Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2018, 00:58   #7066
Senior - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Sicario 2: I was disappointed. Pace was slow, the story hinged on the fact that there would be a part three. Why is hollywood so bent on not finishing the story they started saying. I dont think this will be much of a commercial success like part 1.

Now i am looking forward to Narcos season 4.

2.5/5 is my rating.

Maddy
Old 10th July 2018, 11:01   #7067
BHPian

Saw 'GeoStorm' In Amazon Prime. The movie received mostly negative reviews everywhere. But I differ. It was a 'feel good ' movie with stellar cast : Gerald Butler, Andy Garcia, Ed Harris and Abbie Cornish. It has the right mix of intrigue, suspense and action to float to the surface. It is not a regular run-of-the-mill apocalyptic Sci-fi movie.
Rating: 4/5

Last edited by Prowler : 10th July 2018 at 11:03. Reason: Added rating as an after thought
Old 10th July 2018, 11:54   #7068
BHPian

Watched "The Man from Earth" based on the high recommendations here. Enjoyed it thoroughly and would certainly recommend it to folks who enjoy dialog driven movies.

There was an advertisement for "The Man from Earth: Holocene", a sequel to the original. Has anyone seen it? If yes, how would you rate it.

Some other dialog-centric movies that I have enjoyed in the past and would recommend are:
- Twelve Angry Men
- The Before trilogy (Before Sunrise, Before Sunset and Before Midnight)

- Prasad
Old 10th July 2018, 11:54   #7069
Distinguished - BHPian

I was skimming through the channels and suddenly saw a slow off-beat movie which had already run for 20-odd minutes. Couldn't move on and watched "Maudie" on &Prive HD over the weekend. It was a heart-touching movie with some brilliant acting.

Rating- 4/5
Old 10th July 2018, 12:09   #7070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnredkar View Post
Watched "The Man from Earth" based on the high recommendations here. Enjoyed it thoroughly and would certainly recommend it to folks who enjoy dialog driven movies.

There was an advertisement for "The Man from Earth: Holocene", a sequel to the original. Has anyone seen it? If yes, how would you rate it.
I have seen "The Man from Earth: Holocene" - comes no where close to the original. So don't bother, you won't miss anything.
Old 11th July 2018, 10:24   #7071
Senior - BHPian

Watched Super troopers 2.

While not as good as the first one, it was still hilarious! Good movie to watch with friends or all alone forgetting your worries.

Terminal: Watch only for Margot Robbie. Otherwise avoid.
Old 11th July 2018, 22:26   #7072
Distinguished - BHPian

Incredibles 2 : 2.5 / 5

I could repeat @maddy42's points word to word for Incredibles 2. Only difference - there was some additional "message" that the movie tries to deliver - equality between sexes; the addiction to technology and devices; but overall it gets lost because of the movie genre - animation.

Plus the movie ends in a manner clearly apt for the 3rd movie; which would definitely be focussed on Jack Jack.

Disappointed. The movie ain't that bad. But I expected much more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
Sicario 2: I was disappointed. Pace was slow, the story hinged on the fact that there would be a part three.
Old 27th July 2018, 12:20   #7073
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Watched 'The Grey' on Netflix last night. Loved it. Many gripping scenes. Rating it 4 / 5 stars (am a Liam Neeson fan).

Old 27th July 2018, 12:58   #7074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Watched 'The Grey' on Netflix last night. Loved it. Many gripping scenes. Rating it 4 / 5 stars (am a Liam Neeson fan).
Gripping movie indeed! Me and the wife loved it.

Watched a few movies over the last few days [thanks to endless train journeys]

Unthinkable: Intense movie. Does the end justify the means. 4/5

Compliance: Very very disturbing movie. 3.5/5

Hot Rod: Meaningless run of the mill "comedy" 2/5

How to lose friends and alienate people: Worth a timepass watch 3/5

Rescue Dawn: A bit of overacting on the part of Bale, but nonetheless an amazing movie. 3.5/5

Frost Vs Nixon: Good acting, tight storyline. 4/5
Old 29th July 2018, 14:33   #7075
Senior - BHPian

Watched Mission Impossible - Fallout last night. The movie is a good watch. Its lengthy (at 147 minutes) but never feels out of pace and keeps your gripped. The action sequences are choreographed well and have some amazing stunts and fights(especially in the party). I personally liked the locales shown during the climax. Do watch it and if possible in IMAX.

P.S : Do watch out for the card and bikes in the movie. Not very exotic though but quite good.
Old 30th July 2018, 05:12   #7076
Distinguished - BHPian

I watched Deadpool 2 today (finally!). While the movie was interesting just like the part 1, I just loved the end credits (I hope no one has missed it), too good.
Old 1st August 2018, 08:48   #7077
Distinguished - BHPian

Mission: Impossible - Fallout : 3.5 / 5

After 5 installments, you'd think Tom Cruise would have had enough of the series; but no, here's the sixth one! And if you thought the action scenes had reached the zenith level, well Cruise and team are in full mood to give the Fast & Furious series a fight for their money - be it jumping from high altitudes, fast paced car and bike chases or just twists and turns in the plots and sub-plots.

Well, turns out it ain't so bad; especially with Henry Cavill being able to play second fiddle to Cruise effort-lessly! And does quite a good job holding his ground for most part of the movie.

It's a loooong move at 2H 47M + interval time. But except for the last action scene which simply is too much dragged out, the movie is actually quite fast paced.

Trivia: The final action scene is supposed to be shot in India (/Himalayas), they mention it too in the scenes. But, there's a screen grab on an entrance sign on one of the tents; it's written in English and Urdu, while the location looks more like Norway than India or Pakistan. Wonder what's the actual place.

P.s. Leaving aside all the action and stunts, I still feel MI-2 is a class apart; none of the movies come close to that one

Last edited by ninjatalli : 1st August 2018 at 08:53.
Old 1st August 2018, 09:23   #7078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Trivia: The final action scene is supposed to be shot in India (/Himalayas), they mention it too in the scenes. But, there's a screen grab on an entrance sign on one of the tents; it's written in English and Urdu, while the location looks more like Norway than India or Pakistan. Wonder what's the actual place.

P.s. Leaving aside all the action and stunts, I still feel MI-2 is a class apart; none of the movies come close to that one
I read that they did not get permission to shoot in the Himalayas so shot in Switzerland. If you look carefully, in the first scenes in that region, there is a sign post which says "Field Office - Kashmir"
Old 1st August 2018, 09:56   #7079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

The Kashmir scene was shot in New Zealand. The only references left in the movie (after CBFC cuts) are mention of melting Siachen glacier with the bombs to create widespread destruction. I read that the other mentions of Kashmir were cut by CBFC as the movie referred to Kashmir as Indian Occupied Kashmir.
Old 1st August 2018, 19:15   #7080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
I read that they did not get permission to shoot in the Himalayas so shot in Switzerland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
The Kashmir scene was shot in New Zealand. The only references left in the movie (after CBFC cuts) are mention of melting Siachen glacier with the bombs to create widespread destruction.
Haha - where is it exactly?

Btw there's another reference - in the end when Cruise wakes up; the CIA (head?) agent tells him half the Indian army had to search for him or something like that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks