Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2016, 03:28   #6421
JD1
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

If you are in mood to watch a thriller where the main character is an arms dealer, watch Nicolas Cage's 2005 movie "Lord of War". And though I am a fan of over-the-top-crazy Nicolas, he doesn't go over the top in this movie for a change !!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399295/?ref_=nv_sr_5
Old 8th May 2016, 05:03   #6422
Senior - BHPian

If you want to watch a fun movie do check out Robert de Niro and Zac Efron in Bad Grandpa. Hilarious comedy which has a predictable storyline. Worth a watch.

3/5 stars
Old 8th May 2016, 08:29   #6423
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1 View Post
If you are in mood to watch a thriller where the main character is an arms dealer, watch Nicolas Cage's 2005 movie "Lord of War". And though I am a fan of over-the-top-crazy Nicolas, he doesn't go over the top in this movie for a change !!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399295/?ref_=nv_sr_5
That movie is a class act. And yes, I too am an OTT Cage fan. This, and matchstick men, they're two of the greatest ever, in my opinion.
Old 8th May 2016, 13:02   #6424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
The Jungle Book - 4.5/5

Its a brilliant movie, well made with good graphics.

All in all a good watch.
Agree wholeheartedly.

4.5/5 from my side too.
Old 8th May 2016, 14:03   #6425
BHPian

Saw Captain America Civil War on Friday. Rating 4/5.

Movie has a more broad based appeal and will also be liked by people who aren't invested in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as yet. It is not afraid to make fun of itself and the Marvel fare. Quite a few one liners. Although it is ~ 2 hours 26 you don't feel it's long. There is always something happening and there isn't any time that is "wasted".

Two new characters get introduced. Black Panther (has a very interesting entrance into the movie) and Spider-Man (now that Marvel has bought the rights back from Sony, so he is actually "new" to Marvel movies)

If you have already seen Winter Soldier and AntMan you would "get" a little more out of this movie. For those that haven't- would still enjoy it as much.

I somehow forgot to wait right till the end credits were over. There are always some scenes post/during the end credits. So don't rush out when you see the credits starting.
Old 8th May 2016, 15:16   #6426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post

I somehow forgot to wait right till the end credits were over. There are always some scenes post/during the end credits. So don't rush out when you see the credits starting.
Yes there are. Two in fact. Gives a glimpse of what to expect in the coming years from Marvel!
Old 8th May 2016, 15:36   #6427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Saw Captain America Civil War on Friday. Rating 4/5.

I saw the movie yesterday and it was very entertaining with good one-liners especially in the main all-hands battle. There are 2 additional scenes - one mid-credits scene and one post-credits scene. Don't forget to miss those.

Last edited by Technocrat : 9th May 2016 at 21:52. Reason: Please quote selectively as a long quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 08:02   #6428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonSnow View Post
I saw the movie yesterday and it was very entertaining with good one-liners especially in the main all-hands battle. There are 2 additional scenes - one mid-credits scene and one post-credits scene. Don't forget to miss those.

Went to see it yesterday as well. I enjoyed it and so did my wife who is usually not so much into these sort of movies. The big battle scene has some great dialogue.

We saw it in 3D, which to me is a waste of time and money. But it only shows in 3D at the PVR Director's Cut in Vasant Kunj, Delhi. A very nice cinema by the way!

Jeroen
Old 9th May 2016, 21:58   #6429
Senior - BHPian

Captain America - Civil War

Now this is how a super hero internal conflict movie should look like & not the crap that WB doled out with Dawn of Justice.

The Russo brothers return to direct the next installment of the Captain America Saga & what a sequel(If I may call this one so) great storyline, amazing sequences, great fights & enough CGI to keep everyone excited yet keep the overall feel real & not like its a video game (hint DoJ). They have done justice with all characters especially the new ones.

As others have shared great dialogs which are both funny & serious as per situation.

Absolutely enjoyed it.

4/5
Old 9th May 2016, 22:33   #6430
BHPian

Watched yesterday '10 Cloverfield Lane' by débutante director Dan Trachtenberg. Quite fascinating. with potential to be remembered as a cult classic.

Week before, it was 'Jungle Book'. and before that somewhat low profile 'Eye in the Sky'. A diverse mix of Hollywood movies, apart from Oscar favourites, has been on display for the last couple of months. A true treat for movie buffs.
Old 9th May 2016, 23:18   #6431
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsm97 View Post
Watched yesterday '10 Cloverfield Lane' by débutante director Dan Trachtenberg. Quite fascinating. with potential to be remembered as a cult classic.
I was waiting for this movie since ages and absolutely loved it. The highlight were all the subtle nuances in it and the later implications of those small nuances. John Goodman and Mary Elizabeth Winstead were amazing in their roles as the abuser and abuse victim. The last 20 minutes were totally unexpected though - carried the movie in a very different direction. A solid 4.5/5 from me.
Old 9th May 2016, 23:32   #6432
Senior - BHPian

Was there anyone else who watched Civil War with children? Unless i missed something I found the kiss between Cap and his niece about as relevant as an item number in a hindi movie - not to mention scrambling to distract our five year old from the scene.

Other than that, must watch movie. Good masala - good action and great fighting. The storyline is about as weak as such movies come. But for God's sake, storylines don't really matter to me in such movies.
Old 10th May 2016, 16:06   #6433
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, finally got around to BatmanVSuperman.

I would rate it as 4/5.
What caught me out was Affleck as the Bat. He was good, in that, "Thats Ben Affleck??WOW!!", and not in , "Grey bats better than Black bat(Bale)". Not even by a smidgen.

I can understand how this may be building up to the JL, but I seriously cannot imagine this visual treatment on the JL mainstays. Maybe if you only have subset of the JL, with J'onn, Superman, and batman only.
With GL, Flash, even wonder woman, I really am not sure. Need some faff, especially with the flash, to some extent, with GL too.

Doomsday, I am sorry for you.

PS: One scene was giggle fest. "I am going to kill you, I am going to kill you." Martha?? I will help you, I will help you"! What?
Old 10th May 2016, 16:17   #6434
BHPian

The Choice . 3/5.

Good dialogues in the first half though towards the last 30 minutes movie felt bit of a drag.

The Finest Hours 3.5/5

Great visual scenes but no chemistry between the leading couple.
Old 15th May 2016, 11:23   #6435
GTO
Team-BHP Support

In the mood for drama? The Contender. Highly recommended. Will give the movie a rating of 4/5, and the performances of Jeff Bridges & Joan Allen a full 5/5. You will love Bridges in this movie - he defines charisma. He is so good that Wikipedia says:

Quote:
In 2008, President Barack Obama, then running for President, named Jackson Evans as his favorite fictional president in an article in Entertainment Weekly.

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2016 at 11:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks