Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2015, 02:18   #6286
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Creed: 8/10

Apart from the lead actors slightly wooden acting, it is a very good watch. Rocky Balboa fans will love it, no doubt. In case you don't know anything about Rocky Balboa? Well, time to rent it on NetFlix I guess? Creed. Must watch!
Old 14th December 2015, 12:40   #6287
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
you can also check out Syriana, if you havent seen it already. Like Munich, it is also an intense movie .
Thanks! Will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Well, time to rent it on NetFlix I guess?
While Netflix's service & delivery quality is top class, the choice of movies SUCKS. There are only a sprinkle of A+ movies, a handful of A- movies, and most of the stuff is B & C grade. It takes a LOT of searching time to find something worthwhile on Netflix.

Tell you a solution that is 10 times better.

The best movies are on TV (Netflix is the last option for any movie studio in terms of $$$). Look at prime time movies on TV and you'll see mostly A-grade flicks.

See the schedule online, login to mytatasky.com and give the recording command to your HD-R box and you're all set. I currently have about 30 brilliant movies waiting to be watched on my Tata Sky box.
Old 16th December 2015, 07:58   #6288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Watched two brilliant movies last week! Both are easily 5/5 flicks and are based on real-life events. Highly recommended.

Munich

The Insider (Al Pacino & Russell Crowe)
Here's a different thought looking at your recent recos:
Deutschland 83, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deutschland_83
A gripping series in German, watch with English subtitles. The production values given the setting bang in the middle of cold war Germany, the 80s soundtrack in the background... A must watch

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 19th December 2015 at 23:46. Reason: Removing youtube urls from quoted post.
Old 18th December 2015, 15:23   #6289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
A gripping series in German, watch with English subtitles. The production values given the setting bang in the middle of cold war Germany, the 80s soundtrack in the background... A must watch
agree. waiting for season 2. strange coincidence, i just posted about it in the TV series thread before coming to this thread.

here is what i saw recently:

- The Good Dinosaur . had to take daughter out for a movie. will recommend this one for kids.

- Assassination (Chinese, 2015). slightly long movie but entertaining. Nice movie sets and plot.

- Hit man Agent 47 (2015). avoid.

- Kung fu killer (2014). for martial arts fans. in fact the movie seems like a tribute to the big screen names of martial arts.

- The Connection (French, 2014). tells the French side of the story of the 1971 the french connection. good one.

- Momentum (2015). awful acting, really awful. good action set pieces though.

- Blow Out (1981, Dir: De Palma, starring Travolta). nice suspense.
Old 19th December 2015, 20:54   #6290
Senior - BHPian

Catch Me If You Can (2002)

A well made movie of a 16 years old who conned PANAM airlines, banks across the world in the 60s. The movie brilliantly captures the 60s look and feel. But it suffers from hollywoodization. The film story differs from the actual story and hence creates a bit of loopholes. Rating: 7/10

PS: I watched Frank Abagnale telling his story on Youtube. I would rate it 10/10.

Old 20th December 2015, 09:13   #6291
BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Amazing to watch the true story about the real life of Frank A. Got tears to my eyes when he shared about family values.

Last edited by Happysmiles : 20th December 2015 at 09:16.
Old 21st December 2015, 05:40   #6292
Distinguished - BHPian

Creed: 2.5/5
Stallone does a repeat of the underdog story with a new variant - Apollo Creed's (Rocky 1 & 2) son picks up the boxing saga trying to make his name in the world using Rocky's support. Ok-ish watch - the first half is good; however the second half kinda with all its bells & whistles makes it boring. The end fight scene is a drag.

Sicario: 3.5/5
Brilliant movie. Fast paced with the suspense kept all along; you can feel Emily Blunt's frustration (of her not being given any information) so strongly. Josh Berlin plays a meh kind of supporting role, but it's Benicio del Toro who comes into the elements in the second half and steals the show.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens: 4/5
Let me make it clear - no spoilers here.

For those who are die-hard fans and know the story in and out, you probably have already watched it Here's my view - JJ Adams plays it safe. All bases are covered. But nothing new. Nothing that blows away your mind. Hence the 4 stars.

For folks being introduced to the Star Wars saga, this will be an awesome movie experience. The plot is great, you have British humor littered throughout the movie; the chemistry among the cast is great, old and new. Amazing cinematography. Definitely a movie not to be missed.

And please, watch it in IMAX. Or atleast 3D. It's worth it!
Old 21st December 2015, 17:36   #6293
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiusPitar View Post
A gripping series in German, watch with English subtitles.
Thanks! But I usually avoid getting hooked to series as I'd rather watch a different movie / story each time instead of the same. The only two shows I'm hooked onto are 'House of cards' and 'How to get away with murder'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Oh, this is a phenomenal movie with brilliant acting by Leonardo. If you like him, don't miss 'the wolf of wall street'.
Old 23rd December 2015, 02:51   #6294
Senior - BHPian

Creed- Stallone still rocks. I really feel because of his well built body and action hero image he never got proper credit for his acting skills which are really good. The guy who played Creed also did a good job. Engaging movie from start till end.
Rating - 8/10

Sicario - Disappointing. They had such good opportunity to do wonders with the script but it's hugely let down by turning into just another revenge story with tons of dumbness. Cinematography is great, so is the acting but script is too weak and in the end you keep wondering what was the whole point of the movie except for revenge.
Oh ya and Emily Blunt looks like a complete naive fool in the entire movie and this role didn't suit her at all.
Rating - 5/10
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:41   #6295
BHPian

Snowpiercer - wow of a sleeper. Brutal, as you would expect from Koreans. Certainly NOT for the faint hearted.
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:56   #6296
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Catch Me If You Can (2002)

A well made movie of a 16 years old who conned PANAM airlines, banks across the world in the 60s. The movie brilliantly captures the 60s look and feel. But it suffers from hollywoodization. The film story differs from the actual story and hence creates a bit of loopholes. Rating: 7/10
Here's a binge for you. Watch everything with DiCaprio. Revolution road, Gatsby, django, Edgar, everything. You will not be disappointed.
Old 23rd December 2015, 15:32   #6297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Snowpiercer - wow of a sleeper. Brutal, as you would expect from Koreans. Certainly NOT for the faint hearted.
remember having seen it last year. nice movie but is an acquired taste. not for every one. did cringe a lot but still couldnt stop watching.

Another in somewhat similar vein is Transsiberian (2008). though this movie is a thriller and not a sci-fi.
Old 23rd December 2015, 21:16   #6298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
... not for every one...
True, especially if you can't stomach dialogues like "babies taste better" ..

Caught 'Blue Ruin' over the weekend - love it for its long silences, short meaningful dialogues and brutal twists.

Last edited by WindRide : 23rd December 2015 at 21:17.
Old 23rd December 2015, 22:42   #6299
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Here's a binge for you. Watch everything with DiCaprio. Revolution road, Gatsby, django, Edgar, everything. You will not be disappointed.
Eagerly waiting for 8th Jan & this
Looks like Jan is going to be a good month
1st Jan - Sherlock
8th Jan - The revenant
15th Jan - The hateful eight

Also found this list of probable oscar nominations Haven’t watched a lot on this list.
Old 24th December 2015, 18:32   #6300
BHPian

Saw this movie named Sicario.

The story is very straightforward. Acting done by the leads is brilliant. Emily Blunt steals the show with her character making you understand her pain and helplessness. Seldom does any movie do so.

The second half is a completely different story, as you get to see the stellar performance of Benicio del Toro, who basically stays covert for all of the first half.
I made an amusing observation - that if Brad Pitt were Latin America, he would look exactly like del Toro once he crossed 50.

Anyway, this is one fine movie which has deserved it's ratings thoroughly.

Rating : 8.5/10

Most Viewed