Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2020, 03:57   #7636
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Saw a great movie on how the system can fail / deceive you. Richard Jewell = 5 / 5 stars. True story of a hugely law abiding citizen & wannabe cop who got falsely accused in a bombing case.
Definitely a 5/5 movie! Terrific performance by the lead actor as well. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
A perfect case where IMDb/ Rotten tomatoes can be misleading.
I don't give much weight to the Rotten Tomatoes ratings but anything above 7.0 on IMDB (with good number of votes) has rarely disappointed me and Richard Jewell is at 7.5 which is a good rating.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 6th April 2020 at 03:58.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 12:00   #7637
BHPian

Watched Midway (2019). It depicts the battle of Midway in World War II in a realistic manner. A treat to fans of World War II. 5/5
Prowler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 14:44   #7638
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Saw a great movie on how the system can fail / deceive you. Richard Jewell = 5 / 5 stars .
Just a note = Richard Jewell is now available on iTunes for 150 bucks. You don't need to be an iOS user. Download the iTunes app on your computer & enjoy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
As mentioned in the above posts, please do share info on where to watch.
Let's not make this a hard & fast rule. Anyway, to answer your question, Bombshell is available on the Play Store as well as iTunes. I saw it and got bored halfway through.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2020, 15:27   #7639
BHPian

Watched Prisoners yesterday, pretty good story and plot, climax was slightly unsatisfying but overall a good watch with a great cast (Hugh Jackman, Jake Gyllenhaal).
Old 6th April 2020, 23:27   #7640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a note = Richard Jewell is now available on iTunes for 150 bucks. You don't need to be an iOS user. Download the iTunes app on your computer & enjoy.

Let's not make this a hard & fast rule. Anyway, to answer your question, Bombshell is available on the Play Store as well as iTunes. I saw it and got bored halfway through.

Hey GTO, thanks for the recommendation, just rented Richard Jewell on iTunes and it was indeed a great movie! I thought the acting by Paul Walter Hauser and Sam Rockwell was superb. Clint East wood manages to make real good movies, his best probably being Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby from what I have seen. Richard Jewell is way better than some of the other movies he made like The Mule, Hereafter, Invictus etc, but you have to wonder, how in the world does a man, at this age, with nothing more to achieve, keeps churning out movies almost every year!
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 00:07   #7641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Clint East wood manages to make real good movies, his best probably being Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby from what I have seen.
Do watch Gran Torino (2008), if you haven't. It's one of my favorite Clint Eastwood movie.
Sherlocked is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 02:19   #7642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
Do watch Gran Torino (2008), if you haven't. It's one of my favorite Clint Eastwood movie.
Seconded. This and Letters from Iwo Jima, made me a fan.
Old 7th April 2020, 07:08   #7643
Distinguished - BHPian

The Gentlemen: 4/5

A typical Guy Ritchie movie - a full British setup, excellent cast, very good script, lots of twists and turns and great direction. Doesn't reach the levels of 'Lock, Stock & Smoking Barrel' or 'Snatch' but definitely a good watch. Surprisingly, a lot of the usual (British) cast isn't here; but that doesn't matter as the movie is still good fun and fast-paced.

Bombshell: 3.5/5

A very interesting behind-the-scenes story of Fox News and the workings of a male-dominated firm in a very aggressive and tough industry; and the makings of a #meToo situation that just erupted within the firm before it went global.

Note: This movie will require a bit of context and know-how of the US presidency process, and assumes one knows what has happened over the last presidency round (2015-16).

The Way Back: 2/5

Think Coach Carter - that's the high this movie tries to replicate. A decent attempt; but the movie misses the good parts of that movie and just copies the overall story flow - failing basketball team that's in the dumps, the coach tries to bring order and pushes the team through heavy practice and training; and voila - they start winning and heading to the top of the chart.

Ben Affleck does a pretty decent job but the direction is just not there (note - he's not directing it). A decent watch if you have nothing to do.

Long Shot: 2/5

For the first time, I found Seth Rogen extremely irritating throughout the movie; while Charlize Theron does a fairly good job. A rom-com movie setup with a comedy (attempted) flavor between a presidential candidate and an out-of-job reporter, the movie feels too fakish with glaring gaps throughout the movie.

No idea how this movie's got an 82% rating on RottenTomatoes!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th April 2020 at 07:12.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 12:26   #7644
Senior - BHPian

"Look Who's back". Old movie, German language but an excellent movie to watch. 5/5.

Available on Netflix.
nitinralli is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2020, 16:04   #7645
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Saw an exceptional movie last night. Molly's Game = 5/5 stars. Story of a gifted, strong & complicated gal who starts hosting illegal poker games. Lots of drama, superb performances. Influenced by a true story. Watch it and your weekend will be made .

GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th April 2020, 11:22   #7646
BHPian

The Glass Castle 2017 - 5/5

(True Story). Excellent star cast and supreme acting. Woody Harrelson, Brie Larson, Naomi Watts bring up the characters alive, there is a handful of kids (chracters) and Jenette (Brie younger role) did complete justice to the emotional upheavels of growing up in tough times.

Movie script and directing is nicely interwoven with flashbacks, makes one actually feel the pusle of most characters.

I am biased towards Woody Harrelson and think he is an outstanding actor. I think he deserved to get an Award for this!

Excellent Watch!
saildrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 10:46   #7647
BHPian

Got a message on what’s app with a link to view lot of movies for the benefit of people stuck at home in US. Don’t know if this is legit.
https://nites.tv/latest-movies-added/

Mods please delete if this is not a legitimate site.
Old 12th April 2020, 16:17   #7648
Senior - BHPian

Horror/ Thriller fans can check out Ready or Not on Hotstar. Decent timepass with a fairly unique theme, though the climax could probably have been better. A one time watch, especially in these Covid times when one is scouring for content to watch. Rating : 3/5

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 12th April 2020 at 16:30.
arindambasu13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 16:29   #7649
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherlocked View Post
That was a good movie

Also recommend you catch "The Mule" , against starring Clint Eastwood as an 80 year old person with major debts who becomes a drug mule. A light movie but worth watching

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mule.jpg
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th April 2020, 20:19   #7650
Senior - BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Wind River (2017), would rate it a 3.5 out of 5. This a slow paced drama, sort of a thriller. Jeremy Renner and Elizabeth Olsen are the leads, and the plot revolves around a murder in a snow ravaged landscape in the U.S, primarily inhabited by the native Indians. Nothing new about the plot, but the narration was quite gripping.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks