart of it. This innovative storytelling technique makes you a part of David’s search operation instead of being a mere spectator. Every call missed, key pressed or text read, brings a lump in your throat, almost mirroring our reliance on technology in our daily lives.

Highly Recommended.4.5/5.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 11:36   #7728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Searching

Attachment 2011811

Available under "watch it before its gone" section in Amazon prime
Prime India or US? Reason is I'm unable to find under that section or anywhere in Prime for that matter. Mine is Indian.

Edit - Checked thoroughly & it seems to have gone

Last edited by aargee : 30th May 2020 at 11:37.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2020, 11:44   #7729
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Oops, even I am not able to find it now. It was under "watch before they're gone" section. It seems it's gone. I watched it yesterday only. It was on Prime India.

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-screenshot_2020053011393490_81c7f64b22ddfc22ec5d35369b2ee43c.jpg
Old 31st May 2020, 08:51   #7730
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Damn good movie. Very unique story. It's available for purchase on YouTube:
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 09:01   #7731
BHPian

Quote:
n.

"Searching" lived up to its name
hothatchaway is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 1st June 2020, 12:14   #7732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
I saw Begin Again last night. Nice cast, Mark Ruffalo just owns the role. Wish we could see more of this talented actor. Keira Knightley is like sunshine on grey day. The direction is smooth and easy, New York has been presented in manner not regularly seen. The scene where Ruffalo creates music is amazing, sets the tone for one to understand how a music producer thinks and sees things.

An enjoyable 2 hours with some great songs and great visuals of New York.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trek View Post
+100

I loved this movie. It was so refreshing to see this different treatment of a subject. The detailing and the character development is amazing.

Such films always make me wonder on how 'silly' and 'over the top' our Hindi cinema is. There is scant attention to details and you most often feel stupid after watching them.

BTW I d give this movie a full 5 out of 5.
Do not miss it.
I saw "Begin Again" on Netflix this weekend and absolutely loved the movie and the music. The chemistry between Mark Ruffalo and Keira Knightley is very good. The support cast of Adam Levine, Hailee Steinfeld and others is also good. The first take of Greta singing with just the guitar and the subsequent layering of other music by Dan is amazing. The soundtrack of this movie has been looping in my playlist ever since. Would give this movie 4.5 out of 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
1.JoJo Rabbit - Masterful execution by Taika Waititi who manages to deliver a touching story with a good balance of humor as well as gravitas. Great screenplay and acting manages to deliver some pull at the heart string moments. Definitely will watch again. Rating - 4/5
I also happened to catch up "Jojo Rabbit" on Tata sky showcase. The young cast of Roman Griffin Davis and Thomasin McKenzie who play Jojo and Elsa respectively are very endearing. They are ably supported by Scarlett Johannson, Sam Rockwell and Taika Waititi amongst others. The stark scenes of Germany during the second world war are nicely interspersed with humour for relief. I give this movie 4 out of 5.
Old 7th June 2020, 15:03   #7733
BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-a2b4660649444fedae7a6fc4bde61c2c.jpeg

17 Again: this middle aged dude named Mike wants to re-live his high school days again, and guess what? He gets his wish. This comedy/fantasy flick is a good casual watch with high school romance, drama and a life lesson. The handsome Zac Efron does a great job too. Definitely worth a watch.

My rating: 7/10
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2020, 18:15   #7734
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
T-34 : 4/5

A brilliant (fiction) movie about a bunch of Russian tank men beating multiple German tigers and then finally getting caught and taken as POWs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Watched it, thanks for the recommendation. Respect for the T 34 battle tank.
It's a good, thrilling war action movie. Liked it.

It's available on Amazon Prime in English language with German also in English subtitles.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2020, 08:32   #7735
BHPian

Leave No Trace (2018)

I stumbled upon this movie on Netflix when I was searching for movies by Thomasin McKenzie, whom I admired in Jojo Rabbit (check my review last week). This movie also starring Ben Foster, is a story about Will, a military veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder. He lives in the forest (a national park) with his young daughter Tom in complete isolation going to the town occasionally only for food and supplies. The story takes a turn when they are arrested and placed in social service after Tom is spotted by a jogger. This movie has less dialogues and relies more on expressions and both actors have done a fabulous job here. Thomasin McKenzie is an actor to watch out for in the future. My highest recommendation.

Some other trivia about this film: it holds a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 225 review, that is the second-most reviewed film (after Paddington 2) to hold 100% rating.

My ratings: 5/5
pnredkar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 00:48   #7736
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Leave No Trace (2018)
Some other trivia about this film: it holds a 100% rating on Rotten Tomatoes based on 225 review, that is the second-most reviewed film (after Paddington 2) to hold 100% rating.

My ratings: 5/5
I somehow did not like this movie at all. More like a documentary and without much of a story line. Pretty boring every way except for the shots of the woods (I love forests in any form and have often dreamed of living in the forest). Nowhere in the league of Into the Wild etc. if I could make that comparison. I would rate it 1/5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
It's a good, thrilling war action movie. Liked it.

It's available on Amazon Prime in English language with German also in English subtitles.
Beautiful movie. Loved this one. The World War movies always pains me. Just so many lives lost for no good reason. Would rate this 4/5.
pjbiju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 07:14   #7737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
I somehow did not like this movie at all. More like a documentary and without much of a story line. Pretty boring every way except for the shots of the woods (I love forests in any form and have often dreamed of living in the forest). Nowhere in the league of Into the Wild etc. if I could make that comparison. I would rate it 1/5.
I agree that this is a slow movie and build up is without the regular sprucing up. While it is not easy to comprehend Will's psyche (and his post-war trauma), I thought Tom's was relatable. While you may not share my enthusiasm for this indie little gem, somehow your rating seems a little unfair to me. Well, to each his own!

Meanwhile, I will take your recommendation and check Into the Wild.
Old 9th June 2020, 09:25   #7738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
I agree that this is a slow movie and build up is without the regular sprucing up. While it is not easy to comprehend Will's psyche (and his post-war trauma), I thought Tom's was relatable. While you may not share my enthusiasm for this indie little gem, somehow your rating seems a little unfair to me. Well, to each his own!

Meanwhile, I will take your recommendation and check Into the Wild.
The acting was pretty good by everyone, but somehow the movie never got me involved. They never really gave a glimpse of what Will is suffering from or how they ended up living in the woods. It never really got deep into anything. I watched it till the end only to see how it would end. If anything, I could only relate to Tom and her confusion with the days passing by. I loved the ending. Personally to me every movie should communicate with the viewer and invoke some emotions (be it laughter, anger, angst, pain, wonder etc.). That is where this movie failed for me although it had a lot of potential. But as you said, each of us have our own unique way of relating to such things.

Into the Wild is on Netflix and Prime.

Last edited by pjbiju : 9th June 2020 at 09:26.
Old 10th June 2020, 19:11   #7739
BHPian

'93 Days' is a much better pandemic-related movie unlike other similarly themed ones that offers cheap zombie thrills. This movie is made even better due the brilliant acting by the Nigerian cast. Highly recommended.
WindRide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 10:28   #7740
Distinguished - BHPian

A Murder of Crows

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-p22159_v_v8_ac.jpg

Synopsis - A disbarred lawyer takes credit for a late friend's book, which becomes a smash hit but the tables turn on him sooner than he suspected.

A pretty good effect and a watchable thriller.

Rating - 4/5

Radio

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-ceafa6122ced2ad52c70ac5876c208ae.jpg

Synopsis - Football coach Jones meets the 23-year-old Robert 'Radio' Kennedy and notices his limitations and shortcomings. He takes him under his wing and mentors him to become a well-mannered gentleman.

Totally loved this movie. Ed Harris was great but Cuba Gooding just nailed it. Am a big fan of his movies. This should be one of his best performances. Would highly recommend it. Nothing great or extra ordinary but it's just a sweet movie and watch for his brilliant acting.

Rating - 5/5

Image source - Google
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks