Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2017, 23:15   #6796
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
When was the last time you saw a historic sort of movie about wars and kings but editing like that of Snatch or Lock Stock & Two Smoking Barrels.

I got really excited when I saw Guy Ritchie's name as director in the starting credits and my oh my, what a movie this was, highly recommended!

King Arthur - Legend of the Sword
Lol - this was one crappy movie IMO. An impressive cast, but the movie turned out to be a joke trying to mix multiple genres, and failing miserably!
Rottentomatoes rates it at a measly 28%, in comparison, Snatch is at 73% while LSTSB is at 76%.

KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE SWORD : 1.5/5
Old 2nd August 2017, 00:02   #6797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Lol - this was one crappy movie IMO. An impressive cast, but the movie turned out to be a joke trying to mix multiple genres, and failing miserably!
Rottentomatoes rates it at a measly 28%, in comparison, Snatch is at 73% while LSTSB is at 76%.

Rottentomatoes rating mean nothing at all. Critics have rated great movies on RT so bad folks won't believe it.

Cast wasn't too impressive actually given what other WB movies manage on regular basis but sharp editing and amazing special effects made it a really fun watch.

By the way, RT rating for Dunkirk is outstanding but the movie is probably Nolan's worst in recent times. Background score and cinematography can only take you so far. Critics don't mean much and it boils down to individual taste a lot of times.

Even Guy Ritchie has made bad movies like Revolver starring Jason Statham but I never expected a movie like King Arthur to have Guy Ritchie flavour.
Old 2nd August 2017, 00:55   #6798
Team-BHP Support

For what's it's worth, I saw this movie and after with the rating.

Especially hated the parts where the discussion of beating the Viking sailors is presented in the same quick cut style. That was nice in snatch. In this movie it was so over exaggerated, it looked ridiculous.
Old 2nd August 2017, 07:50   #6799
Senior - BHPian

Baby Driver. Not to be missed by the petrol head. No fancy computer graphics at play here. Ansel Elgort did learn how to drive the way he did in the movie and what a driver!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/baby_driver/
Old 2nd August 2017, 18:16   #6800
Senior - BHPian

Agree with 1.5/5 rating for KING ARTHUR: LEGEND OF THE Sword. It's probably the worst Guy Richie movie I've seen.

First Zhang Yimou (The great wall) and now Guy Richie. Two really bad movies from two directors who I really like a lot.
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:39   #6801
BHPian

Some Suggestions from me:

1) Captain Fantastic (Absolutely loved it)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3553976/?ref_=tt_rec_tti
2) Kings of Summer
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2179116/?ref_=nv_sr_4
3) Moonrise Kingdom
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1748122/
4) Hunt for the Wilder People
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4698684/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Post your feedback soon
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:03   #6802
Senior - BHPian

I felt King Arthur was an OK movie to watch on a lazy sunday afternoon. I wanted more magical beasts and war but it was ok i guess. Great soundtrack. I can't stop singing the lines to The Devil and The Huntsman song by Sam Lee.

Watched The Belko Experiment during the weekend. Crazy it was
Old 6th August 2017, 03:32   #6803
BHPian

Dunkirk : 6/10

Not really my cup of tea, to be honest. It's too serious. Besides, each of Nolan's movies till now have been about something spectacular. The concept, specifically. No one has made something like that before.

Dunkirk however, is bland. Sure there's some really amazing cinematography and camera work involved. But it doesn't feel like a movie that I'd want to watch again and again.
Old 7th August 2017, 08:41   #6804
Team-BHP Support

Insomnia: 2/5

This was the only Nolan movie I hadn't seen so kept aside an evening for it. A stellar cast to go with Nolan: Al Pacino, Robin Williams, Hillary Swank.

Slightly uncharacteristic of a Nolan movie, as there was one thread (as opposed to the other movies where there are several interwoven threads that play in parallel) and fairly slow.

Doesn't really keep you at the edge of your seat; the only movie Nolan has made that he hasn't written.
Old 7th August 2017, 10:42   #6805
Senior - BHPian

Dunkirk - 5/5

I loved Dunkirk!!! Most of us are carrying too much baggage while watching Dunkirk IMO. Consider the case in isolation and you will realize it is one of the best movies and especially one of the best war movies ever made.

It is purely a director's movie. With no superstars, except Nolan's favorite, Tom Hardy, one would think that this movie may not sail. But that actually works in its favor as this story has no single hero or single villain. As is typical and characteristic of Nolan, multiple plots come together as the story moves ahead. Weaving of one week of marine events, one day of land events and one hour of air events is immaculate.

One of the best things about the movie is that the 'enemy' is faceless in the entire movie. The only tangible presence of the enemy are the fighter planes. However, even without showing the actual enemy, you feel the extreme tension, fear and anxiety felt by the British, French, Dutch and other allies' soldiers. The lead character's desperate attempts to somehow escape from the Dunkirk city are shown really well and well acted too. The actors have very very few dialogues, so it's purely about expressions and body language of the actors, and they have done a fabulous job. The last scene of the movie is heart-wrenching.

Of source, the soundtrack is Nolan's USP and this movie is no exception. Take a bow Hans Zimmer ! And the cinematography is mind blowing too. The aerial shots are simply amazing.

I simply cannot find a fault in the movie. Some may find the screenplay a bit confusing, as the three events go back and forth in time, but you need to have patience as the pieces of the puzzle start coming together as the story progresses.

My recommendation - Go watch it. You MUST.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 7th August 2017 at 10:50.
Old 7th August 2017, 10:56   #6806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Insomnia: 2/5
This is definitely Nolan's worst. I watched this being hyped about Nolan after watching Memento, Batman Begins and Prestige. I was barely able to watch this. This being a remake, I guess Nolan had very little to play with. Also, Jonathan Nolan was missing in this who has been instrumental in writing those gripping stories.
Old 7th August 2017, 14:20   #6807
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
This is definitely Nolan's worst. I watched this being hyped about Nolan after watching Memento, Batman Begins and Prestige. I was barely able to watch this. This being a remake, I guess Nolan had very little to play with. Also, Jonathan Nolan was missing in this who has been instrumental in writing those gripping stories.
Oh, I didn't know it was a remake until you mentioned. I looked it up, looks like Nolan has changed the end. The Norwegian film has followed the Bollywood theme
Old 7th August 2017, 20:56   #6808
Senior - BHPian

Detroit: Movie about racist cops and riots in the working class Detroit area. This movie has a decent storline but is present in a very slow fashion. Its long by about 45 minutes to make it interesting.

1.5/5
Old 10th August 2017, 15:34   #6809
GTO
Team-BHP Support

If you like political dramas, here is a true story you must watch. Easily 5 /5 stars. It's comical how John McCain chose Sarah Palin as his running mate, and how DUMB she was in current affairs.

Old 10th August 2017, 17:23   #6810
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiteinjustice View Post
3) Moonrise Kingdom
If you like Wes Anderson's way of making movies. You can try his other movies as well:

1. Grand Budapest Hotel
2. Rushmore
3. Royal Tenenbaums

Would like to see Fantastic Mr. Fox and Life Acquatic with Steve Zissou sometime.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks