Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2020, 11:45   #7861
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Saw Rose Island on Netflix over the weekend and it was a great watch.

And the fact that it's a true story is the cherry on top.
deetjohn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 21:24   #7862
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks! Will watch. I have a feeling you will love Whiplash, easily a 5 star movie IMHO.
I loved Whiplash when it was released few year’s back. Being a sucker for Oscar nominated movies, just enjoyed throughly and as you said, it’s indeed a top movie. J.K. Simmons was fantastic and deservedly won the Oscar for Supporting Actor. Thanks for the recommendation though

By the way, watched Unbroken on Amazon Prime recently and would recommend highly if one enjoys real life stories. The movie is about the World War 2 veteran Louis Zamperini and who was an Olympian as well. The movie is directed by Angelina Jolie and is a recommended watch. I personally loved it.

Last edited by ABHI_1512 : 14th December 2020 at 21:25.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 21:49   #7863
BHPian

If this is a glimpse of what 2021 is about to bring, I am super excited

Seems like Marvel is going to roll it in 2021 but after 'Better Call Saul' I have become a big fan of Bob Odenkirk, so I am looking forward to Nobody too

sunilch is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 11:35   #7864
Team-BHP Support

Watched Tenet last week.

What a film! - I'll be honest, I didn't go in expecting to understand the entire film. And I didn't. What happened - yes, why - no. Everything about the film is brilliant - that it makes you look beyond your understanding of science, oh-the-cinematography!, and of course, the style of story-telling.

A terrific experience, as is with Nolan films. This movie is 2 h 30min and not a second feels wasted. You come back with questions and wanting to watch it again, just to admire the beauty of the story.

5/5
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 13:14   #7865
Distinguished - BHPian

We watched "The Art of racing in the Rain" on Hotstar.
The Movie is a 5/5 and combines the love of a dog with the love of racing.
A must see for all TBHP Dog lovers!

Here is the Youtube trailer of the movie:

Last edited by Behemoth : 15th December 2020 at 13:15.
Behemoth is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 13:38   #7866
BHPian

Eye in the sky - 4.5 /5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I could connect with the decision making inability since I handle such people day in day out who keep pushing decision making to peers or higher ups.
Saw it yesterday on Amazon primevideo and totally agree with your comments. One time watch but enjoyed thoroughly.
Simhi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th December 2020, 14:17   #7867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Saw Rose Island on Netflix over the weekend and it was a great watch.

And the fact that it's a true story is the cherry on top.
Thanks for the recommendation. I saw the movie last night and it was just so good and had a certain causal demeanour to it. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Old 16th December 2020, 16:26   #7868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Watched Tenet last week.

What a film! - I'll be honest, I didn't go in expecting to understand the entire film. And I didn't. What happened - yes, why - no. Everything about the film is brilliant - that it makes you look beyond your understanding of science, oh-the-cinematography!, and of course, the style of story-telling.

A terrific experience, as is with Nolan films. This movie is 2 h 30min and not a second feels wasted. You come back with questions and wanting to watch it again, just to admire the beauty of the story.

5/5
I think its like one of those movies which works for some people and doesn't work at all for others.

Its definitely a movie to be watched at least twice, If you really want to "understand" it.

It does challenge the viewer's mind, but unlike inception doesn't give you a closure(as a viewer)

Its one of those movies that has great potential, has awesome cinematography, and presentation and will most probably become a cult classic, but in the end doesn't leave you satisfied.

My rating : 3/5

IMHO: If this was made into a series it would be mind bendigly awesome.

Last edited by ZenMaster : 16th December 2020 at 16:32. Reason: Grammar
ZenMaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 00:20   #7869
Senior - BHPian

Saw this on Netflix today. Somehow it escaped my attention and that's surprising as I really like John Travolta since Broken Arrow and he is absolutely great in this.
Extremely well made movie. If you are a sucker for murder mysteries like me then you will definitely enjoy this. Won't say much as it can lead to spoilers. It's a bit on the dark side.

Fair warning - Don't watch it with family.

Rating - 8/10
Attached Thumbnails
The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)-screenshot_20201224001438_imdb.jpg  

harry10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 12:25   #7870
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonder Woman 1984: 2 / 5

Utterly disappointed by this one. Gal Gadot is as usual awesome in her role, and not surprising anymore, Pedro Pascal (Mandalorian anyone?) does a pretty decent job of the bad guy, but the movie lacks a flow through and through the movie. Yes, there are villains but they don't really act as villains. WWoman plays her part of the superhero-with-a-flaw, who recognizes it in the very early part of the movie but then flounders around it till the movie has reached the climax situation. Chris Pine is present throughout the movie but practically plays a role of just a guest appearance.

Worst of all, after the recent Justice League movie, this seemingly 1984 based story seems way out of place and all confusing. Give it a miss if you were planning to head to the theatre to watch this one. As already available on HBOMax, I'm sure the HBO TV channel will pick it less than a month from now for sure.

--------------------------------------------------

On a different note, The History of Swear Words is an interesting movie to look forward to

ninjatalli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2020, 19:06   #7871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Utterly disappointed by this..
Fully agree.

In other words, WB did not disappoint. They have been consistent in their shoddy treatment of wonderful DC assets they have!!
Old 28th December 2020, 08:32   #7872
Senior - BHPian

Once up on a time in Hollywood : 2/5, I know its been more than a year since this movie released, and somehow I could not get myself to watch this earlier. In fact I started this movie twice on Amazon prime and gave up within the first 20 minutes. So I said lets be patient and see this thru, and i did so earlier this weekend. I thought something good will come about somewhere halfway in the movie, given the connection to the real story around the Charles Manson, but absolutely nothing!
The movie is just to showcase the environment around Hollywood in that era, and the whole concept of playing a pointless movie within the movie for so much of time is absurd. We have all seen Westerns, so why play something within the movie for so many instances?

Generally, I have felt that Tarantino has been one of these highly over rated directors. Apart from Reservoir dogs, I have not really liked any of his other movies. Kill bill may be one of those cult movies, radical and a bit quirky, not much other than that.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 18:04   #7873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Utterly disappointed by this one. Gal Gadot is as usual awesome in her role, and not surprising anymore, Pedro Pascal (Mandalorian anyone?) does a pretty decent job of the bad guy, but the movie lacks a flow through and through the movie. Yes, there are villains but they don't really act as villains. WWoman plays her part of the superhero-with-a-flaw, who recognizes it in the very early part of the movie but then flounders around it till the movie has reached the climax situation. Chris Pine is present throughout the movie but practically plays a role of just a guest appearance.

Worst of all, after the recent Justice League movie, this seemingly 1984 based story seems way out of place and all confusing. Give it a miss if you were planning to head to the theatre to watch this one. As already available on HBOMax, I'm sure the HBO TV channel will pick it less than a month from now for sure.

--------------------------------------------------

Rating: 2/5

Agree with you completely. I started watching expecting a Hollywood movie and ended up watching what was essentially a Bollywood/Tamil Superhero masala movie with scanty logic and liberal use of bad physics and unxeplained powers that conveniently pop up at the right time.

The movie does one of the biggest sins in story telling. It breaks the rules of its own plot(device) multiple times and that too for major stuff.

This entire movie should ideally take place in a different timeline, otherwise this completely changes everything that DC movies have shown us over the years

As for HBO TV channel. Warner Brothers have officially ended operations for HBO and WBmovies in India (as in shutting down Channels HBO and WB movies) and some other Asian countries and will be focussing on HBO Max.

If what I read is correct, Cartoon Network and POGO are the only ones that will continue broadcasting

https://thetechportal.com/2020/10/15...ut-down-india/
ZenMaster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 18:36   #7874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
[b]

As for HBO TV channel. Warner Brothers have officially ended operations for HBO and WBmovies in India (as in shutting down Channels HBO and WB movies) and some other Asian countries and will be focussing on HBO Max.
OT: Thanks for that. Was wondering where my HBO vanished off to from the channel list
Old 29th December 2020, 20:50   #7875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post

Generally, I have felt that Tarantino has been one of these highly over rated directors. Apart from Reservoir dogs, I have not really liked any of his other movies. Kill bill may be one of those cult movies, radical and a bit quirky, not much other than that.
You mean to say you didn't like Pulp Fiction, quite possibly the greatest movie ever (or thereabouts!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks