Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2020, 14:02   #7771
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Saw this amazing movie recently. "Sorry we missed you". Will give it 4 / 5 stars for the realistic story & performances. It's about a family that is struggling to make ends meet. Sensing an opportunity, the man buys a van and gets into the package delivery business.

I usually don't like British films at all, this one is an exception. Warning = it's a slow drama.

Last edited by GTO : 6th August 2020 at 17:32.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 11:49   #7772
Senior - BHPian

Watched First Man. Not sure how I had missed watching this 2018 movie. Very personal story from Neil Armstrong's life and the first landing on Moon.

You wont see many movies that a family can watch together now a days and it was a great one.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 12:55   #7773
Senior - BHPian

Saw an old film yesterday - 'The Accused' (1988).

Starring - Jodie Foster and Kelly McGillis ('Top Gun' co-star)

I would rate it a 4.5*

The plot is about a woman (Foster) being gang-raped, and the case is settled through plea bargain - without the consent of the victim. DA's assistant (McGillis) realises that injustice has been done and tries to ensure that the victim's side of the story is heard.....

Jodie Foster lives the role - especially the way she speaks; scenes of (hot blooded young american) males going bersek gave me the creeps....
vrprabhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 00:02   #7774
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently re-watched the Taken trilogy.

The original still solidly stands the test of time, but I will admit that part 2 is one of my guilty pleasures. Slightly disappointed with part 3, specially the storyline which was copied from The Fugitive, and that ending. It would have been better if they had continued with the Albanian gang angle from the first two films and shut down that story string for good in the 3rd. Still, good fun to see Liam Neeson in his Bryan Mills avatar.

Original - * * * ½
Sequel - * * *
Part 3 - * * ½

Overall - * * *
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 09:21   #7775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Original - * * * ½
Sequel - * * *
Part 3 - * * ½

Overall - * * *
I'm surprised at your rating of Taken 2. If Taken itself is 3.5 in your books, Taken 2 cannot be more than 2 for such a silly stupid sequel, that I don't want to waste my time with 3. May be you're too kind not to insult with 2*

Fan of Clint Eastwood? Not to miss Richard Jewell To an extent I would say this is how the media works for all the morning newspaper lovers out there!!

Last edited by aargee : 14th August 2020 at 09:22.
Old 14th August 2020, 21:22   #7776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I'm surprised at your rating of Taken 2. If Taken itself is 3.5 in your books, Taken 2 cannot be more than 2 for such a silly stupid sequel, that I don't want to waste my time with 3. May be you're too kind not to insult with 2*
That is why we call all such choices "guilty pleasures" - a book, film or song hated by many but loved by us. Whenever it is discussed, we admit to liking it with guilt in our eyes and a sheepish grin. Hence the ratings.

Marshland
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-mrsh.jpg

Superb Spanish whodunnit, complimented by taut direction, pacy script, fantastic all-round performances and some awesome, breathtaking cinematographic shots.

If you love a good suspense thriller, just watch this. Highly recommended.

RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2020, 22:47   #7777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
From the recent watch of mine selecting some of highly recommended watching ones...
Took a screenshot of your post few days back and watched them one by one except Bodyguard.

All of them are must watch and deserve 4/5 atleast. Found Signs a bit average or may be I was expecting too much after Sixth Sense from the director.
Old 15th August 2020, 06:10   #7778
Distinguished - BHPian

Project Power : 4 / 5

This is a very interesting spin to the mutant/superpower series. And the best part of the movie is not the good acting by Jamie Foxx or Levitt, it's the literally unknown Dominique Fishback who steals the movie away from such good actors on her own. That and some subtle integration of songs/music across the movie.

A good 2 hour weekend Netflix watch. If the only sore point with this movie, it's that the superpower genre is now getting a bit boring with the numerous "versions" across the board.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 15th August 2020 at 06:13.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2020, 23:39   #7779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Project Power : 4 / 5
A good 2 hour weekend Netflix watch. If the only sore point with this movie, it's that the superpower genre is now getting a bit boring with the numerous "versions" across the board.

+1
However what I found different was that there was no alpha vs alpha fight. All the powers were showcased in restrained manner so as to not take away from the prime motive of protagonist. My only gripe - corruption angle not explored, neither the science behind it all showcased. I would give it 3.5 on 5.
Old 17th August 2020, 11:04   #7780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Took a screenshot of your post few days back and watched them one by one except Bodyguard
Glad you found them useful. Thanks for letting know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Found Signs a bit average or may be I was expecting too much after Sixth Sense from the director.
Shaymlan's movies are slow moving, 2 primary characters, suspense & finally has a twist in the end. Even I get irritated sometimes; for instance, if you watch Unbreakable or Glass, the whole movie could've been shortened to 90 min or less, but still they were over 2 hours.

At the same time if you watch a movie like Man from Earth, they're full of dialogue oriented no action, no other background, the medium pace is well justified.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 16:09   #7781
BHPian

Have been hearing about the polish movie 365 days available in Netflix and the controversy surrounding it for the way erotic scenes are depicted in it. Decided to check it out and boy oh boy I was in for a shock!
I Have never watched a movie in Netflix with so much explicit/nude scenes. The plot is quite idiotic and acting by everyone is equally terrible but these actors just set the screen on fire! Definitely not a family watch.
Movie Rating -- 1/5
Other ratings! -- Please check for yourselves and rate it
RaghuVis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 17:11   #7782
Distinguished - BHPian

While looking for Training day, I happened upon an old classic (Well, 11 years old).
Street Kings starring Keanu Reeves, Forest Whittaker, and Chris Evans in an unremembered role.
Keanu is sort of like John Wick, in training with the PD. Sees corruption, is part of it, breaks out from it. Brilliant movie it is. Semi intelligent apart from the violence.

Rated 4.5/5
mayankk is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 16:10   #7783
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Putting up a strongly recommended rating for "First Man" which is now on Netflix. Neil Armstrong played brilliantly by Ryan Gosling.

GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2020, 17:39   #7784
BHPian

Annihilation (2018)

One more Sci-Fi from Alex Garland. I liked his earlier movie Ex-Machina so watched this movie, Quite impressed.

katsumoto is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2020, 23:42   #7785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

Marshland

Superb Spanish whodunnit, complimented by taut direction, pacy script, fantastic all-round performances and some awesome, breathtaking cinematographic shots.

If you love a good suspense thriller, just watch this. Highly recommended.

Thanks for sharing. Very satisfying movie. Rated 4*
DrvSafe is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks