Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2020, 23:29   #7531
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Knives Out : 4 / 5

A brilliant who-dun-it movie that reminds one of reading Poirot or Miss Marple books, in a very British-ly take (although a few of the characters keep pushing in Southern accents that turn out to be a very poor imitation of the accent) of the entire scene.

The best part - there are several twists and turns in the storyline and even though the number of stars is a bit too much for this kind of simplistic story, none of the actors take the central stage at any point of the movie.

Worth a watch in the hall if you can. Or just wait for a few weeks for it to be grabbed up by one of the streaming sites - this is one movie perfect for a couch potato situation!
100% agree. Awesome movie and good comedy. Giving it 4/5 because I reserve 5/5 for an extra ordinary experience such as Inception or Lord of the Rings series. Perfect for a family siting

Joker - 2/5

What a waste of time. What could have been covered in 15-25 minutes was simply dragged on for hours. Too slow was the plot development and too trivial were the reasons shown for someone to get crazy to be the 'Joker'. Unnecessarily they tried to link it with Thomas Wayne. Even the Gotham series is way better executed.

Agree that Joaquin Phoenix acted well. Loved his dance scenes. But the role/story was too limited for him to show anything further skills. This joker isn't what Heath Ledger was in The Dark Knight. Ledger was exceptional. Ledger was legendary. The real Joker was Anonymous, his identity wasn't known to anyone, his simple presence in a scene was a fear factor in The Dark Knight and he wasn't cracking jokes around

This Joker isn't whom Batman will fight in the future. By the time Bruce Wayne grows up and becomes the Batman, this joker will be 50+. Perhaps the future Joker will be an off spring of this one. Warner Bros and DC seem to be just trying to milk the Batman series and may be they will add one more movie in the future again.
Old 13th January 2020, 09:53   #7532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Anna - A good spy thriller with a healthy dose of John wick style action sequences.
Rated - 8/10

Avengement - Scott Adkins at his best. He has vastly improved his acting. He needs to do more A list action movies. Story isn't great but fights are quite good.
Rated - 7/10
Thanks for the tips. Watched Avengement and it was brutal! That guy can really pull of action movies.

Shall watch Anna sometime later
Old 13th January 2020, 14:16   #7533
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Brian Banks = 4 / 5 stars

Recommended. True story of a rising sports star whose life got ruined by a false rape accusation. He then built it back . Saw it on Google Play for 150 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octy17 View Post
I watched The Hundred Foot Journey recently.

Rated - 5/5
A rare movie I've seen twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Joker - 2/5

What a waste of time.
So agreed. What a joke of a movie!
Old 15th January 2020, 19:21   #7534
Senior - BHPian

Blinded by the light - Rated 3.5/5 Stars

The movie is based on the life of a son of a Pakistani immigrant family in London and how he finds inspiration and solace in Bruce Springsteen's music while dealing with the extremely conservative lifestyle imposed by his father at home and discrimination outside.

The movie should especially appeal to Boss's fans.

Old 15th January 2020, 21:43   #7535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
A rare movie I've seen twice.
I second that. It is surely one of those movies that can be watched multiple times and surely won't get bored.
Old 15th January 2020, 22:31   #7536
BHPian

Gattaca 3.5/5

A brilliant sci-fi movie about future where a man's career is defined by their biological abilities. It's about how a man cheats the system to achieve his dream.
It's not just a sci-fi but it makes you understand how hard work and determination can beat talent. People of different age group will take out different learnings from this which makes it brilliant.
Old 15th January 2020, 23:35   #7537
BHPian

Uncut Gems - 3.5/5

If you have liked 'American Hustle' you will like this one too.

Last edited by vb-saan : 16th January 2020 at 10:05. Reason: No spoilers please! Refer to the thread title.
Old 16th January 2020, 18:53   #7538
BHPian

Watched:

1. Ford V Ferrari: (5/5) One of the finest movie to kick start your new year. Loved Christan Bale's acting. If that's Mr. Bale's fake accent, he nailed it unlike Daniel Craig's in Knives Out.

2. Maleficent Mistress Of Evil: (4/5) Angelina Jolie is as ever classy and beautiful. This movie is the 2nd part of Maleficent series. Get ready to be blown away with stunning graphics and miss jolie's mesmerising beauty and decent storyline. A must watch for the family with kids

3. It Chapter Two: (3.5/5) Yet another instalment of IT movie, the movie continues where part-1 left off and IT comes back again. The 'losers' reunite again to defeat the monster. I felt the storyline has deteriorated as compared to first but definitely a good horror watch for sure

4. Gemini Man (3/5): Good action movie in which Will Smith have to fight his demons, literally. Easy predictable storyline but a good one time watch action movie

5. The Addams Family (3/5): Big fan of Addams family back when it used to air on Cartoon Network and thus had high hopes from the movie. Sadly, the animation was not upto the mark and could have been better with much more involved characters and of course more 'creepiness'

6. Countdown (1/5): Waste of a movie wherein an app tells you when you are going to die. Awful storyline and weak performances by the characters. you are better off without watching this one.

7. Snowpiercer (3/5): After a failed climate change experiment world as we know is gone. Only few 'privileged' aboard the train (aka Snowpiercer) has survived and the movie revolves around how they make the system running when there is nothing else left. The movie had so much potential in the beginning but it kind of diluted at the end but a good watch nevertheless
Old 16th January 2020, 21:39   #7539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
1. Togo: Beautiful movie that shows connection of man with his dog and how brave and courage conquers everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Togo : 4.5 / 5
Thank you for the recommendation! Will definitely watch. I have seen this story in cartoon form when I was a kid. The cartoon movie is called Balto, and was made in 1995 - it's unforgettable for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The latest Rise of Skywalker Star Wars is the last one I believe.
It's the last Stars Wars in the Skywalker saga. They will make more Star Wars movies from different times in that galaxy far, far away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I bought us so called 4XD 3D tickets. Which means you get 3D and your seat moves about, you hear and feel puffs of air around you and somebody keeps poking you in the back.

I did enjoy the movie but this 4XD was a complete waste on all of us.
I watched it in 4DX as well - though this isn't the first movie I'm watching a movie in 4DX. The punches in the back got tiring after some time, lol. I enjoyed the rest of the effects for the most part though.

I don't think all movies are good in this format. So far, I found Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom the best movie I have seen in 4DX. The effects were spot-on, and really added to the excitement of the movie.

Cheers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 18th January 2020 at 08:16. Reason: Trimming quoted post. Please avoid quoting a large post as it inconveniences small screen users. Thanks.
Old 17th January 2020, 21:06   #7540
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Y
I actually did enjoy the film. Although some of the plot eludes me. Probably because in the past I was known to fall asleep during certain Star war episodes.

I bought us so called 4XD 3D tickets.

I did enjoy the movie but this 4XD was a complete waste on all of us.

I also slept through some of the later "prequels" to the original movies like "The Return of the Sith". When the scene is in a dark cave or marshland, "yawn"

As for 4XD, it did not give us the opportunity to nod through the movie, first the chairs are upright with short squabs and second, you get comfortable and you are shaken out of the comfort zone!
Old 18th January 2020, 00:40   #7541
BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched:

1. Claus (5/5): What an extraordinary animated flick. I know I am a bit late for a Christmas movie but this movie really touched my heart. A movie with brilliant storyline that gives you warm and mushy feeling in the end. Highly recommended movie

2. Terminator- Dark Fate (2/5): They should have 'killed' the terminator franchise while it was going good. Now I don't know what they are trying to do. Yet another advanced robot sent from the future to kill a girl whose fate decides everything in the future. An action packed movie with below average storyline.
Old 18th January 2020, 20:51   #7542
Senior - BHPian

Watched The Two Popes on Netflix last night. Although the story is pure fiction and not actually based on true events, it does manage to hold the viewers interest, more so due to the fantastic screenplay, dialogues, and obviously class acts from Jonathan Pryce and Anthony Hopkins.

When I watched Joker, I though Joaquin Phoenix is the clear winner in the best actor category this year, but after watching Jonathan Pryce, I must say he is equally good too, and I think the role here was far more difficult than the Joker, since almost all shots are close up shots and the actor literally has to deliver in each frame.
Old 18th January 2020, 21:45   #7543
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I also slept through some of the later "prequels" to the original movies like "The Return of the Sith". When the scene is in a dark cave or marshland, "yawn"

!
No way!

All the movies done by the man himself were fantastic. I think the prequels did a great job about Anakins life and how he became vader.

The Disney franchise is a sham!

Hope they do kenobi and qui gon as a separate movie. Love those guys and hope both of them reprise their roles.

And baby yoda too from the mandalorian.

Last edited by Red Liner : 18th January 2020 at 21:47.
Old 18th January 2020, 21:47   #7544
BHPian

1917: watched it yesterday at PVR, spectacular WW I movie. The theater was empty, given the genre, it was not a surprise. However if you eat, breath and sleep war, this is the pinnacle of movie making. I'm blown away be the sheer power of character building and the emptiness of human empathy. If you are in for the purity and classic movie making, this is it. Please watch it in theaters before it is taken down. 5/5 from me.
Old 19th January 2020, 03:46   #7545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
1917: watched it yesterday at PVR, spectacular WW I movie. The theater was empty, given the genre, it was not a surprise. However if you eat, breath and sleep war, this is the pinnacle of movie making. I'm blown away be the sheer power of character building and the emptiness of human empathy. If you are in for the purity and classic movie making, this is it. Please watch it in theaters before it is taken down. 5/5 from me.
Apparently it is crafted as a single continuous "one-shot technique"
I wanna see it just for that.
Does it feel like that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks