Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2016, 02:00   #6361
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Sanskari Dead Pool - 9/10

This is a super hero movie from the eyes of a 10 year old kid. No, seriously, it is. Absolutely no fancy-shmancy plot, just a super sarcastic super hero out to save his gal from the bad guys. Must watch if you love watching leave-your-brain-at-home kinda movies.

That being said, that piece of crap commonly known as the censor board has played spoil sport with the dialogues. There's no point in labeling a movie "A" and then muting the profanity.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd February 2016 at 02:50. Reason: I understand the point but a civil tone & language needs to be maintained on the forum. Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 09:40   #6362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Sanskari Dead Pool - 9/10.
Liked the movie and saw it in imax. However there are many deadpan characters (x-men crap) and lousy acting from most others in the cast. Something about the movie that has made it so likable, maybe it's Ryan and dialogue delivery. Add in the desi taxi driver and the Hindi songs, you have an additional quarter of a billion prospective audience...
Old 22nd February 2016, 11:36   #6363
BHPian

Spotlight

Caught up with it this weekend, and I must say this is a front-runner for Best Film at Oscars.

The movie is about a journalists' team investigating about and bringing out the stories behind child molestation by priests in Boston, based on the true scandal that was uncovered in 2001.
It plays out diligently without wasting much time and keeps the screenplay very simplistic without much drama (or I should say unnecessary thrilling moments created in most such movies).

The cast is also top notch, assembling together the likes of Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Liev Schreiber, Stanley Tucci, ...

Its a 4/5 for me.
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:50   #6364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
Spotlight

Caught up with it this weekend, and I must say this is a front-runner for Best Film at Oscars.
Its a 4/5 for me.
Totally agree with you!
The movie was really well-made. No usual Hollywood dramatisation.
Simple and to the point yet packs a punch!

Sadly, the theater where i watched there were hardly 10 of us. Goes to show that such movies are never appreciated in our country unlike the hyped ones.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd February 2016 at 02:46. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 12:53   #6365
BHPian

Quote:
Spotlight

Its a 4/5 for me.
I just watched it this weekend and I agree fully about the simple screenplay. Simple but compelling. Cast is great and it's an excellent movie overall. Highly recommended.

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd February 2016 at 02:46. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 22nd February 2016, 13:12   #6366
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Bridge of Spies.

Spielberg + Tom Hanks, what can go wrong?
This is turning out to be pretty good. I unfortunately don't have the luxury of a single sit-down to finish a movie, and have to make a series of episodes out of one. So far, into the second half, and it is pretty taut!
Old 22nd February 2016, 15:21   #6367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by a*ed View Post
Sadly, the theater where i watched there were hardly 10 of us......
You got lucky!

Given the average etiquette level of an Indian theater-goer these days, I'd jump at the chance of watching a good movie by myself. I can concentrate on the movie instead of having my aural senses assaulted by constant giggling, chit-chat and other assorted annoying distractions.
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:18   #6368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Sanskari Dead Pool - 9/10

This is a super hero movie from the eyes of a 10 year old kid. No, seriously, it is. Absolutely no fancy-shmancy plot, just a super sarcastic super hero out to save his gal from the bad guys. Must watch if you love watching leave-your-brain-at-home kinda movies.
Since you are calling it Sanskari Dead Pool, do you think it is fine to take kids for the movie? I wish to watch this movie, but preferably with my 7 year old daughter. She loves all the Marvel stuff.
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:34   #6369
BHPian

Quote:
Spotlight

Its a 4/5 for me.
Nice movie. I would also rate it 4/5. Only thing about the movie was that it was lacking in intensity. It all seemed too easy to expose, and while there was a continuous reference throughout the movie as to how hard the Church would come down on them, it never really happened. But well played by all the lead characters and well done for not overdoing the depiction.
Old 22nd February 2016, 16:46   #6370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
You got lucky!

Given the average etiquette level of an Indian theater-goer these days, I'd jump at the chance of watching a good movie by myself. I can concentrate on the movie instead of having my aural senses assaulted by constant giggling, chit-chat and other assorted annoying distractions.
Lucky we were indeed!

I have had some really bad experiences watching movies in a packed theater.
Watched Deadpool the friday it was released here and this moron, who sat behind me, kept clapping (which in fact kept reverberating in my ears), screaming, saying things like "arey waah"! He even kept saying the dialogues out loud! I was in half a mind to hurl the popcorn tub at him. Was totally annoyed and he successfully managed to ruin an otherwise kick-ass movie.

And please don't get me started on idiots who keep fiddling with their mobile phones when the movie is on.

Sometimes i wonder how awesome it would be if each seat in a theater had a set of headphones to give that awesome cinematic experience. I wouldn't mind paying a little extra to go watch a movie in such a theater.

Last edited by a*ed : 22nd February 2016 at 16:48.
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:05   #6371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
I wish to watch this movie, but preferably with my 7 year old daughter.
Kids below 18 will not be allowed to watch this as this is 'A' rated even though the dialogues were muted at a lot of places. I got a warning that entry would be allowed only after verification of age when booking tickets online for this movie.

Also, I don't think you would like your 7 year old to be exposed to such language!
Old 22nd February 2016, 19:24   #6372
BHPian

Yes Spotlight was brilliant, fortunately uncensored - no bleeping despite lots of profanity/adult language.

But why then did the censor board go rabid with their scissors for Deadpool even after giving it an A certificate?

Its this stupid unpredictability & randomness that makes them a joke.
Old 22nd February 2016, 21:27   #6373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Since you are calling it Sanskari Dead Pool, do you think it is fine to take kids for the movie? I wish to watch this movie, but preferably with my 7 year old daughter. She loves all the Marvel stuff.
Dude, The movie is rated "A". So you can't, or I should rather say, shouldn't take anyone under the age of 18 to the movie, let alone your 7 year old daughter.

I'm calling it "sanskari" because there's no point in making a hard core "A" rated movie like Deadpool, where the fun lies in the comic relief brought on by sassy dialogues, inappropriate sex related jokes, and in-general stuff which only adults will like, and then the censor board trimming out the dialogues

Last edited by Technocrat : 23rd February 2016 at 02:51. Reason: Edited post content I understand the frustration but a civil tone & language needs to be maintained on the forum. Thanks
Old 27th February 2016, 02:12   #6374
BHPian

Watched 'The Revenant' today.

And oh my god, what a wonderfully made movie. The cinematography is just amazing.

Not much of a story, but the screenplay keeps you hooked.
DiCaprio totally owns this movie. Whether he wins an Oscar for this or not, he's an amazing actor! Period.

4.5/5

This movie has to be watched on the big screen!
Old 27th February 2016, 09:50   #6375
Team-BHP Support

The Revenant - 4.9/5

Bloody hell, what a movie!

Insane acting by DiCaprio - I really hope he gets the Academy Award this time! Tom Hardy too paired up well as his adversary. Cinematography was done by Emmanuel Lubezki - the same guy behind Gravity and Children of Men. Amazingly done. Just felt it could have been a wee bit shorter. Highly recommended if you like the survival thriller genre.

Surprisingly no censoring - gore, nudity, expletives (came up in subtitles as well!). Not suitable for children.

EDIT: Looks like the movie was actually shot in harsh cold climate and several crew left the filming!

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th February 2016 at 13:54.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks