Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2016, 05:30   #6316
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafioso View Post
Have been hunting for this movie for a long time, could not find any suitable links streaming or downloading. Can you please let me know from where you found it??
Watched it in the theatre.

Maddy

Last edited by Technocrat : 28th January 2016 at 00:48. Reason: Sorry but we dont allow any discussion on piracy sites. Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 07:21   #6317
Senior - BHPian

The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

The Intern - 5/5

Beautiful movie about a retiree getting back to work and how he adjusts with the people around him. Loved it.

Max - 4/5

It's about a Marine sniffer dog who's handler get killed in action and the things that happen to the dog when he's back stateside. No Hollywood style frills, but tells the story beautifully. And oh, it's based on a true story.
Old 27th January 2016, 12:07   #6318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Watched The Big Short....
Saw this movie over long weekend. I understand it was dumbed down to such an extent that any truck driver / barmaid could understand what blind-sided them, but it could have been enacted with more seriousness it deserved. There are plenty of times it was over-melodramatic and silly. Mr.Carrell's get up and constipated look was annoying and Mr.Pitt was supremely wasted - unpardonable crime!!

Last edited by WindRide : 27th January 2016 at 12:10.
Old 27th January 2016, 14:32   #6319
BHPian

Caught up The Revenant a few of days back, and its an awesome experience.
The story-line is simple and you will get the hang of it from IMDB snapshot itself, its the screenplay and cinematography that keeps you hooked onto every scene.
Read somewhere its all natural scenery that they have used, no artificial lighting either.
Leo is amazing (Academy should not have any reason to ignore him now) as is Tom Hardy as the adversary, but star is the director I would say.

4.5/5
Old 27th January 2016, 19:57   #6320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Saw this movie over long weekend. I understand it was dumbed down to such an extent that any truck driver / barmaid could understand what blind-sided them, but it could have been enacted with more seriousness it deserved. There are plenty of times it was over-melodramatic and silly. Mr.Carrell's get up and constipated look was annoying and Mr.Pitt was supremely wasted - unpardonable crime!!
True, even I felt that they could've been a little more detailed and business-like in their storyline. However looking back now I am actually liking the movie better this way. You can say it's a comedy, a comedy written such that the gist of the story stays in everyone's minds. Steve Carell's reactions are sort of natural for a man who sees legendary levels of stupidity come out of debtors & bankers mouths, they film-makers might've wanted everyone to laugh at how unprofessional these so called big banks are. The way I see it they've used three unique reactions to this stupidity using 3 characters - Christian Bale's character is the quiet person who reacted by taking advantage of the bankers stupidity to benefit his investment firm, Steve Carell's character is half angry and wants the world to understand the monumental madness that's going on, as for Brad Pitt well he was just there as more of a guest role.
Old 27th January 2016, 22:11   #6321
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
..You can say it's a comedy, a comedy written such that the gist of the story stays in everyone's minds....
Sarcastic, may be but defintely not a Comedy. That would be an insult to the film makers and to the message itself.

Moving on...
There are movies that show soldiers for what they really are - just ordinary Joes forced into barbaric situations not of their own will or liking - 'Letters from Iwo Jima' comes to my mind.

And then there are movies that convey the same from the two sides of a prison wall - 'Camp X Ray' left me stunned with its maturity, silent expressions and lingering sadness and silent rage towards the end, at not being able to correct an obvious wrong.

Unforgettable little gem. Highly recommended for the thinking types.

Last edited by WindRide : 27th January 2016 at 22:20.
Old 27th January 2016, 22:42   #6322
BHPian

I saw the Danish Girl and it is an unbelievable performance from Eddie Redmayne. The way he portrays his tormented sexuality was unbelievable. The subject was a bit uncomfortable at first but you gotta hand it to Eddie. I think Leo will get a run for his money this year as well.
Old 27th January 2016, 23:44   #6323
Senior - BHPian

Watched the following movies in the last few weeks:

Martian - Good acting, some artistic liberties taken w.r.t scientific accuracy, but I feel Gravity and Interstellar are the benchmarks in this genre now.
Revenant - Give Leo the Oscar and get done with it, please ?
Sicario - Dark movie, good acting by everyone, a bit underwhelming ending.
Bridge of Spies - Very good allround acting, some artistic liberties taken w.r.t historical events.
Sherlock - The abominable bride - Sherlock going retro, the inception way !
Old 28th January 2016, 13:13   #6324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
There are movies that show soldiers for what they really are - just ordinary Joes forced into barbaric situations not of their own will or liking - 'Letters from Iwo Jima' comes to my mind.
You might also want to see 'Das Boot', a wee bit long movie but well worth the watch and it is gripping all the way till the end.
Old 28th January 2016, 13:19   #6325
Senior - BHPian

Bridge of spies: Pretty good acting.

The last witch hunter: oh god why

Succumbing to peer pressure from friends i started watching the star war's series. watched the first three and what was common was that i ended up having a headache after watching them ): fans kindly excuse :P i'll stick to star trek any day.
Old 31st January 2016, 13:34   #6326
BHPian

Finally saw Sicario. Underwhelming is the after taste. I am not sure if portraying Blunt too much as a novice was intentional (the character portrayal didn't make any sense) or was it the typical patronising sketch of women.

Bridge of Spies- good acting but an Oscar nomination for it? I didn't feel so. Somehow the onscreen tension wasn't to the level that Argo or Munich or Syriana had.
Old 31st January 2016, 18:38   #6327
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Watched a classic today. We all know the story, yet it's a riveting watch, all thanks to an outstanding performance by Ben Kingsley. If you haven't already, watch it - will blow you away.

Gandhi - 5 / 5

Old 31st January 2016, 22:28   #6328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Watched a classic today. We all know the story, yet it's a riveting watch, all thanks to an outstanding performance by Ben Kingsley. If you haven't already, watch it - will blow you away.

Gandhi - 5 / 5
Yeah. Ben Kingsley's performance is commendable. In fact I watched the move only cause of him.

Having to know his Indian roots, the curiosity was even more.
Old 2nd February 2016, 23:45   #6329
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Gandhi - 5 / 5
And before the image of Kingsley as Gandhi vanishes from your mind, do watch Kingsley in Sexy Beast

That's a completely different character

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 4th February 2016 at 08:24. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
Old 3rd February 2016, 00:35   #6330
BHPian

For those of you who have Netflix, watch narcos and peaky blinders. I promise they'll be worth it. Not movies but excellent tv shows.

Also, in movies, watch the boy in the striped pajamas- a great nazi era movie of the whole situation from the perspective of a child whose father is a soldier in the nazi army. Again on Netflix!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks