Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2018, 13:35   #6931
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Watched "Margin Call" a couple of days ago. It is based around the 2008 financial crisis and an investment bank. It shows how an organization is impacted by the crisis and how the employees react to it. Worth a watch.

I have watched "The Big Short" which was lot technical, informative and gave an insight to the 'ground' reality. It explained how and why the crisis happened.

Margin Call - 3.5/5
The Big Short - 4.5/5
Old 18th January 2018, 13:56   #6932
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
The Post
Rating: 4/5
Thanks for the review; agreed - 4 out of 5 stars.

Brilliant movie, but it's not for everyone. About 30% of the theatre walked out in the interval. It's a very slow drama.

I loved it though. For one, Meryl Streep is one of my favourites, as is Tom Hanks. Meryl totally owns Hanks in the movie though. She is spectacular!

Another reason I loved the movie is it's on a topic close to my heart - Freedom of the press. I have also faced the 'to publish or not to publish' question a lot of times and every time, if I have proof to back it up, I've chosen to publish.

Quote:
I had not watched too many of her movies earlier
Suggested list for you:

1. Iron Lady
2. The Devil wears Prada

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Margin Call - 3.5/5
The Big Short - 4.5/5
Both are excellent. I've seen each at least twice. If you liked them, I'd suggest:

1. Too big to fail
2. Inside Job
Old 18th January 2018, 15:44   #6933
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

I loved it though. For one, Meryl Streep is one of my favourites, as is Tom Hanks. Meryl totally owns Hanks in the movie though. She is spectacular!

Suggested list for you:

1. Iron Lady
2. The Devil wears Prada
Thanks GTO for the suggestions, will surely catch these up over a couple of weekends. I agree that the movie is slow and is therefore for a slightly more "mature" audience so to speak. Completely agree that Streep just killed it in her role. The way in which she takes the final decision in her living room, surrounded by the who's who of the newspaper in the wee hours of the night, actually had many in the theater clapping!! Certainly a good watch.

I suppose the Team BHP Mods will be facing the same issue every now and then. After all, these are industry behemoths whose reputations are at billion dollar stakes, which can be felled by the proverbial pen Great to know that you guys do not hesitate to publish when your facts/data are kosher.

Last edited by noopster : 31st January 2018 at 21:35. Reason: Removing spoilers
Old 18th January 2018, 20:14   #6934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Here is my list of movies that kind of meet your definition
I managed to pick up some more movies. Did i mention

12 Angry Men
Witness for the prosecution
A beautiful mind
Scully
One more movie i loved is The River Wild - a touch of action, but again brilliant
The war of Roses

But thanks for the suggestions. Look forward to more of these. The superhero flicks are killing my movie going. I now look for older movies

Last edited by GTO : 19th January 2018 at 09:23. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers. Thanks!
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:49   #6935
Distinguished - BHPian

Insidious: The Last Key

I guess it's better for them to end the series rather than spoil one of the best horror movie franchise of all time. This one is quite similar to it's previous one and we can expect more from them. Except for 2-3 really good scares, this movie is a big thumbs down.

Rating - 2/5
Old 23rd January 2018, 10:08   #6936
Senior - BHPian

Borg Vs McEnroe:

Nice movie to watch on a boring train ride to get back home. Good to see the man hiding behind the sportstar. Though both players have said it is more fiction than fact, it was a good movie to watch nonetheless.

Both actors really got into their roles.

3/5
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:03   #6937
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Both are excellent. I've seen each at least twice. If you liked them, I'd suggest:

1. Too big to fail
2. Inside Job
Thanks for the suggestions. They were on my radar since long. Hope to catch them over the coming long weekend.

I saw a few more movies over the last weekend on TV (Star Movies Select and &Prime show some fine movies most of the times).

The Good German: About a journalist trying to solve a murder mystery during WW-II. Slow movie with a good story. It's a good one time watch. Rating: 3/5

Men of Honour: Story of the first black US Navy diver, the first amputee diver and his trainer. Inspiring story and very good acting. Rating: 3.5/5

Larry Crowne: Sweet romantic comedy starring Tom Hanks. Rating: 3/5
Old 31st January 2018, 12:51   #6938
BHPian

The Shining

Watched this 1980 masterpiece again. Produced and Directed by Stanley Kubrick with great acting by Jack Nicholson.

The best Horror movie ever. As confirmed by IMBD with 8.4 rating.
Strongly Recommended.
Old 31st January 2018, 16:34   #6939
Senior - BHPian

Watched Papilion on a long train ride and it tugged at my soul like a lost puppy tugging your pant asking you to take it home.

One man's desperate attempts to taste freedom.

Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman really keep you engrossed in their characters.
Old 3rd February 2018, 20:00   #6940
BHPian

Watched 2 movies over friday and saturday night

Hidden Figures - Good watch and it shows racism and gender inequality to a certain extent. An interesting concept i found was the fact that Dorothy (one of the characters) is shown as a person with a keen sense of anticipating the future. This is a must watch. However, the script could have been made a little bit tighter
Rated 3.5/5

Marshall - Another movie on African American issues and this time around its a legal drama. Story is standard, but the way the screenplay was done is commendable. Ofcourse, it would have been better if the characters of Marshall was given more body. Why call it Marshall when the character does not do much to warrant this is a big question
Rated 3.5/5
Old 4th February 2018, 23:12   #6941
Team-BHP Support

Just saw The Post, the movie on the US Governments' (plural) coverup of their involvement in the Vietnam war.

Superb performances by everyone, Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks included. I'd rate it 3.5/5. The content is good; but the movie is terribly slow, especially in the beginning.

A movie on similar lines, Spotlight, was much more brilliant.

The Post is a good one-time watch though, just from the history point of view.
Old 5th February 2018, 16:01   #6942
BHPian

Watched the 2011 documentary film "Into the Abyss", written and directed by Werner Herzog. The documentary centres on two young men in prison convicted of a triple homicide which occurred in Conroe, Texas. They killed because they wanted to drive a friend's red Camaro.

A film which questions death sentence makes a very sad and depressing viewing.

Rated : 3.5/5
Old 6th February 2018, 11:32   #6943
BHPian

Watched "Life" on Amazon last night. It falls in the sci-fi/horror genre. I only saw it because my wife forced me to watch it since I anyways watch Transformers and Batman movies and this movie "is similar". Anyway, who am I to argue with her.

The movie is about 6 astronauts aboard a space probe and what they do after a sample of soil from Mars turns into an organism. Very nice acting skills from some well known actors like Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds. The plot is pretty gripping as well, and so is the twist in the end.

Good one time watch!
Old 6th February 2018, 11:35   #6944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifu View Post
The movie is about 6 astronauts aboard a space probe and what they do after a sample of soil from Mars turns into an organism. Very nice acting skills from some well known actors like Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds. The plot is pretty gripping as well, and so is the twist in the end.

Good one time watch!
The way the organism develops strength and intelligence is pretty unbelievable!
Old 7th February 2018, 17:42   #6945
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbopetrol View Post
The way the organism develops strength and intelligence is pretty unbelievable!
I saw Life recently. Not too impressed with the movie. It falls in the lines of Alien with a little bit of twist. However the plot has been trashed for a long time. The saving grace was that the alien was cute to start with rather than being all liquid and gore.

Can we not have a fairly intelligent good looking alien who can terrorize the colonists. Stephen king did something good with IT and the clown.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks