Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2020, 23:03   #7651
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

12 years a slave

Period drama based on an actual story of a man who was kidnapped and sold into slavery in 1800s. Excellent performance by lead actors, must watch. Available on Netflix and Prime both.
Old 13th April 2020, 09:41   #7652
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Molly's Game = 5/5 stars
Thanks for that recomendation GTO, watched it last week and did enjoy Jessica Chastian's portrayal of the Molly Bloom.

Also watched A Most Violent year, which revolves around sabotage, competition and business pressure in the oil trade. Oscar Issacs stands out in his role and has done a very good job. But the film is very slow and needs a lot of patience, hence would Rate it 3.75/5
Old 13th April 2020, 16:34   #7653
BHPian

The Lincoln Lawyer. 4/5 on Amazon Prime.

Good pace, good script and direction. A dandy courtroom thriller - I am a big fan of those.

Actor = Matthew McConaughey. Not among my favorites, but still acceptable. Certainly worth a watch if you have not seen it.

Why not 5/5? My gold standard for courtroom drama/thriller still is 12 angry men! The Lincoln Lawyer, although pretty good, does not have that intensity of 12 AM.
Miyata is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2020, 17:49   #7654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
The Lincoln Lawyer. 4/5 on Amazon Prime.
Sightly OT - the book is better and Michael Connelly really does know how to spin a yarn.
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 15:48   #7655
BHPian

Watched:

1. Girl on the Third Floor [2019]: CM punk everyone! Well, that’s the only reason I was ready to see this movie but what the crap have I just watched. just after 35 mins into the movie it becomes so irritating and annoying with so obvious plot holes that a 3-year-old can point it out. The storyline & logic in the movie has gone for a complete toss. You are better off without watching this crap - 1/5 (Only to see CM Punk again, Yay!)

2. Extinction [2019]: This movie might seem like your normal alien invasion movie but the twist in the movie that is revealed in the beginning makes it so refreshing from the other movies. The movie has a good concept but lacks convincing characters. A nice watch - 3.5/5

3. I am Mother [2019]: This reminds me of a will smith's movie, iRobot. This movie as most of the movies on Netflix these days revolves around the post-apocalyptic era wherein a robot is assigned to repopulate the earth and the challenges she creates to select the best of the best. A good thriller that will grip you till the end. A good watch to set your mind rolling :-) - 4/5

4. Before I Wake [2016]: What a beautiful movie, a foster kid who makes everything he dreams about comes to life. The ending is a big let down and spoils the satisfaction of all good things coming to an end. 3.5/5

5. Ip Man 4 The Finale: What a great movie to mark the end of the IP man series. This movie is the fourth and final instalment of the aforementioned movie series. Its better than IP man-3 and at par with IP man-2. Although I feel, the storyline could have much much better but nevertheless the movie grips you till the end with its amazing fighting scenes and drama. A nice and decent watch - 4/5

6. The Open House: What did I just watch. This movie is so pathetic that I don’t even want to write any review for it. No story and no ending whatsoever. Words cannot even describe how waste of time this movie is. Please look away and go watch something else - 0/5

7. Just Mercy [2020]: What a gem of a movie. This had the perfect ingredients to make this movie successful. A controversial topic, stellar star cast, actual footage to relate to the movie. I was so touched by the movie that I have posted in friends and family group to watch this movie - 5/5

8. Underwater [2020]: After watching the movie I am damn convinced that Kristen Steward doesn’t know how to act. Sorry for the rant but this lady had got no expression and no convincing power as to what she's doing. The plot was so good and the movie had so much potential but all seem to go waste. Many of the scenes gave goosebumps but the story lacked soul and hence ended with disappointment. 2/5

9. The Gentlemen [2020]: Now that’s I call a classy and a true gentlemen's movie. Everything about this movie is so brilliant and elegant. The movie gets off slow but really picks up after 20-25 mins. Just when you know you have seen the movie and bam! another twist. Loved it 5/5

10. Rim of The World [2019]: Though a kids movie but I don’t know some part of me enjoyed it. The animation and characterization were pretty bad and the story has many flaws but it’s a nice watch on a Saturday afternoon. -3/5

11. Next Gen [2018]: This was truly an impulse watch. The animation, story and graphics were so awesome that I was shocked to see that this movie is not Pixar, Sony or Disney. It is exactly like Big Hero-6 but its so much more. This rightly shows how we are dependent on machines for everything and the bond we share with machines (Motorbikes) in my case. I enjoyed this movie and would recommend it

12. Brahms The Boy II [2020]: Like any other sequel I wonder why this was created? It has actually spoiled the original movie, The Boy, which was a different movie which gave the illusion that there is a supernatural entity but there wasn't any. This, on the other hand, left so many questions unanswered. 2/5

13. Trolls World Tour [2020]: Yaay! Another wonderful animation. Unlike other sequel movies, this movie was there by the original movie if not a notch higher. A good attempt to bring people from different backgrounds together. Everyone is important and everyone contributes to society in its unique way. - 4/5
drive_angry is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th April 2020, 22:53   #7656
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
Watched:
5. Ip Man 4 The Finale
Where did you watch this?
Old 15th April 2020, 00:16   #7657
BHPian

Just finished seeing - The Art of Racing in the Rain on Hotstar.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FoxMovies

The movie is one hell of a tear jerker and the mother of all unusual takes on Racing car drivers, I kid you not!! Support for our good old hindu reincarnation theory as well.

I just dont know what to rate it, because I kinda of liked it. It stars Milo Ventimiglia, Amanda Seyfried, both of whom I like and have done a fair job. The movie is a typical feel good, happy ending, family watch!

But my expectations seeing the Title and then the trailer were very different. I expected a movie about racing and cars but unfortunately all that serves only as a backdrop to the real story. The writers have tried to tell an old story in a decidedly new bottle and don't know if it worked!!
PGNarain is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 09:10   #7658
BHPian

Quote:
Where did you watch this?
Hey Miyata, I saw it on an Amazon USA account. It's available for $12.99 (SD) and $14.99 (HD). Unfortunately, renting was not an option for this movie, if it was, it would have been much cheaper (rentals generally retails about $4.99)
drive_angry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 13:07   #7659
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b]

Why not 5/5? My gold standard for courtroom drama/thriller still is 12 angry men! The Lincoln Lawyer, although pretty good, does not have that intensity of 12 AM.
12 Angry Men is matched closely by Witness for the Prosecution where the venerable Charles Laughton did a screamer of a role. Check it out if you haven't already and if you like courtroom thrillers. It's a classic.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 17th April 2020 at 02:34. Reason: Minor typos.
arindambasu13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2020, 22:17   #7660
Distinguished - BHPian

Parasite: Good movie but over-rated is my one line review. Watched this on Prime with high expectations but was disappointed when it ended. Not that it was a bad watch but clearly not a movie which deserved that many Academy Awards.

All members of a family deceitfully get employed by a rich family and the story revolves around this theme. Some dark humour is presented but the movie in a whole lacks the punch. One time watch if you need to kill some time during the closure.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 03:00   #7661
Distinguished - BHPian

I don’t know if these movies have been detailed here in the thread before or not but still adding some personal favourites here:
1. A few good men- a fantastic movie from the early years of Tom Cruise and Demi Moore, Jack Nicholson was in his full elements.

2. Men of Honour- Inspired by a true story and starring the great Robert di Niro and Cuba Gooding Jr is absolutely riveting story of resilience and inspiration.

3. Crimson Tide- A submarine and navy drama about two strong individuals starring Gene Heckman and Denzel Washington with a slice of history behind the use of nuclear weapons.

4. Chocolate Delightful movie starring Jonny Depp and Juliet Binoche and Alfred Molina as well. Logic and rationale against the shallow morality is the theme and is a delightful watch.

5. Ronin Starring Robert di Niro, this movie is a espionage drama and story is set around the cold age era.

6. The Peacemaker- Starring Nicole Kidman and George Clooney is another fine movie set against the backdrop of cold age era.

7.Argo- A wonderfully drafted movie by Ben Affleck inspired by true events. An absolute must watch.
All these movies can be seen across platforms and movie channels. The list can be very long considering there are movies that are absolute beauties in terms of cinema making.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2020, 09:55   #7662
Senior - BHPian

Mollys Game, watched this last night, a good movie for sure, Jessica Chastain as usual delivers a power house performance. However the movie felt too long, I dont think the movie had enough content for 2 hours and 20 minutes. Plus, the voice over style in the movie gets too repetitive beyond a point.
Old 17th April 2020, 10:54   #7663
Senior - BHPian

Thanks to the person who recommended Mystic River. Was an absolute gem to watch

Watched Gifted the other day. Chris Evans played his role well and so did the kid. Good watch.
Old 17th April 2020, 11:45   #7664
BHPian

Parasite (2.5/5): Don't understand the hype around this movie. I felt it's an average movie at best.

Onwards (3.5/5): As most animation movies go from Disney/Pixar, a good movie for kids and OK for adults as well.

Avengers Endgame (4/5): Watched it for the 8th time, never realized I have become such a big fan of MCU movies. Will remain as the gold standard of how to close a long spanning franchise perfectly, not from the story line point of view (you need to ignore a lot of plotholes) but from the point of view of catering to all the needs of a fan of the franchise. But the ultimate gold standard of all time for superhero movies remain "The Dark knight".
Old 17th April 2020, 11:58   #7665
BHPian

Cargo (4/5)

Movie set in the Australian outback with a Zombie apocalypse scenario. Sounds all too familiar but the movie is refreshingly different in tackling this subject.

It approaches the subject from an altogether different angle where the protagonist is fighting against time after being infected to find a suitable family who would take care of his infant daughter post his point of no return.
Trojan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks